2018 Draft Recap Thread

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

omg...let it go

I agree with you, they need to let it go or try to understand the plan the Raiders had.  All they got was a 3rd rounder, blah blah...  Anyone who says that clearly doesn't understand or they have no clue the type of WR Bryant is. 

I am sure the Raiders have been trying to trade for Bryant for months, Pit was asking for a 3rd rounder and we didn't want to give ours up that's why the trade occurred on draft day. 

People want to complain about how we didn't get enough compensation but you clearly are missing the big picture here.  The front office knew exactly what they were going to do when they landed the extra 3rd and that pick was going to be flipped for Bryant.  I have a feeling that the Raiders plan all along was to trade back acquire a 3rd for Bryant and draft Miller.  

I am also not buying the media garbage about how we would have stayed at 10 if Mcglinchy was there.  Our plan all along was to trade back to acquire a pick for Bryant and draft Miller.  Basically our first rounder netted us Miller and Bryant.  Not a bad haul considering the 49ers stayed at 9 and took a OT that most had rated very closely to Miller.  There is no doubt I would rather walk away from the first round with Bryant and Miller over McGlinchy any day of the week.  

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree with you, they need to let it go or try to understand the plan the Raiders had.  All they got was a 3rd rounder, blah blah...  Anyone who says that clearly doesn't understand or they have no clue the type of WR Bryant is. 

I am sure the Raiders have been trying to trade for Bryant for months, Pit was asking for a 3rd rounder and we didn't want to give ours up that's why the trade occurred on draft day. 

People want to complain about how we didn't get enough compensation but you clearly are missing the big picture here.  The front office knew exactly what they were going to do when they landed the extra 3rd and that pick was going to be flipped for Bryant.  I have a feeling that the Raiders plan all along was to trade back acquire a 3rd for Bryant and draft Miller.  

I am also not buying the media garbage about how we would have stayed at 10 if Mcglinchy was there.  Our plan all along was to trade back to acquire a pick for Bryant and draft Miller.  Basically our first rounder netted us Miller and Bryant.  Not a bad haul considering the 49ers stayed at 9 and took a OT that most had rated very closely to Miller.  There is no doubt I would rather walk away from the first round with Bryant and Miller over McGlinchy any day of the week.  

Actually, we got an extra 5th as well, so it helped us to net Hurst too!

I was not to happy at first, Kolton and then PJ. Not because I didnt like either player but because of who else was left when we picked. Now with that said all the rest of the picks kind of made up for it and if you arrange them differently it looks much better to us armchair fans. The one thing I would have liked to see was a better LB but the pool was limited. Genard Avery would have been nice late but late round guys are usually hit or miss anyway. I liked that I should not have to hear about drafted an OT again for a couple years, hopefully. I liked that they doubled down on DL also been wanting that for a while. Probably would have liked to have a Safety at some point, still a need. 

1. M. Hurst

2. K. Miller

3. A. Key

3. P.J. Hall

3. M. Bryant

4. N. Nelson

5. B. Parker

5. A. Victor

6. M. Ateman

7. J. Townsend

23 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Well I am flattered. I planned on doing a detailed breakdown of the Giants offseason over the next few weeks in the Giants forum.

As far as the Raiders, it was definitely the most interesting draft this year. I expected Gruden to make some goofy decisions, and he certainly did, especially early on. But, the critics are right when they say the Raiders probably had the best day 3. The Hurst situation is well documented, but I really like the Ateman, Parker, and Townsend picks as well. There are lots of boom or bust potential picks in this draft. It is probably the 2nd most volatile draft behind the Bills; it is at least top-5. Tom Cable is a big phony, so until he is gone, I don't think Miller or Parker have a chance. I like Parker more than Kolton Miller as far as succeeding in the NFL. 

There is stuff to really like, and a few things to really hate. Ultimately, it comes down to how well you think your coaching staff can perform and get the most out of some of these talented but raw players. They ended strong and got a lot of value on day 3, so its definitely worth looking at in a hopeful light. 

100% agree.  Was 2016 a fluke year for the coaches, players or was coaching so bad last year that even our pro bowlers looked bad.  We have no clue how much talent we have on D because of the difference between Pagano and Norton.  Under Norton we were a bottom five D while with Pagano we were 12-15.

This draft could be a home run or strike out. A lot of emphasis was placed on need over best player early. Post draft, here is my breakdown:

• Addressing the OT position

It was clear early in the offseason, this was an area Gruden saw as a weakness. This was probably a bigger weakness than some gave credit for.  This was a poor class of OT talent and they made sure to grab two high upside guys early, avoiding what looked like better talent on the board. This now falls 100% on Tom Cable, who let's face it, was not an inspiring hire to start with and his past history is a little rough in terms of developing Oline talent.

Plus side.... both these guys (Miller/Parker) get to slide into a veteran unit and one of the best interiors in football. 

• Addressing pass rush 

Opposite Tom Cable, Mike Trgovac and Guenther's staff I trust to get the most out of their new players. The additions of Hall and Hurst put direct targets on some underachievers on the team (MEJ) whom Gruden has called out previously. Key is a nice piece whom if he can regain form is a nice situational pass rusher this season with upside for more.

• Everyone else

Nelson - Need position. Don't like he won't be ready for a bit. I wanted Hamilton on the clock (who went to Denver)

Townsend - This was a need because Gruden created the need. I like the player. But you won't sell me on John Kelly not being a better value at the spot

Victor - Late day flier on a guy whom lost his way. Guenther is said to be good with these types, let's hope he can play early on a bad LB unit.

Arteman - Andre Holmes redux. Flier in the 7th. Guy you feel like if he ran a 4.4 instead a 4.6 he'd been drafted earlier

• Trades

Round 1 trade down was fine. I just don't like the taking Miller over James whom I think will be stud for Chargers

Bryant for a 3rd. Not going to get into the contract, suspensions, etc. Fact is...he's a nice piece and exactly what this offense has lacked for a decade. Worry about the other stuff in time.

Round 2 trade down. Wasn't a fan given Landry, Jackson, Miller, were all on the board. Better value than Hall. Easier to say as well knowing they got Hurst in round 5.

Does changing the order we drafted make our overall draft look better?  I saw someone change up where the players we drafted were taken and our draft looks much stronger than it does when looking at it as it actually happened.

1) M. Hurst

2) A. Key

3) K. Miller

3) N. Nelson

4) P.J. Hall

5) B. Parker

5) M. Ateman

6) J. Townsend 

7) A. Victor

I know a lot of people don't like the risk being taken with M. Hurst but he was projected to be a first round pick before the heart issue came up.  There were some people in this forum that were still saying they'd be happy if we traded back into the 20s and took him.  I think when you look at our draft in this order and review it based upon talent only, you see a pretty good draft class.  I think most analysts are reviewing this draft and knocking their grade down based upon M. Hurst's heart condition and A. Key's off-the-field issues.  I also read somewhere that M. Bryant had a son last year.  I think that played a huge part in his success last season and I think it will play a big part in him doing well in the NFL.  I also think a lot of people are too worried about being able to afford him after this year.  According to Overthecap.com, we're projected to have about 50 million in cap space next year so I think we have a pretty good shot at retaining him if it all works out.  

Now that the draft is over, when does the regular season start?  Sunday right?  The Raiders are playing Sunday?  After FA and the draft, I'm ready for the season to start.  I hope we win the superbowl.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

According to Overthecap.com, we're projected to have about 50 million in cap space next year so I think we have a pretty good shot at retaining him if it all works out.  

56M before Mack's extension and the 2018's rookies being signed. So that should be under 30M.

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

56M before Mack's extension and the 2018's rookies being signed. So that should be under 30M.

And the A. Cooper extension.  But that should still leave around 20 million for whoever earns it.  Such as R. Melvin, M. Bryant, J. Cook, and M. Edwards.  We don't have a lot of players that need to be resigned after this year that are big names other than K. Mack and A. Cooper.

Personally liked the draft alot. We added an explosive weapon via trade, drafted 5 guys to bolster the trenches, and upgraded our special teams. Adding Key, Hurst, and Hall makes me alot less concerned about our LB corps, especially on the interior which has been underwhelming for years and were we were looking at Jelly/Vanderdoes/Edwards as our main rotation.

And yall are sleeping on Townsend. Watch his tape. He still needs work on his placement but Basaccia will iron that out. You cant learn leg strength like he has. Ball straight explodes off his foot.

10 hours ago, Jerry said:

Does changing the order we drafted make our overall draft look better?  I saw someone change up where the players we drafted were taken and our draft looks much stronger than it does when looking at it as it actually happened.

1) M. Hurst

2) A. Key

3) K. Miller

3) N. Nelson

4) P.J. Hall

5) B. Parker

5) M. Ateman

6) J. Townsend 

7) A. Victor

I know a lot of people don't like the risk being taken with M. Hurst but he was projected to be a first round pick before the heart issue came up.  There were some people in this forum that were still saying they'd be happy if we traded back into the 20s and took him.  I think when you look at our draft in this order and review it based upon talent only, you see a pretty good draft class.  I think most analysts are reviewing this draft and knocking their grade down based upon M. Hurst's heart condition and A. Key's off-the-field issues.  I also read somewhere that M. Bryant had a son last year.  I think that played a huge part in his success last season and I think it will play a big part in him doing well in the NFL.  I also think a lot of people are too worried about being able to afford him after this year.  According to Overthecap.com, we're projected to have about 50 million in cap space next year so I think we have a pretty good shot at retaining him if it all works out.  

Now that the draft is over, when does the regular season start?  Sunday right?  The Raiders are playing Sunday?  After FA and the draft, I'm ready for the season to start.  I hope we win the superbowl.

No, it just makes it more frustrating.  The fact we could have had Hurst, Key, Nelson + the chance at Edmunds or James in the 1st and Guice or Oliver in the 2nd makes me upset.  We needed OL at some point so I get a few of these picks would have gone towards those positions, but a James or Edmunds takes our D to the next level with the other talent already there.  I don’t think Miller helps our O as much as one of those guys would have helped our D.  

5 hours ago, daineraider said:

No, it just makes it more frustrating.  The fact we could have had Hurst, Key, Nelson + the chance at Edmunds or James in the 1st and Guice or Oliver in the 2nd makes me upset.  We needed OL at some point so I get a few of these picks would have gone towards those positions, but a James or Edmunds takes our D to the next level with the other talent already there.  I don’t think Miller helps our O as much as one of those guys would have helped our D.  

Agree here. Edmunds (who I wasn't even a big fan of) or James would have added some much needed team speed on defense.

We're back to relying on young guys to step up at both positions again. Hasn't worked for the last 5 years

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree here. Edmunds (who I wasn't even a big fan of) or James would have added some much needed team speed on defense.

We're back to relying on young guys to step up at both positions again. Hasn't worked for the last 5 years

So you'd rather have more team speed, which is only one player out of 11, than keeping your $125 million QB upright? I personally prefer protecting our QB from getting his azz beat by the pass rushers we have to face 6 times a season.

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

So you'd rather have more team speed, which is only one player out of 11, than keeping your $125 million QB upright? I personally prefer protecting our QB from getting his azz beat by the pass rushers we have to face 6 times a season.

I think we all agree that OL was needed, what we don’t agree on is the value of Miller where he was taken.  There were much better players available and we reached on a player with potential.  There were two ready to play guys on defense that would be Day 1 impact starters.  Miller may start day 1, but he isn’t nearly as pro ready as the other guys.

45 minutes ago, daineraider said:

I think we all agree that OL was needed, what we don’t agree on is the value of Miller where he was taken.  There were much better players available and we reached on a player with potential.  There were two ready to play guys on defense that would be Day 1 impact starters.  Miller may start day 1, but he isn’t nearly as pro ready as the other guys.

They have potential to be day one impact starters just like Miller.

24 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

They have potential to be day one impact starters just like Miller.

Indeed. James and Edmunds were ranked higher but they're upside picks as well. Their athleticism is what made so highly regarded.

Archived