2018 Draft Recap Thread

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Indeed. James and Edmunds were ranked higher but they're upside picks as well. Their athleticism is what made so highly regarded.

That is the same with Miller tbh. He is very athletic for a T and physically is an o-line coaches dream. If he can get his technique/balance issues solved (his main issues), he could be a dominant player at a premium position for a long time.

everyone is saying we reached on MIller, but BMore(who traded back after we picked him) and NE(who took the next OT) were both rumored to be interested. OT was a much bigger need and Miller was the best available. THe kid has things you cant teach and if he ends up being our LToTF he is much more valuable than a hybrid S/LB and a raw LB. A lot of guys are assuming James and Edmunds are sure things, they were available for a reason. My biggest issue was passing on Minkah, but trading back landed us Bryant and helped get Hurst, so it worked out pretty well.

We could potentially only be without a long term option at RB and TE after this draft. Martavis makes us a lot more explosive offensively. We added much needed interior pass rush. Traded a bust for a return man and potential slot WR. Added a situational pass rusher, who could will help keep Mack and Irvin fresh. Nelson can be an upgrade over TJ Carrie, who a lot of us wanted to bring back and Nelson will cost a fraction of the cost. Our young OTs will also, allow us to cut Penn after the season and save 10m in cap space.

The best thing about this draft, is that we actually have a staff who can be trusted to develop young talent, which couldn't be said about JDR & Co. It was onbvious there was going to be change in philosophy with Gruden on board, we picked up players that fit his vision. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That is the same with Miller tbh. He is very athletic for a T and physically is an o-line coaches dream. If he can get his technique/balance issues solved (his main issues), he could be a dominant player at a premium position for a long time.

Yes, that's what i was trying to say. Those 3 players are athletic freaks. It's well documented Edmunds had work to do on his reads to put his athleticism to better use. Imo, James is far from a polished safety. And it's the same with Miller. They're all boom or bust. Now it's up to the coaches to turn them into something.

20 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Yes, that's what i was trying to say. Those 3 players are athletic freaks. It's well documented Edmunds had work to do on his reads to put his athleticism to better use. Imo, James is far from a polished safety. And it's the same with Miller. They're all boom or bust. Now it's up to the coaches to turn them into something.

Thank you

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

This is my only fear. Tom Cable is a bum. His tenure un Seattle was pretty shaky. He didn't develop anything.

That said, this group as a whole is a different animal. You have a tier 1 interior Oline to work with and help these rookie tackles. I feel good with Miller/Parker with KO/Gabe protecting that inside shoulder.

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is my only fear. Tom Cable is a bum. His tenure un Seattle was pretty shaky. He didn't develop anything.

That said, this group as a whole is a different animal. You have a tier 1 interior Oline to work with and help these rookie tackles. I feel good with Miller/Parker with KO/Gabe protecting that inside shoulder.

Add in the blocking TE's and FB

16 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

They have potential to be day one impact starters just like Miller.

Sure everyone theoretically has potential to be a day 1 starter.  The argument isn’t that Kolton doesn’t have that potential but that he has a lower chance of becoming a good player than a lot of the other talent that was available.  I’m rooting for the kid and I love the idea of getting OTs given our need and the economic value of the position but I’m not going to engage in confirmation bias with him.  If I’m wrong (and it seems like a decent amount of NFL teams thought very highly of him) I’ll gladly admit it.

Jon Gruden : “ We drafted a safety two years ago in the first round and one last year in the 2nd round . We can’t keep drafting safety’s with premium draft picks . We have to do a better job coaching & developing these guys .”

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

wow...Nick Nelson is Russell Wilson part 2

both with Carolina ties

both ended college in Wisconsin 

both went in the 4th

both 5'11 B|:D

mindblown.... Russell Wilson impact

Wilson went in the 3rd round.

I'm not as high on Nelson as others seem to be. I'm not a fan of drafting slot corners who likely won't be able to cut it outside. He's very short armed and is very grabby at the top of routes. And for as stocky he is, he isn't a sound tackler. I think he'll struggle if he's asked to play starting snaps early.

Archived