DEN - BUF Trade Offer - What Would You Have Done?

Broncofan

Do You Trade Or Stay at 1.5?   

40 members have voted

1. 1. I would:

• Stay at 1.5 and 3.71
    • Trade down to 1.12 1.22 2.56

So, Elway through DEN's beat reporter confirmed that BUF offered the following : 

for 

Confirmed here -http://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/a-look-inside-elways-day-1-strategy-why-chubb-trumped-bills-hefty-trade-offer/73-546939481 (So the offer is confirmed as true, not speculation).

Denver needs (if we don’t go QBOTF) were OL, ILB, WR, TE, CB, RB.   Yes we kinda suck lol.   Plus we have a  really bad cap situation in 2019 and too many bad contacts with aging stars.  So we can’t miss and need help everywhere. 

With hindsight it’s been suggested thus would have been our best case scenario: 

1.12 Vea 

1.22 Wynn or Hernandez at G

2.56 Oliver CB  

3.99 Best RB (not known if Freeman falls so have to assume another one)  

Instead of: 

1.5 Chubb 

3.71 Freeman 

3.99 CB Iyadom

To be clear we aren’t saying you get to change the other DEN picks.   Those are the picks that are directly affected.  Our reporters are doing those picks too as fodder for discussion.     

The DEN forum is pretty much almost all on board with Elway passing, for 3 reasons:

1.  No guarantee Elway would have made the best-case picks (passing on Freeman at 3.71 and going Oliver at 2.56, then taking a RB at 3.99, and say, going with Isiaih Henrnandez or Wynn at 1.22.  Vea probably yes, but even then - if Tampa doesn't move back, can't say for sure they don't take Vea at 1.7 either.  Then our draft result above completely changes). 

2.  More importantly, at 1.5, there was no way for Elway to know how the picks would run.  At 2.40, or a 3.71 or 3.99, or even at 5.149, when Elway traded picks, you have a very good idea of how the Big Board is going.  You don't at 1.5, not for 50+ picks later.    So it's entirely hindsight at 1.5 to project 50 picks later.   

3. Chubb to us at 1.5, Elway believes he's elite.  If he's not, then it's a bad move.  But if you believe it (Elway had him as 3 overall, and in the elite tier).  

Given that, pretty much everyone in the DEN forum is on board with Chubb at 1.5....but it's fun to hear what BUF was offering.  Unlike the Draft rumors, now it's concrete.

BUF is obviously happy that they didn't have to pay as much, obviously.   

But if you are Elway - do you stay with Chubb 1.5 or do you take that deal?   Remember you only can change those pick results.  And if you trade - who are you taking?   Have at it!  

I think Chubb and Miller on the same team is going to be a major pain in the butt to deal with. I loved Chubb and think he will be an awesome NFL player. But I still think I would prefer a trade down myself. One great player or 3 very good players is kind of how I see it. Maybe that is the Raiders in me and seeing how Mack but no one else to help being frustrating haha.

It's close though.

Honestly, I would have taken Chubb. I am on the Chubb is elite bandwagon and this class was weak with edge rushers. Derwin at 12 wouldn't have been a bad consolation prize but I would have never thought he'd fall that far (and not a high need for Denver). This was a top heavy draft too so pick 1.22 is really a second round caliber player.  Usually I would trade down, and definitely would have if the Browns/Giants drafted Chubb instead of Ward (plenty of comparable DBs to draft in the first).

9 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Honestly, I would have taken Chubb. I am on the Chubb is elite bandwagon and this class was weak with edge rushers. Derwin at 12 wouldn't have been a bad consolation prize but I would have never thought he'd fall that far (and not a high need for Denver). This was a top heavy draft too so pick 1.22 is really a second round caliber player.  Usually I would trade down, and definitely would have if the Browns/Giants drafted Chubb instead of Ward (plenty of comparable DBs to draft in the first).

If Chubb goes 1.4 absolutely we do the deal.   Elway took Rosen off the board (I wouldn’t but gotta be realistic too if he’s not being considered can’t throw that into this Q).  He had Darnold - Mayfield - Chubb - trade back as his priority list.  Said as much to Klis before 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If Chubb goes 1.4 absolutely we do the deal.   Elway took Rosen off the board (I wouldn’t but gotta be realistic too if he’s not being considered can’t throw that into this Q).  He had Darnold - Mayfield - Chubb - trade back as his priority list.  Said as much to Klis before 

I don't understand why Elway would take Rosen off his board. Sure, Rosen is a tool but so was Elway. What a hypocrite xD

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well to be precise he wasn’t in our top 6.  But yeah I hear that. 

I knew a guy that was a Denver cab driver and took him to the airport one time. Asked for his autograph and Elway talked trash to him. Wouldn’t sign it and made fun of him for being a cab driver.

I think it depends on the team.  If I’m the Broncos(I’m not, I hate them) I’m happy with how it worked out.  Pairing Miller with Chubb is unfair for any team that plays them.  Especially when Shane Ray is pretty decent as a 3rd rush option.  I think Bronco fans will be very happy with the way it worked out.

I would have traded back. Chubb is great and all. But 2 firsts and an extra 2nd? Could have also made another trade back depending on what phone calls were made from that 12th spot. But the first round for denver could have been

1st- Edmunds/Davenport

1st-  Wynn/ Connor/ Hernandez/ or a slew of other linemen that could have helped out their offense.

Not to mention an extra 2nd that would have landed them Guice in the 2nd as well.

That would have filled alot of holes on that team.

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I would have traded back. Chubb is great and all. But 2 firsts and an extra 2nd? Could have also made another trade back depending on what phone calls were made from that 12th spot. But the first round for denver could have been

1st- Edmunds/Davenport

1st-  Wynn/ Connor/ Hernandez/ or a slew of other linemen that could have helped out their offense.

Not to mention an extra 2nd that would have landed them Guice in the 2nd as well.

That would have filled alot of holes on that team.

Wouldn’t have taken Guice. They took all team captains, all were seniors (Sutton graduated already despite one year left of eligibility), all were high character guys. 

Archived