The 2022/23 Buffalo Sabres Thread

BillsGuy82

22 hours ago, leeevans83d said:

Should be an interesting next couple of weeks with the O'reilly situation. Doubt we keep him at this point. He is a good guy and a good teammate it seems but it just doesn't seem to be working here. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Ideally, I'd like us to send him straight up for Max Pacioretty with Patches signing an extension but that seems to be the hold up.

Not liking our draft after Dahlin. We passed on a couple quality Canadian Forwards for toolsy American players who are alot riskier. Pegulas love fest with American Hockey is holding us back. I understand he is a major donor but come on now.

55 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Ideally, I'd like us to send him straight up for Max Pacioretty with Patches signing an extension but that seems to be the hold up.

Not liking our draft after Dahlin. We passed on a couple quality Canadian Forwards for toolsy American players who are alot riskier. Pegulas love fest with American Hockey is holding us back. I understand he is a major donor but come on now.

I don't know anything about Hockey but I read that 5 of the 6 Sabres draft picks we're from a foreign country....

6 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

I don't know anything about Hockey but I read that 5 of the 6 Sabres draft picks we're from a foreign country....

Yea, where theyre born and where they play Junior are 2 completely different things. Matej Pekar (Czech) and Mattias Samuelsson (Sweden) are both product of playing stateside. We lack defensively responsible forwards both in Buffalo and in prospect pool and we definitely didn't address that so far this off season. I hope we change that before TC.

On 6/23/2018 at 8:00 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

Ew. Straight up for Pacioretty would be an awful return for us. A 27 year old two-way center like O'Reilly is far more valuable than a declining, and contract expiring LW in Patches. We'd 100% need to be getting some legit prospects in return as well. 

I don't think the Pegulas are to blame for the draft at all. Botts has a record going back to Pittsburgh of taking mostly players outside the Canadian hockey leagues. He was on record saying he avoids them particularly in the later rounds because you don't get to hold onto their rights for as long. It's actually smart. 

What's not to like about Mattias Samuelsson? He's a 6'-4" defensemen with great qualities. Kris Baker (sabres prospects writer) had him ranked #20 overall. I thought it was great value and takes a position group that was really lacking in depth, to being amongst the strengths of our team when you add in the other selections from last year and this year. Beyond Samuelsson there were some questionable picks, but honestly how often are those picks going to significantly impact your roster? Not often. I don't know much about the guys, and I doubt most fans do.

3 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

Ew. Straight up for Pacioretty would be an awful return for us. A 27 year old two-way center like O'Reilly is far more valuable than a declining, and contract expiring LW in Patches. We'd 100% need to be getting some legit prospects in return as well. 

I don't think the Pegulas are to blame for the draft at all. Botts has a record going back to Pittsburgh of taking mostly players outside the Canadian hockey leagues. He was on record saying he avoids them particularly in the later rounds because you don't get to hold onto their rights for as long. It's actually smart. 

What's not to like about Mattias Samuelsson? He's a 6'-4" defensemen with great qualities. Kris Baker (sabres prospects writer) had him ranked #20 overall. I thought it was great value and takes a position group that was really lacking in depth, to being amongst the strengths of our team when you add in the other selections from last year and this year. Beyond Samuelsson there were some questionable picks, but honestly how often are those picks going to significantly impact your roster? Not often. I don't know much about the guys, and I doubt most fans do.

I really liked Akil Thomas, Ryan McLeod and Jonaton Berrgren to start 2nd round. As for Pacioretty it would've been contingent on an extension which Patches wasn't willing to do. I never said anything about Pacioretty as a rental. That was the rumor. ROR is a very tough contract to move, don't give your hopes up on a tasty return.

Love the Sheary trade. Good value for both sides. 

On 6/26/2018 at 6:52 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

I really liked Akil Thomas, Ryan McLeod and Jonaton Berrgren to start 2nd round. As for Pacioretty it would've been contingent on an extension which Patches wasn't willing to do. I never said anything about Pacioretty as a rental. That was the rumor. ROR is a very tough contract to move, don't give your hopes up on a tasty return.

I was looking hard at Akil Thomas, Bode Wilde and Berggren as well. Samuelsson is still great value. Guess we'll have to wait and see. At the end of the day we won the lottery with Dahlin, so anything else is a bonus in my mind.

Patches even with an extension is not at all equal to ROR. I think you're overrating him.. like I mentioned before, he's a winger on the decline. Centers have a significant value and ROR is younger and better overall.  

On RORs contract being an issue, I completely disagree. Given he's 27 year old center in his prime... and with the cap continuing to go up, 7.5 mil per year is, or will be, the going rate for a player of his caliber. Teams are trading for a contract that's already signed for another 5 years. That has positive value! 

A contract that would be tough to move would be someone like Kyle Okposo. Older, bad year, and locked up long term. I hope he bounces back.

The latest rumor is Botts wants a 1st, 2nd, and a high-end prospect. (Patches isn't worth that, just for reference). STL makes the most sense and they have been confirmed as interested. I keep hearing Parayko being involved as a piece too. If you follow the rumored asking price, we'll probably see something like 1st, 2nd, and either Robert Thomas or Jordan Kyrou.

We'll see how that plays out than.. What Botts and Sabres fans want and how the rest of the league views ROR is 2 different things. There is alot of people who would disagree with ROR being better than Pacioretty not to mention we have need for 1 maybe 2 top 6 wingers. O'Reilly has been disappointing at times the last couple seasons.

I'm not saying he's bad by any means but we're not talking legit number 1 Center here even though he's being paid like one.

Side note Sabres signed Carter Hutton which I like alot. I feel he's an underrated guy around the league 

• 1 month later...

Pretty big trade for us 

Sabres get

LW Jeff Skinner

Canes get 

C Cliff Pu

2019 2nd round pick

2020 3rd round pick

2020 6th round pick

Really like this deal for us. We acquire a top 6 winger that we desperately needed without giving up a top prospect or our 1st rounder. We still have multiple 2019 1's with the pick we got for Evander Kane.

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

Sheary - Mittlestadt - Okposo

Sobotka - Berglund - Pominville

Wilson - Girgensons - Rodrigues

Larsson, Thompson

Ristolainen - Scandella

Bogosian - Dahlin 

Hunwick - Beaulieu

McCabe 

Hutton - Ullmark 

Not a bad looking team heading into next year.

On 8/2/2018 at 6:57 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

Sheary - Mittlestadt - Okposo

Sobotka - Berglund - Pominville

Wilson - Girgensons - Rodrigues

Larsson, Thompson

Ristolainen - Scandella

Bogosian - Dahlin 

Hunwick - Beaulieu

McCabe 

Hutton - Ullmark 

Not a bad looking team heading into next year.

You said it man! Can’t wait for the hockey season to start up to see what we’ve got. I think we all knew the attitude in that room needed to change. I’m obviously excited for foootball to start but also excited to see where this team goes. Love the trades so far. 

• 1 month later...