Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BillsGuy82

The 2018-2019 Buffalo Sabres Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Not a better top line in hockey right now than Skinner, Eichel and Reinhart.

Legit chance Eichel and Dahlin win Hart and Calder Trophies. Big day for Buffalo sports 

Eichel has been incredible of late and Skinner just can't stop scoring. Really big to win three out of four after that skid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone watching The Sabres Tuesday against the Blue Jackets, look for yours truly as I scored front row tickets behind the Sabres bench. I'll be wearing my Blue Miller Jersey but my wife will have the old 90's red alternate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 8:51 AM, Maxmw22 said:

For anyone watching The Sabres Tuesday against the Blue Jackets, look for yours truly as I scored front row tickets behind the Sabres bench. I'll be wearing my Blue Miller Jersey but my wife will have the old 90's red alternate.

Man I wish I read this before watching the game! That's awesome, you saw a good game too. I went up north to catch the Sabres-Red Wings game last weekend. Got my brother and dad tickets as well, it was their first Sabres game. We had a great time and got the win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was so hyped for this team 2 months ago, now I don't see them making the playoffs. Still where they should be in terms of development

What they need to do is stay away from the American Collegiate and European ranks for a draft or 2 and they need to revamp that defense and add some secondary scoring

Never seen a team collapse late in games so much in my life, when the physicality and tenacity picks up they wilt under pressure, get some CHL kids in our system who are experienced in physicality. The NCAA and Europeans just aren't use to that style of play and 90% of our team comes from those ranks

Phil Housley has to go as well which won't happen this off season, same few guys making the same mistakes falls on the coaching

Edited by BillsGuy82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I was so hyped for this team 2 months ago, now I don't see them making the playoffs. Still where they should be in terms of development

What they need to do is stay away from the American Collegiate and European ranks for a draft or 2 and they need to revamp that defense and add some secondary scoring

Never seen a team collapse late in games so much in my life, when the physicality and tenacity picks up they wilt under pressure, get some CHL kids in our system who are experienced in physicality. The NCAA and Europeans just aren't use to that style of play and 90% of our team comes from those ranks

Phil Housley has to go as well which won't happen this off season, same few guys making the same mistakes falls on the coaching

I echo a lot of those same thoughts. 

Housley has far too much loyalty to veterans. It's been said by just about everyone at this point, Sobotka and Scandella are the two who need a night or 5 in the press box. Sobotka may as well be playing with Matt Moulson at this point. He's horrible. Scratching C.J. Smith for him on a nightly basis makes me sick. 

I'm all for acquiring someone like Jakob Silfverberg. We need to make a change somewhere soon to give us a spark. Also wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Jesse Puljujarvi. 

Thank goodness we have 3 first round picks next year to look forward to, even if we don't see the players we take for a few years. At least it gives me some excitement. 

Oh and pay Jeff Skinner. Can you imagine this team without him? Yikes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

I echo a lot of those same thoughts. 

Housley has far too much loyalty to veterans. It's been said by just about everyone at this point, Sobotka and Scandella are the two who need a night or 5 in the press box. Sobotka may as well be playing with Matt Moulson at this point. He's horrible. Scratching C.J. Smith for him on a nightly basis makes me sick. 

I'm all for acquiring someone like Jakob Silfverberg. We need to make a change somewhere soon to give us a spark. Also wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Jesse Puljujarvi. 

Thank goodness we have 3 first round picks next year to look forward to, even if we don't see the players we take for a few years. At least it gives me some excitement. 

Oh and pay Jeff Skinner. Can you imagine this team without him? Yikes.

 

What I've heard about Skinner and why he had Buffalo on his trade list was him wanting to be close to the GTA (Toronto) and it's given that Toronto won't be in the market for him. I think him resigning is a slam dunk tbh.

We have some quality trade chips in Rochester as well with Olofsson and Nylander. Playoffs or not it's time to flip some of our young prospects for a top 6 guy or a stay at home defensmen. Let's aim for the stars and try to nab Alex Pietrangelo from St. Louis lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

What I've heard about Skinner and why he had Buffalo on his trade list was him wanting to be close to the GTA (Toronto) and it's given that Toronto won't be in the market for him. I think him resigning is a slam dunk tbh.

We have some quality trade chips in Rochester as well with Olofsson and Nylander. Playoffs or not it's time to flip some of our young prospects for a top 6 guy or a stay at home defensmen. Let's aim for the stars and try to nab Alex Pietrangelo from St. Louis lol

I think Olofsson must be kept. Nylander is as good as gone imo.

I'm on board for getting Pietrangelo but the Blues are hot and in the playoffs now, doubt they sell him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trade deadline will be interesting. Botterill will not give up a 1st for a rental. They need more guys like Reinhart with a very high hockey IQ. It seems we get up to play the best teams in the league but fold when we play the teams we're supposed to beat. We have been for at least the last 4 years a mentally-weak hockey team and I think it's high time we find some new veteran leadership. I'm not saying take the C away from Eichel, but get some players in here that knows what it takes night in and night out to be successful. It's almost like our core is so young, they don't know what they don't know. It was that way under Nolan, Bylsma, and now Housley. I don't really see coaching as the problem here. 

Oh, and Risto and Bogo (#4 especially) need to do what they were brought here to do...and that's bring a physical nature to our game. We get pushed around more often than not. When's the last time Bogo actually got in a scrap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brendan Guhle plus SJ or STL 1st round pick for Bradon Montour just happened.

Amazing trade! Young RHD in his prime to pair with Dahlin. Love the move.

Edited by NickChowaniec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, leeevans83d said:

Trade deadline will be interesting. Botterill will not give up a 1st for a rental. They need more guys like Reinhart with a very high hockey IQ. It seems we get up to play the best teams in the league but fold when we play the teams we're supposed to beat. We have been for at least the last 4 years a mentally-weak hockey team and I think it's high time we find some new veteran leadership. I'm not saying take the C away from Eichel, but get some players in here that knows what it takes night in and night out to be successful. It's almost like our core is so young, they don't know what they don't know. It was that way under Nolan, Bylsma, and now Housley. I don't really see coaching as the problem here. 

Oh, and Risto and Bogo (#4 especially) need to do what they were brought here to do...and that's bring a physical nature to our game. We get pushed around more often than not. When's the last time Bogo actually got in a scrap?

I completely disagree with coaching not being a problem. The same few guys Bogo, Beaulieu, Sobotka, Tage Thompson when in lineup keep making the same mistakes. 2/3 of the way through the season and it shouldn't be happening. Housley gonna get another year but he needs to tighten up. I don't get why he is shuffling Pominville on and off top line? He has been the best fit and utterly useless without Skinner and Eichel. Glad Scott Wilson is back in lineup, looked great against Washington yesterday.

I don't think we'll be making any big moves at deadline, I see us making a big move at the draft likely involving a few high picks / prospects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Brendan Guhle plus SJ or STL 1st round pick for Bradon Montour just happened.

Amazing trade! Young RHD in his prime to pair with Dahlin. Love the move.

Word ?

Not to shabby, I'm good with this

Edited by BillsGuy82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Word ?

Yea buddy!!! We have a bunch of defensemen on the roster... one or two will have to move tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Yea buddy!!! We have a bunch of defensemen on the roster... one or two will have to move tomorrow.

Fingers crossed we unload Marco Scandella and/or Nathan Beaulieu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I completely disagree with coaching not being a problem. The same few guys Bogo, Beaulieu, Sobotka, Tage Thompson when in lineup keep making the same mistakes. 2/3 of the way through the season and it shouldn't be happening. Housley gonna get another year but he needs to tighten up. I don't get why he is shuffling Pominville on and off top line? He has been the best fit and utterly useless without Skinner and Eichel. Glad Scott Wilson is back in lineup, looked great against Washington yesterday.

I don't think we'll be making any big moves at deadline, I see us making a big move at the draft likely involving a few high picks / prospects

While I do find it hard to defend Housley at times, I don't think that he's most at-fault for this collapse. I think we have some players that keep making the same mistakes. When the players stick to the game plan, we seem to have success. I'd be all for getting a new Power Play coach after this year, because our PP is offensive to watch. Dropback passes on the PP should be illegal, btw. Steve Smith has done a great job with the PK.

I just keep thinking that Housley is that type of coach that would get fired too soon and get a second shot in a couple years as a HC and light it up after learning from mistakes. He's a rookie too, and we'll continue to get nowhere if we continue firing coaches every 2 years. 

Oh, and Montour is a huge get. I love it. Unfortunately I think this could be the end for Risto as a Sabre. Rumor mill has been churning lately about him. Risto has always been one of my favorites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, leeevans83d said:

While I do find it hard to defend Housley at times, I don't think that he's most at-fault for this collapse. I think we have some players that keep making the same mistakes. When the players stick to the game plan, we seem to have success. I'd be all for getting a new Power Play coach after this year, because our PP is offensive to watch. Dropback passes on the PP should be illegal, btw. Steve Smith has done a great job with the PK.

I just keep thinking that Housley is that type of coach that would get fired too soon and get a second shot in a couple years as a HC and light it up after learning from mistakes. He's a rookie too, and we'll continue to get nowhere if we continue firing coaches every 2 years. 

Oh, and Montour is a huge get. I love it. Unfortunately I think this could be the end for Risto as a Sabre. Rumor mill has been churning lately about him. Risto has always been one of my favorites.

Why would we trade Risto? We need to get defensive dmen to play with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×