Out with the slow in with the new

Golfman

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

We moved up Clark at the end of last year, gave Allison, Janis and Davis a lot of playing time then. No Yancy makes me think he’s gone considering the draft. Janis is gone and the other 2 could be as well if the rookies show they can play and be where they are supposed to be. 

I'm just being a contrarian mule for argument's sake. I actually have the height bias worse than he does, check my post history.

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

His arguments for Clark was based on height and speed potential, you said it applies to Yancy too. He countered reiterating his point. Think you missed that. 

His agument was height speed talent, and I was poorly constructing for talent.

Just now, HyponGrey said:

I'm just being a contrarian mule for argument's sake. I actually have the height bias worse than he does, check my post history.

Too early for that. Lol. Seriously, Clark is obviously ahead of Yancy who got no playing time at the end of the year. With what we threw on the field that’s bad for him. 

19 hours ago, Golfman said:

If you look at the WR's we took, it would appear Allison isn't fast enough for our new GM's liking. It would not surprise me if he's cut along with Davis, who is fast enough, but not a capable NFL WR to this point. 

Allison did make some key plays last year.

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

McCarthy has stated repeatedly that Monty will be exclusively in the RB room. Not to mention he's ordained him the starter which I think will change. 

Monty should motion out wide from the RB spot more often. Think he's more dangerous that way. 

1 hour ago, HyponGrey said:

Aaaaaaaand we're back to the height bias. Cheers!

If all other things are equal are you keeping the 6'6 kid with more upside or the 6'1 kid with less upside? You keep calling it a bias. I call it reality. 

1 hour ago, HyponGrey said:

If the second thing Mac said is subject to change, the why not the first?

The second would only change if the others beat him out which IMO they will. The first probably doesn't change unless we have a rash of injuries at the position, which is why he was put in the RB room in the first place. I hope Monty can be productive for us, but think Jones and Williams are better at rushing the football. Monty has struggled in blitz pick up as well. 

I hope we can find productive snaps for him. 

53 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Allison did make some key plays last year.

No argument here, but did he make more plays for us than Janis did in the Arizona playoff game? Answer is no, and Janis never got another realistic shot after that one game. We drafted a ton of receivers this year, we're keeping 2 of them you can almost be assured. Moral of the story, what have you done for me lately?

I think one of the rookies or Clark pass Allison in camp. It that happens you keep the potential over the guy with a lower ceiling. That is my only point. If we don't bring in a vet and Allison beats our Clark and the rookies, of course he stays on the team as the #3 WR and #4 receiving option.

My projection/guess is one or more of the young guys pass him. It's nothing more than that at this point. An educated (or uneducated) guess! 

Usually I pick a few guys based on little more than minimal interwebz information and some sort of emotional connection to their stories and root hard for them.

With this crop of receivers I just want everybody to step up, compete, and make the final cuts the most difficult the Packers have had in the past twenty years.

Stunning, really, that the physical tools and college production of these young men got them drafted in the 5th and later. Teams must really hate hearing that kids don't have an absolute team first mentality. What else explains the drop of this kind of talent? Let's see which ones of our new receivers can dedicate to developing their craft, training their bodies, and learning the offense. I know that history says we would be fortunate to get one major contributor out of three receiver picks in this range. I think we get two.

3 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Usually I pick a few guys based on little more than minimal interwebz information and some sort of emotional connection to their stories and root hard for them.

With this crop of receivers I just want everybody to step up, compete, and make the final cuts the most difficult the Packers have had in the past twenty years.

Stunning, really, that the physical tools and college production of these young men got them drafted in the 5th and later. Teams must really hate hearing that kids don't have an absolute team first mentality. What else explains the drop of this kind of talent? Let's see which ones of our new receivers can dedicate to developing their craft, training their bodies, and learning the offense. I know that history says we would be fortunate to get one major contributor out of three receiver picks in this range. I think we get two.

I like your optimism! 

Did anyone hear the Jaire Alexander pick interview with Gute, and hear him say "he's very close to the mendoza line" or something to that effect.

If you're unfamiliar with the concept of the Mendoza line, it's from baseball  and refers to Mario Mendoza and his mediocre batting average.  When players would dip below .200, it's referred to as being below the mendoza line. Basically a line of mediocrity.

So, while I think Gute was mis-using this term, because he was talking about Alexander's physical attributes at the time rather than his statistics or quality of play, what it DOES indicate is that there's probably still a height cutoff in play for Green Bay, and that 5104 is probably close to that line, given that Alexander is 5102.

I think this confirms what @Cadmus was talking about earlier about how 5-11 was probably not a hard cutoff.  

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Did anyone hear the Jaire Alexander pick interview with Gute, and hear him say "he's very close to the mendoza line" or something to that effect.

If you're unfamiliar with the concept of the Mendoza line, it's from baseball  and refers to Mario Mendoza and his mediocre batting average.  When players would dip below .200, it's referred to as being below the mendoza line. Basically a line of mediocrity.

So, while I think Gute was mis-using this term, because he was talking about Alexander's physical attributes at the time rather than his statistics or quality of play, what it DOES indicate is that there's probably still a height cutoff in play for Green Bay, and that 5104 is probably close to that line, given that Alexander is 5102.

I think this confirms what @Cadmus was talking about earlier about how 5-11 was probably not a hard cutoff.  

Yeah. Could be 5'10"

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Smart people use those as a guide, rather than a steadfast rule. When the talent far supersedes the measurement, you use common sense! Time will tell but this kid has got swag and I hope he can back it up. All of his other measurements as well as him game tape say he will. 

Archived