Nick_gb

2019 NFL Draft Discussion

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like it's generally smarter to take defensive guys high, and offensive guys late since defense is where you need to win with an athletic advantage, whereas offense is where you can win with scheme.

Well - last year the GBPs were the second highest team in the NFL with % of CAP devoted to the WR position - which sounds like talent over scheme to me.

You draft as the talent mix on your roster demands. All I'm saying is it would be nice to snag a high OFFENSIVE guy - some day - one day - as opposed to designating all the top draft capital to the defense.

Imagine - just imagine if it changed from: "AR and the GBPs" to "AR, (fill in the blank) and GBPs"

I'd like to get that (fill in the blank) second guy - on offense - to compete for top billing with AR.

Posted (edited)

Not only does the draft have high end pass rushers but should also have 3-5 offensive tackles that I think are better than McGlinchy. For you people that want the offensive playmaker, the ole miss reciever could be just that as well. Don’t sleep on Michael Pittman from usc either I think he will be a first round pick.

Edited by moretti19

On 4/29/2018 at 1:12 PM, Nick_gb said:

Isn't it crazy? We all sit around and wait for our grownup "Christmas" of the NFL season for an entire year and just like that it's come and gone and we're off and ready to talk about the upcoming draft a year later. I figured we could kick this off because there's  A LOT to be excited about next draft. We have 2 1st Round picks going into the season. So, with that said, here are some names I'll be keying in on over the fall. 

1. Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan 

2. A.J. Brown, WR, OLE Miss

3. Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State

4. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

5. Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

6. Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson

7. Raekwon Davis, DE, Alabama 

8. Christian Wilkins, DE/DT, Clemson

Honestly, those Clemson games are really where you want to key in on. That entire DL is coming out in the 2019 NFL Draft and it can't be at a better time for Green Bay. Looking at this list everyone here could EASILY be a top 10 Pick in the past 2 years. This is perfect for Green Bay as we likely lose CM3 next year and 1 of these names should be in serious consideration for Green Bay. I went with A.J. Brown in case we end up losing Cobb (Likely happens) as he's a really solid route runner, with sure hands, so I tossed his name in there as someone to watch.

Who will you guys be looking at? What positions? 

Would like to add:

Anfernee Jennings, OLB/DE, Alabama (R-Jr., 6-3, 262)

Montez Sweat, DE/OLB, Mississippi State (Sr., 6-6, 241)

Josh Allen, LB, Kentucky (Sr., 6-5, 230)

Another thought.  If it's time for offense, maybe it's time to think post ARod.  Two first round picks bundled for:

Drew Lock, QB, Missouri (Sr., 6-4, 225)

Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn (R-Jr., 6-3, 214)

Just spitballing.......

Say the Saints make the NFC championship game and the Packers make the Divisional round (Seems kind of realistic at this point) how far up could trading both 1st round picks get us? Say picks 24 & 28. 

9 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Would like to add:

Anfernee Jennings, OLB/DE, Alabama (R-Jr., 6-3, 262)

Montez Sweat, DE/OLB, Mississippi State (Sr., 6-6, 241)

Josh Allen, LB, Kentucky (Sr., 6-5, 230)

Another thought.  If it's time for offense, maybe it's time to think post ARod.  Two first round picks bundled for:

Drew Lock, QB, Missouri (Sr., 6-4, 225)

Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn (R-Jr., 6-3, 214)

Just spitballing.......

Thanks bro, added everyone to the list from the OP same with @PossibleCabbage prospects he mentioned. I'll continue to update that list as people toss names out there. I placed your guys names next to the players. :)

30 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Say the Saints make the NFC championship game and the Packers make the Divisional round (Seems kind of realistic at this point) how far up could trading both 1st round picks get us? Say picks 24 & 28. 

8-12 range depending on how teams view the draft within the first round.  

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, Golfman said:

This is a nice list to start but what looks like a strength today could be a weakness by mid-season. I'd say need to look at the TE position in 2019 as well. That is just on paper today. Safety could be a need if we let Dix walk. 

I agree with a young TE, but not before the 3rd round. (first years don't usually contribute)

Safeties may be best filled with veterans, they sure went cheap this year so far. Now that we have a GM that seems inclined to use all avenues for roster development it is possible.

Anfernee Jennings really caught my eye against Clemson. He’s someone I’ll be watching this year

On average 2019 round 1 mocks have 12-15 1st round DL/pass rushers. Almost 50% of round 1, and we have 2 picks. I'll take another double dip Gutey.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

On average 2019 round 1 mocks have 12-15 1st round DL/pass rushers. Almost 50% of round 1, and we have 2 picks. I'll take another double dip Gutey.

At some point you gotta put some attention on offense as well. I wouldn't mind getting an Edge and a WR (A.J. Brown) in Round 1. I know we just draft 3 WR's in the later rounds but catching a stud like A.J. Brown would be real nice to go with one of those guys coming into their 2nd year in the league. JMO :)

Edited by Nick_gb

Posted (edited)

I know the Packers say they don't go for need, but they (like all teams) do... it's just not always immediate need... but when you start looking into the context of contracts that are going to be up in the next two years... then they have drafted for need a lot more than people think.

And looking at need in that context... the Packers really need (contracts that are up in the next two years)

• DTs (Daniels, Wilkerson, Lowery)
  • OTs (Bulaga, Spriggs, Murphy)
  • OLB (Matthews, Fackrell)
  • FS (Haha, Brice)

So if I was looking for next years' 1st round (which I'm not going to do quite yet)... I would start with looking at those positions... as they're losing a starter and one of the top back-ups currently at the position.

Two other positions where that is also happening is QB and WR. But they're going to resign Rodgers and got Kizer as future back-up already. While they could lose Cobb and Allison, but they have lots of depth at WR now... rarely have the Packers used a first round pick on offense, unless it's an OL.

Packers last couple non-OL offensive 1st round picks

• 2005 - Aaron Rodgers
  • 2002 - Javon Walker
  • 2000 - Bubba Franks
  • 1990 - Darrell Thompson (second 1st round pick)

So since 1991 (28 years?), there have only been 3 non-OL offensive picks. So I'm discounting those a little bit.

Edited by Beast

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I know the Packers say they don't go for need, but they (like all teams) do... it's just not always immediate need... but when you start looking into the context of contracts that are going to be up in the next two years... then they have drafted for need a lot more than people think.

need and value aren't mutually exclusive. I think you are misconstruing what GB means when they discuss need vs. value. BPA doesn't mean need never coincides with value at your pick. obviously, sometimes it will. that is not uncommon. teams have multiple positions that could be considered a "need" to one extent or another if you look for it, and GB is no exception.

and if a team has multiple players on the board with essentially the same grade when it comes time to pick, need can act as a tie-breaker. that does not contradict BPA at all. For example (using random numbers) if you have 3 guys on the board with the grades 95.8, 95. 6 and 95.4, but your grading system has a margin a error of +/-3.0, you cannot state with any confidence that any of the 3 players is better than the others. Therefore you treat the 3 as tied and can pick whichever one fills a need without sacrificing value.

On May 1, 2018 at 1:41 PM, Spartacus said:

Draft pick value chart shows they should be able to trade into the 8-10 range but it all depends if the trade partner is making you overpay to move up.  I think we could get to 9 or 10 though.

I'm just assuming the #1 priority is probably going to be pass rush next year and if you really want that blue chip talent it would need to be higher than the 20s. Hopefully the Saints take a dump this year. That would really really help. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2018 at 4:08 PM, Leader said:

Well - last year the GBPs were the second highest team in the NFL with % of CAP devoted to the WR position - which sounds like talent over scheme to me.

Considering how people were talking about our WR position last year, you could argue there wasn't any talent to put over scheme. Just cap.

Edited by HyponGrey