Nick_gb

2019 NFL Draft Discussion

On 29/04/2018 at 5:02 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

Is Nick Bosa Joey Bosa's brother?  If so, can't draft him.  TJ Watt was a hit, so it's going to be at least 6 years before two brothers both do really well in the NFL. 

I know you're not serious, but Nick Bosa has a case for #1 overall next year, and not because of his brother. 

On 4/29/2018 at 4:02 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

Is Nick Bosa Joey Bosa's brother?  If so, can't draft him.  TJ Watt was a hit, so it's going to be at least 6 years before two brothers both do really well in the NFL. 

We drafted two alliterations with our first two picks last year and we used one on our 2nd round pick this year. Josh Jackson is doomed. That's way too many alliterations. Take all alliterations off your board in 2019.

#HtZscouting 😉

53 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We drafted two alliterations with our first two picks last year and we used one on our 2nd round pick this year. Josh Jackson is doomed. That's way too many alliterations. Take all alliterations off your board in 2019.

#HtZscouting 😉

Alliteration is minimized by two first names.  

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:04 AM, Leader said:

How far back was it we drafted a sure thing / cant miss / kiss *** OFFENSIVE WEAPON in the first round? I'm sure its probably not all that far back....but it sure seems like it. Can we PLEASE  - one day - NOT designate our #1 to a defensive need? Will that day ever come around again? Will the sun ever shine again? :)

Packers will draft two OL in the 1st round in 2019, book it!!!!  Better?  O.o

45 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Packers will draft two OL in the 1st round in 2019, book it!!!!  Better?  O.o

OL = offensive weapons in your opinion?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Leader said:

OL = offensive weapons in your opinion?

Ted didn't draft offensive skill guys in round one outside of QB. I don't hate that mindset, especially with his particular wr track record in round two. A ton of great TE end up in the third, so that's the value for me, but I don't mind the second. RB is a dime a dozen. OT and QB are the only 1st round values on offense from my perspective. Board has to fall just right so talent overtakes value for me to go against that philosophy. Sad fact is that it's easier to play/succeed on offense. Defense, being at a disadvantage, gets the priority.

Edited by HyponGrey

1 hour ago, HyponGrey said:

Ted didn't draft offensive skill guys in round one outside of QB. I don't hate that mindset, especially with his particular wr track record in round two. A ton of great TE end up in the third, so that's the value for me, but I don't mind the second. RB is a dime a dozen. OT and QB are the only 1st round values on offense from my perspective. Board has to fall just right so talent overtakes value for me to go against that philosophy. Sad fact is that it's easier to play/succeed on offense. Defense, being at a disadvantage, gets the priority.

I'm not gonna get lost in the weeds over this or over analyze it down to the small hairs. Talent is talent - on either side of the ball. The same spread of "cut above" talent exists on the offensive side as does the defense and you're gonna get your shot at that "cut above" talent (or more obvious talent) the higher you draft it. Its fairly simple. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I'm not gonna get lost in the weeds over this or over analyze it down to the small hairs. Talent is talent - on either side of the ball. The same spread of "cut above" talent exists on the offensive side as does the defense and you're gonna get your shot at that "cut above" talent (or more obvious talent) the higher you draft it. Its fairly simple. 

The next most simple thing? How you value it. My preference is different from yours, and it's not a big deal.

32 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

The next most simple thing? How you value it. My preference is different from yours, and it's not a big deal.

It's not a big deal and you can prefer defensive players over offensive - or think it harder to play defense - whatever, thats fine  and not what I was speaking to. But on grading impact talent, its equal on both sides: talent is talent. The general principle is the higher you draft a guy, the bigger impact you can expert or hope for.  Is it an even balance year in / year out? (D vs. O) No.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:14 AM, JBURGE25 said:

I know you're not serious, but Nick Bosa has a case for #1 overall next year, and not because of his brother. 

Absolutely.  We're going to hear it though.

On 5/1/2018 at 3:08 PM, Leader said:

You draft as the talent mix on your roster demands. All I'm saying is it would be nice to snag a high OFFENSIVE guy - some day - one day - as opposed to designating all the top draft capital to the defense.

I'm pretty sure it's a philosophical thing.  It's hard to justify taking a skill position player with a 1st round pick, when you've got a similar graded defensive player.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm pretty sure it's a philosophical thing.  It's hard to justify taking a skill position player with a 1st round pick, when you've got a similar graded defensive player.

Whats the context of your comment? The GPBs current roster (?) - or that - whenever you have equal talents, its preferable to select the defensive player?

2 hours ago, Leader said:

It's not a big deal and you can prefer defensive players over offensive - or think it harder to play defense - whatever, thats fine  and not what I was speaking to. But on grading impact talent, its equal on both sides: talent is talent. The general principle is the higher you draft a guy, the bigger impact you can expert or hope for.  Is it an even balance year in / year out? (D vs. O) No.

I never disagreed with you that there is top talent on both sides, I never even said one side had more top tier talent than the other because that's a laughable statement. I just prefer defense, and feel that outside of the OT and QB position, good enough is good enough, and I think there are examples of that in history. 

If you can't get elite QB play (something we have not had to worry about in almost my entire lifetime) then yeah, you need elite playmakers on offense to compensate. In the meantime, if your defense can't stop the opposition, then the outcome of the game is determined by who scores last. Even the most unstoppable offense needs at least good defense. Right now ours is only "passable"

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Leader said:

Whats the context of your comment? The GPBs current roster (?) - or that - whenever you have equal talents, its preferable to select the defensive player?

Usually, but there are exceptions for the "premium positions." Every position has it's value. For example: personally if I have a similar graded DT and LB, I'll usually go DT if the need is equal. 

Edited by HyponGrey

vs Bucs
vs Browns
@ Falcons
@ Giants
vs Redskins
BYE
@ Ravens
@Vikings
vs Rams
@ Bengals
vs Eagles