Nick_gb

2019 NFL Draft Discussion

8 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

So are you taking Joey Bosa over Aaron Donald? Because that's who Oliver compares to. Guy has 40 TFL before his junior season compared to 23 for Bosa. He also is the 100% recognized defensive talent on that line in Houston. Bosa had Holmes, Lewis and Hubbard as well as DreMont Jones who's in 1st round pick territory this year. 

It's Oliver for me and it isn't even close. Bosa is better than Chubb and deserves to be a top 5 pick. Oliver is a damn freak with Aaron Donald like ability, and the league won't make a mistake passing on a guy like that again.

Yes, I see them as 1A and 1B for this draft and I’d prefer a dominant end.

Oliver and Gary are the two best IDL prospects to come out in a long time.

I don't think it's unrealistic to say that whichever you prefer is the best DL prospect to come out since . . . Dareus, man that seems crazy to say.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Sure, but neither are a traditional 1-tech and we're not going to be playing 3DL more than 50% of snaps. 

Maybe you let Clay walk, move Perry over to the Will backer and stick Gary into the Rush "Backer" spot ala Mario Williams, but that's not a pure fit, and if I'm drafting top 5 like I suspect Gary is going, that fit better be pure as spring water. 

Who’s playing the 5T when we go 3DL? Will?  That’s where I see Gary too. I also see Wilkerson and Daniels in 2DL as well as could see Gary there as well. 

Say for argument sake the Saints tank and Gary has a great year and really comes of age. I think you’d agree with me that you’d find a way to play him. 

2 hours ago, moretti19 said:

Yes, I see them as 1A and 1B for this draft and I’d prefer a dominant end.

Can Oliver play stop run, how big is he? Looks pretty small for a 3T, smaller than Daniels. Maybe he’s just that fit, I don’t really know just asking.

Can Bosa drop as an OLB? Another good question. 

3 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Who’s playing the 5T when we go 3DL? Will?  That’s where I see Gary too. I also see Wilkerson and Daniels in 2DL as well as could see Gary there as well. 

Say for argument sake the Saints tank and Gary has a great year and really comes of age. I think you’d agree with me that you’d find a way to play him. 

Pettine runs more 303 then he does 305 so I'm not sure there really is a set 5-tech in this look. When you are running 305, Wilkerson is your 5-tech, far more natural body for it.

Wilkerson is the guy off the bench. Clark and Daniels are your two starters in the nickel.

Clay is your Will backer (which we badly need a new name for, Drop Backer?) and Perry is your Rush backer.

If Bosa and Oliver are both gone and Gary is available, you pick him. You move him to Rush "Backer" and just play a straight up heavy 4-3.

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Can Oliver play stop run, how big is he? Looks pretty small for a 3T, smaller than Daniels. Maybe he’s just that fit, I don’t really know just asking.

Can Bosa drop as an OLB? Another good question. 

Oliver is going to be around 300lbs next year. He's a monster. Maybe the best combination of athlete and player to come out of that spot since Suh. While I don't think he's a pure NT, he's the sort of guy you could plug in and then trade Daniels after a year. 

Bosa can do whatever you need him to. Unreal athlete. Shouldn't be dropping much. Pass rush skill is too valuable.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:10 AM, mikemike778 said:

When did we hit on offense too hard ? 

Adams, Bahk and Rodgers are obviously the big 3.

2 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

Adams, Bahk and Rodgers are obviously the big 3.

These are all re-signs which is precisely my point.

We have invested virtually nothing on offense in the draft in the current draft generation (4 years). So the offense is either ageing or is a late round/UDFA. Obviously at this point, its guessing who works out as things stand, I would use 3 of my 4 picks in the first two days on RT, WR, TE with the 4th on OLB (in no particular order and again assuming the right player is available). We need a proper replacement for Bulaga. Murphy will probably do at RT and McCray will probably do at RG just like Taylor is OK at LG but do you want an Offensive Line comprised purely of 'will probably do' guys when you expect your 35 year old QB to win you games ?

Obviously if a couple of the receivers look the real deal in game time and someone emerges as a quality RT (as opposed to a 'he will do) then it changes things.

3 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

We have invested virtually nothing on offense in the draft in the current draft generation (4 years). So the offense is either ageing or is a late round/UDFA. Obviously at this point, its guessing who works out as things stand, I would use 3 of my 4 picks in the first two days on RT, WR, TE with the 4th on OLB (in no particular order and again assuming the right player is available). We need a proper replacement for Bulaga. Murphy will probably do at RT and McCray will probably do at RG just like Taylor is OK at LG but do you want an Offensive Line comprised purely of 'will probably do' guys when you expect your 35 year old QB to win you games ?

Obviously if a couple of the receivers look the real deal in game time and someone emerges as a quality RT (as opposed to a 'he will do) then it changes things.

Spriggs was a 2nd round pick and a trade up if I remember right. 

Lot of talk about Bosa and Oliver, those are some top tier guys. A guy who caught my eye was Zach Allen from Boston College. Kind of in that Preston Smith type mold. 6-4/6-5 270-280 technically sound, solid run defender, decent bend, has good power and some shock in his hands.

On 5/13/2018 at 1:24 PM, mikemike778 said:

We need to stop equating top 3 round draft picks as saviors and bottom 4 rounds as scrubs. McCray looked very good last year for his experience. A full offseason will only help. I'm very confident in him at OG with Taylor. RT is a big question mark right now, for sure, but I think it'd be foolish to discount players taken in R4-R7 as "will probably do" guys. Bahk was a 4th, Linsley was a 5th, Tretter was a 4th, Tausher was a 7th. On the other hand Sherrod was a 1st. These picks are no guarantee. Cole Madison looks like he could fit in well in Green Bay. I wouldn't be shocked to see him at RT this year before Bulaga gets back. 

Kind of like the idea of Raekwon Davis and Josh Allen in the first round next year.  Just throwing it out there.  Davis is just coming into his own and has produced in big games already.  Allen might've been a first round pick this year if he didn't return to school.  Then we launch into the offensive side of the ball for the rest of the draft.  Really like Oliver and Bosa, but barring a trade we can't touch them.

1 hour ago, blankman0021 said:

We need to stop equating top 3 round draft picks as saviors and bottom 4 rounds as scrubs. McCray looked very good last year for his experience. A full offseason will only help. I'm very confident in him at OG with Taylor. RT is a big question mark right now, for sure, but I think it'd be foolish to discount players taken in R4-R7 as "will probably do" guys. Bahk was a 4th, Linsley was a 5th, Tretter was a 4th, Tausher was a 7th. On the other hand Sherrod was a 1st. These picks are no guarantee. Cole Madison looks like he could fit in well in Green Bay. I wouldn't be shocked to see him at RT this year before Bulaga gets back. 

I agree with your opening salvo there. Everyone on the team is interviewing for a job every day.

I like Cole Madison too, and I know it doesn't mean much, but it does mean something that the team lists him at guard instead of tackle. Training camp may be the time to experiment, but if they want him to be their new RG he'll need reps. Murphy and Spriggs are likely to be the tackles IMO.

On 13/05/2018 at 1:46 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Pettine runs more 303 then he does 305

Is that the rifle defense ?

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I agree with your opening salvo there. Everyone on the team is interviewing for a job every day.

I like Cole Madison too, and I know it doesn't mean much, but it does mean something that the team lists him at guard instead of tackle. Training camp may be the time to experiment, but if they want him to be their new RG he'll need reps. Murphy and Spriggs are likely to be the tackles IMO.

Thank you. Agreed, it's anybody's game come TC. 

Do you think Murphy and Spriggs are healthy come camp? That's the situation I see Madison stepping in at RT. I'm assuming we'd play the taller guy at RT vs pushing McCray out there again.