2019 NFL Draft Prospects

D82

21 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I think offensive tackle has to be a serious consideration with our first pick

Unless Rico Gathers ups and becomes Antonio Gates 2.0 TE will be the top pick. Only way this changes (never gonna happen) is if we lose everyone of our other games and they realize they messed up and they decide QB is their top need. 

36 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Unless Rico Gathers ups and becomes Antonio Gates 2.0 TE will be the top pick. Only way this changes (never gonna happen) is if we lose everyone of our other games and they realize they messed up and they decide QB is their top need. 

We'll see. I don't think any rookie TE is likely to be a meaningful upgrade on Swaim, personally. And I don't think our lack of talent at that position is truly what's holding this offense back. Sure a guy like Kelce or Ertz or Rudolph would be great, but those don't grow on trees.

An OT would be more of a 2020 cap-oriented move, admittedly, whereas a TE would (probably) start immediately. I just hope we haven't narrowed their focus to exclusively upgrading our pass catchers while overlooking what a pile of mediocrity our once great OL has become.

38 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

We'll see. I don't think any rookie TE is likely to be a meaningful upgrade on Swaim, personally. And I don't think our lack of talent at that position is truly what's holding this offense back. Sure a guy like Kelce or Ertz or Rudolph would be great, but those don't grow on trees.

An OT would be more of a 2020 cap-oriented move, admittedly, whereas a TE would (probably) start immediately. I just hope we haven't narrowed their focus to exclusively upgrading our pass catchers while overlooking what a pile of mediocrity our once great OL has become.

I am not sure how spending a 2nd round pick on the OL solves the problems we've had this year. Nor do I think we any evidence that we are overlooking the OLs importance having signed Flowers in the offseason and spent a 2nd round pick on a guard just this year.

13 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

I honestly wouldn't mind another WR or another safety in the 2nd round. We shouldn't put all of our eggs in the Earl Thomas basket, as he has another injury to overcome

You can always use good defensive backs. But if we sign Earl, I think the player would have to be a pretty clear BPA.

I'd be pretty surprised if we drafted a WR in the 2nd, though I'm not 100% opposed to it.

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Go watch Jace Sternberger, basically a Hayden Hurst replica but younger. Plus the only tackles I would consider 2nd round are Williams obviously, them Edward's or Adam's. 

As for the 2nd part. The Cooper trade was not just to give Dak a new weapon it was to upgrade our passing game as a whole. If everything holds firm and we get Thomas in the offseason. I see them making further improvements to the passing game. I'm sure even Jerry is regretting drafting Wittens replacement when he could. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You can always use good defensive backs. But if we sign Earl, I think the player would have to be a pretty clear BPA.

I'd be pretty surprised if we drafted a WR in the 2nd, though I'm not 100% opposed to it.

Here's how I figure our offseason should shape up. And this is assuming we stick with Dak if he really does improve which I doubt but for now it seems Jerry is hell bent on riding this out. 

Our big FA targets will be resigning Lawrence and getting ET to shore up the defense. 

1st- Spent on Cooper. 

2nd- Highest rated TE. Unless something goes wrong with Smith.

3rd- highest rated CB. Brown is a liability and this is a passing league now. I see them going after BPA in the CB position. Or possibly using this for OL depth. Right now I see these as the only 2 needs. 

Rest of the draft should be BPA and project players. 

All of this is basing the hope that everyone we want to improve that will improve. Gallup, LVE, RG, etc. 

And truthfully I could see JG getting another year if he throws SL under the bus. And bringing in another guy to copy what the Vikings and others have done with young OCs. 

Edited by Calvert28

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I am not sure how spending a 2nd round pick on the OL solves the problems we've had this year. Nor do I think we any evidence that we are overlooking the OLs importance having signed Flowers in the offseason and spent a 2nd round pick on a guard just this year.

Well New Orleans fans didn’t think spending a first rounder on Ryan Ramzcyk to be their swing tackle was wise, until Zach Strief went down and he became their starter. You never know.

Like I said, it’d be more of a 2020 move, when we may have to move on from Smith and/or Collins, but there is precedent for the drafting of a player’s replacement compelling the incumbent to play better by putting him on notice. Look no further than Flacco this year after the Ravens drafted Lamar. Could argue Taco has had that effect on Lawrence as well. I’m sure there’s countless other examples.

I get the argument that a swing tackle wouldn’t help us as a rookie- just not sold any rookie TE does, either. And a good OT has substantially more long-term value than anything short of a great TE. I’ll check out Sternberger though.