2019 NFL Draft Prospects

D82

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Give me the tight end.

Up until Jarwin’s game this weekend, TE was widely seen as our worst position group. We’ve invested quite a bit in the WR group, and it’s looking strong for next year, even if we lose Cole. If Jarwin carries us through the playoffs, then maybe we can revisit. Otherwise, all things being equal, I’ll take the TE.

That said, I want best weapon for Dak on the board. If the WR is better, I’ll take him. This TE class is deep, one will be available later. 

With what we have seen second half of the year from our TE as a group with  Swain Jarvin And Shultz  I see bigger need then TE or WR.     I want improved OL play and depth and a upgrade of Heath at safety and more depth at LB  as Lee will probably retire them maybe DT or NT type.  

So in order

OT. -  DT/NT - SS - LB - swing tackle or center to develope    Though depending on who is available 3-5 is open ended to me but I want OT in second  history has shown you need 1st or 2nd round talent at the OL level to be elite and with Elliot I want a elite OL

depending how play offs go we might see a trade to get in 1st rd also 

I want to resign Beasley   Unless Austin explodes in the playoffs 

7 hours ago, quiller said:

With what we have seen second half of the year from our TE as a group with  Swain Jarvin And Shultz  I see bigger need then TE or WR.     I want improved OL play and depth and a upgrade of Heath at safety and more depth at LB  as Lee will probably retire them maybe DT or NT type.  

So in order

OT. -  DT/NT - SS - LB - swing tackle or center to develope    Though depending on who is available 3-5 is open ended to me but I want OT in second  history has shown you need 1st or 2nd round talent at the OL level to be elite and with Elliot I want a elite OL

depending how play offs go we might see a trade to get in 1st rd also 

I want to resign Beasley   Unless Austin explodes in the playoffs 

If you spend our 2nd round pick on an offensive tackle, what is your plan for him?  Replace La’el Collins in 2020?

47 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If you spend our 2nd round pick on an offensive tackle, what is your plan for him?  Replace La’el Collins in 2020?

Exactly. There’s a difference between recognizing that we need our players to get healthy vs. draft new players. 

I can see OT fitting somewhere high in the mix. 

Collins is an UFA after 2019 and given the rates probably $10m/yr. Tyron hasn't exactly been a picture of health the last couple of seasons, he's closing in on 30 and there is only one more dead money hurdle to jump. 

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Exactly. There’s a difference between recognizing that we need our players to get healthy vs. draft new players. 

I wouldnt mind Trey Adam's or Edward's if they are both there in the 3rd. Wouldnt be horrible to draft some insurance in case Tyron goes down again. Hes been taken out way too much this year and I'm worried if that continues or even gets worse. 

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I wouldnt mind Trey Adam's or Edward's if they are both there in the 3rd. Wouldnt be horrible to draft some insurance in case Tyron goes down again. Hes been taken out way too much this year and I'm worried if that continues or even gets worse. 

You know me well enough to know that I’ll never complain if we draft o-line or d-line.

6 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

He missed two games and Edward's played really well in both.

He was held on week 17, along with Martin, and Zeke but that shouldn't be held against him. Edwards was over matched against Vernon but wouldn't have been playing at all if the game mattered.

Spending a 2nd on another OT to maybe play a game or two per season is dumb. Unless he is far and away the BPA. Then okay I guess.

But we have Tyron, Collins, Edward's, Martin who was a LT in college and Connor Williams who was a left tackle in college.

That's 4 first round talents who played Left tackle when they were drafted plus Kadeem Edwards. At some point you need to address other areas.

@quiller said he wanted an elite OL with Zeke. Ignoring that they were a top 7 OL this year run blocking.  

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

He missed two games and Edward's played really well in both.

He was held on week 17, along with Martin, and Zeke but that shouldn't be held against him. Edwards was over matched against Vernon but wouldn't have been playing at all if the game mattered.

Spending a 2nd on another OT to maybe play a game or two per season is dumb. Unless he 8s far and away the BPA. Then okay I guess.

But we have Tyron, Collins, Edward's, Martin who was a LT in college and Connor Williams who was a left tackle in college.

That's 4 first round talents who played Left tackle when they were drafted plus Kadeem Edwards.

Do you mean Fleming? Cause I've only seen him sub for Tyron. Course I missed 3 games this year. 

Tyron Smith just turned 28. You don't address his injury uncertainties by blowing a premium pick on his backup. You address issues like that with free agency or developmental prospects like we did with Jeremy Parnell. 

The best argument I see is for an RT to replace La'El Collins in 2020. But that feels like we are spending a prime pick now to make a lateral move and save a little bit of money in the future. The purpose of team building is to get better. Replacing a solid RT with a draft pick you hope is also a solid RT is sometimes necessary because of the cap, but spending a premium draft pick now for what amounts to future cap savings seems like a weak move. 

Sitting there at our pick (or within reach) will be a stud TE, reliable WR, or disruptive DT who can come make an impact on day 1. Sign me up for one of those over OT almost certainly.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Tyron Smith just turned 28. You don't address his injury uncertainties by blowing a premium pick on his backup. You address issues like that with free agency or developmental prospects like we did with Jeremy Parnell. 

The best argument I see is for an RT to replace La'El Collins in 2020. But that feels like we are spending a prime pick now to make a lateral move and save a little bit of money in the future. The purpose of team building is to get better. Replacing a solid RT with a draft pick you hope is also a solid RT is sometimes necessary because of the cap, but spending a premium draft pick now for what amounts to future cap savings seems like a weak move. 

Sitting there at our pick (or within reach) will be a stud TE, reliable WR, or disruptive DT who can come make an impact on day 1. Sign me up for one of those over OT almost certainly.

3rd rounder is not a premium pick. Neither is a 2nd.

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If an OL is the best player available you take him. As Belichick once said:

"I dont understand drafting for need. If you reach for a lesser guy because of need there is no assurance he pans out. Then you are right were you started" <== Paraphrased. 

In the scenario that we do grab a RT... That ends up saving us ~$10m/yr we would have to pay Collins + we get a comp pick + we get to strengthen and train the dude for a year. 

Archived