49ers cut Jeremy Zuttah

TheKillerNacho

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827496/article/jeremy-zuttah-cut-by-49ers-five-months-after-trade

They traded for him just 5 months prior. Was a pro-bowler in 2016 (although probably not a very deserving one). Wonder if the Ravens look to bring him back with the retirement of Urschel...

That was my first reaction - Zuttah is an immediate plug and play guy for the Ravens, given the Urschel retirement.

Wasn't Urschel a guard, though? We released Zuttah primarily because he refused to play at guard where we currently have a major need.

Zuttah has been working mostly with the second team at center. He has not been playing much at guard. Showing the willingness to play both spots is the key for him to win a roster spot. The 49ers thought they were getting that kind of versatility when they brought him aboard. But he is not moving well and has not responded to the challenge to compete wherever the team needs him.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/exhibition-opener-days-away-49ers-biggest-area-concern

Our backup guards right now are an undrafted free agent and an undrafted free agent from last year who found his way onto the practice squad. Neither have been reported as being anything other than bodies. 

35 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

That was my first reaction - Zuttah is an immediate plug and play guy for the Ravens, given the Urschel retirement.

Yea.... no thanks. 

When he was traded, people were throwing out the fact that he was a pro bowler and that PFF gave him above average grades. Nonsense. He is absolutely terrible. Shows what those grades are worth given he couldn't even make the 49ers roster. Just like when we traded Gino Gradkowski, who started at center for us, to the Broncos and he was cut by them in the same preseason. The next time Ravens fans all say our starting center is complete garbage, just believe us.

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

To be fair to most fans if an OL isn't elite they are "garbage".  That's what happens when the only time someone notices you is when you mess up, lol.

Ronnie Stanley - Not Garbage

Alex Lewis - Doesn't seem like garbage

Zuttah - Garbage

Yanda - Obviously not Garbage

Ricky Wagner- Not Garbage

James Hurst- Garbage

John Urschel- I think he was exploitable because he lacked size/strength, but in his prior snaps wasn't drive killing-ly bad 

12 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

To be fair to most fans if an OL isn't elite they are "garbage".  That's what happens when the only time someone notices you is when you mess up, lol.

Long time Ravens fans have seen enough good but not elite Centers to know what they have.  

Zuttah wasn't really a problem prior to 2016 in a true ZBS, but as we began to move towards more man blocking again, it really showed his flaws at the POA.  This is why we all said he was a major problem on the OL throughout the season, and why the Ravens were happy to trade him away for a minor pick upgrade in the 6th round despite already needing to find a new RT in a poor OL draft.

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

It's odd that he doesn't wanna play guard since that's where he started with us. 

Honestly, I wonder if he just didn't want to play for us. He didn't do any of the offseason activities, has been reticent to play guard when getting outplayed by Kilgore at center, and hasn't been in too much of a worry to actually get on the field it seems like to me from the various musings of beat writers. He was very seldom mentioned in any of the camp reports. 

BUT, BUT! He was PRO BOWLER!!! 

I'm not surprised. I went to the pro bowl with a friend of mine, whose a Ravens fan, and he just couldn't help but laugh at the fact that their worst o-lineman made the pro bowl. Zuttah is below average at best. Like someone mentioned above, unless you stare at the trenches, or have game tape, it's not as easy to recognize o-line play. 

Archived