SERIES ISSA OVER BECAUSE BRONS PLAN

El Ramster

The Raptors are different this year! they said. You're not watching if you think this is the same team! they said. Tsk tsk. I'd feel a lot more pity if not for the fact that Raptors fans everywhere were so snappy at the fact that they were being dismissed and that anyone had the nerve to compare them to last year's team. Look, this is the NBA, things are pretty predictable. If your core is the same, the results are probably going to be the same. The onus was on the Raptors to prove otherwise.

I’ll respond to some in the best way I am able to. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

You don't need to blow everything up. The truth is that you're unlikely to ever make the Finals until you have a real elite player. Blowing everything up doesn't fix that issue. DeRozan and Lowry aren't #1s on championship teams. 

I can hardly dignify this with a response. You appear to be a Warriors fan. Being a fan of both an LA team (Rams) and a SF/Bay Area seems to be somewhat taboo like a Yankees/Pats fan. I’m not trying to attack you but it kinda makes me wanna label you as a bandwagon fan. 

If this is meant in a serious non trolling way the keeping this team together that tops out as the second best team in the east doesn’t solve anything either. When they win 59 games get the 1 seed have a top 10 offense and defense and play likely the worst Cavs LeBron has had since his return there is no point to keep going on this 3 year plan/window that is set. If this is straight trolling I do not appreciate it right now. 

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4000501

Don't worry man, sometimes your team just runs into a buzzsaw and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Take my Pels running into GS for example. Always next year.

I appreciate this. It’s just this is the third year in a row and lIS this is the worst iteration of the new Cavs and to go down 2-0 w/HC and likely lose in 4 (maybe 5?) or whatever really stings and this is a 5th straight season in the playoffs and the team seemed to be steadily improving each season it’s a tough finish yet again. 

It really is hard to predict even one year in the future in today’s NBA with all the possible moves. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

They need to wait it out to see what Lebron does.  If Lebron leaves and goes west they have a shot. If not just tear it down. Keep derozen and OG. Trade everyone else for picks and youth. Ibaka is done. Lowry can’t be trusted. JV gets exposed by shooting bigs. 

This is an option. It is possible this is a slight heat of the moment overaction but a few things need to be done. Casey has to go, year in year out it’s the same. He never has the team prepared to play he has no idea about in game adjustments. He plays lineups with no rhyme or reason it seems. He has terrible TO plays all the time. He just keeps making things a lot harder than they need to be. That needs to happen.

If LeBron is in the West I guess in theory with 2 years left on a “3 year plan” we could try again. Boston and Philly whom I firmly believe Toronto was better than this year could easily change next year and things could be different. Who knows maybe by the beginning of the season I’ll change my outlook if things stay relatively the same. I still think blowing the team up has to be a consideration or perhaps a reset keeping DeRozan and getting rid of Lowry, Serge and Powell if at all possible. 

JV is an interesting case I see his value but I also know is limitations. He can only play in certain situations I’d love to keep him but making $16m is too much. I mean look at game 1 he looked like the best player on the court for a stretch and then the worst player in the court in the same game. 

FVV/Wright/OG/Pascal/Poeltl all need to stay and with FVV as the only upcoming FA he’ll need to be a priority. I realize the valuation of bench players may be off but some of these guys can be real starters on a good team and the rest can still carry a bench. A bench that was outplaying teams starters in the first half of the season. It really did taper off as the season went on and I didn’t want to admit it. 

54 minutes ago, champ11 said:

so what happened? 

The Nuggets drafted OG and made the playoffs...

51 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The Raptors are different this year! they said. You're not watching if you think this is the same team! they said. Tsk tsk. I'd feel a lot more pity if not for the fact that Raptors fans everywhere were so snappy at the fact that they were being dismissed and that anyone had the nerve to compare them to last year's team. Look, this is the NBA, things are pretty predictable. If your core is the same, the results are probably going to be the same. The onus was on the Raptors to prove otherwise.

Again. 59 wins (franchise record), 1 seed in the East. Top 10 O and D. Amazing depth. New offensive system. Dominated the also rans had good record and very competitive games at least against the leagues best teams all year. 

What was I supposed to say oh well all that’s nice but I expect my team to suck in the playoffs and lose to the worst version of this LeBron Cleveland team again?

Also before anyone looks into it I’m aware that every player on the team not on a rookie deal is technically on a “bad contract” and that a rebuild is a lot easier said than done. So there’s that. That’ll factor into it a lot. 

55 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

I can hardly dignify this with a response. You appear to be a Warriors fan. Being a fan of both an LA team (Rams) and a SF/Bay Area seems to be somewhat taboo like a Yankees/Pats fan. I’m not trying to attack you but it kinda makes me wanna label you as a bandwagon fan. 

I am a de facto Warriors fan because I bet a friend of mine before the season started that they'd win the championship again. I don't like losing bets. I don't have a favorite NBA team. The closest thing to that was the Pacers in the past because I loved a lot of the guys on that team (Paul George, Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Lance Stephenson, and David West). However, that team is gone, so I root for players whom I like. I am a big fan of Paul George, Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, Damian Lillard, C.J. McCollum, and Giannis, so I root for those guys. I don't care if you label me a bandwagon fan. I'm right, and you know it.

If this is meant in a serious non trolling way the keeping this team together that tops out as the second best team in the east doesn’t solve anything either. When they win 59 games get the 1 seed have a top 10 offense and defense and play likely the worst Cavs LeBron has had since his return there is no point to keep going on this 3 year plan/window that is set. If this is straight trolling I do not appreciate it right now. 

59 wins is better than being crap. You can tank in hopes of being the 76ers, but you could just as easily end up being the Magic.

29 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I am a de facto Warriors fan because I bet a friend of mine before the season started that they'd win the championship again. I don't like losing bets. I don't have a favorite NBA team. The closest thing to that was the Pacers in the past because I loved a lot of the guys on that team (Paul George, Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Lance Stephenson, and David West). However, that team is gone, so I root for players whom I like. I am a big fan of Paul George, Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, Damian Lillard, C.J. McCollum, and Giannis, so I root for those guys. I don't care if you label me a bandwagon fan. I'm right, and you know it.

59 wins is better than being crap. You can tank in hopes of being the 76ers, but you could just as easily end up being the Magic.

Alright. First of all I have no issues with I am already triggered not only because of this which has been absolutely devastating but also I may lose a major client at work this month and it will be through no fault of my own but I will have to shoulder 100% of the blame if this does happen. So I’m more triggered than usual. 

It seemed odd through the internet it’s hard to tell but there was a level of superiority, condescension and entitlement that I did not enjoy from some of your recent posts. If true I really have no thoughts either way it seems weird but whatever your friend is out of his mind if you have any sort of real stakes on this bet.

I get your second point and if you said this last year I would have agreed but the three year window is about to close and we will end up being mediocre without any real success except for an ECF apperence and for this team I was not expecting to win the nba championship I was expecting to get to the finals and hope somehow Curry would be hurt and it would be Houston and not them and just watch and hope. But again it’s the Warriors.

The Toronto Raptors have never even bothered to try a real rebuild even when forced to rebuild we would try and patch holes and never have a real shot at a top pick aside from the Bargnani pick which was blown that can happen, strange year, no real standout top pick as it was the first year of the new 1 and done rules. To get the number one pick that year was heartbreaking. 

We have a real GM this time around who was almost stuck with this core. Lowry was a second away from being traded and DD wouldn’t have been resigned but crazily enough when Rudy Gay left we played better as a team and somehow became a playoff team. 

This core has two years left and I just don’t want to go through this again I understand being a pretty good team I had fun throughout the regular season even though everyone said win your 50 games let’s see it in the playoffs I was waiting for this year to be different that criticism that I  have seen was from people simply not looking at us or watching games because we are a Canadian team and it was incorrect but you know what people that haven’t watched us all season long still get to be right because maybe it was correct.

This core right now simply can’t do it. I am aware of the possibility of being the Orlando Magic. I am willing to take that chance rather than be a nice solid good regular season team next year. 

Its all LeBron I guess if he does indeed go west we have a shot however Philly and Boston will still be here and the primes of Lowry and DD will be gone soon I mean I’m just suggesting starting this two years earlier than what would happen with keeping the gang together I see nothing wrong with this. 

Ive been a fan of this team for so long and this really is the best team we have had and it can’t beat the worst Cleveland team since 2010. I know what it’s like to be a god damn cesspool more similar to this current version of the Knicks with one star player and a bunch of patch work overpaid FAs and some mid lotto busts. 

1 hour ago, kyle21121 said:

Also before anyone looks into it I’m aware that every player on the team not on a rookie deal is technically on a “bad contract” and that a rebuild is a lot easier said than done. So there’s that. That’ll factor into it a lot. 

I agree, I wouldn't tear it down.  On one hand, there's no shame in losing to the Cavs; however, the Raptors just don't have THAT GUY.  They're actually a good team and well coached, but in the NBA you need a guy who can close games or get your team through really tough offensive spurts.  Obviously not every team has a player like that, but there's still hope.  Utah drafted Donovan Mitchell, so maybe the Raptors can get fortunate and get a guy like that.  Or if they could have gotten a guy like Kyrie Irving.  They have someone like Mitchell and they win game one.

Raptors played well enough to win tonight, but LeBron and Love went off.  LeBron can go off, but you can't have a guy like Love going off with him or you don't stand a chance.

1 minute ago, kyle21121 said:

Alright. First of all I have no issues with I am already triggered not only because of this which has been absolutely devastating but also I may lose a major client at work this month and it will be through no fault of my own but I will have to shoulder 100% of the blame if this does happen. So I’m more triggered than usual. 

It seemed odd through the internet it’s hard to tell but there was a level of superiority, condescension and entitlement that I did not enjoy from some of your recent posts. If true I really have no thoughts either way it seems weird but whatever your friend is out of his mind if you have any sort of real stakes on this bet.

I get your second point and if you said this last year I would have agreed but the three year window is about to close and we will end up being mediocre without any real success except for an ECF apperence and for this team I was not expecting to win the nba championship I was expecting to get to the finals and hope somehow Curry would be hurt and it would be Houston and not them and just watch and hope. But again it’s the Warriors.

The Toronto Raptors have never even bothered to try a real rebuild even when forced to rebuild we would try and patch holes and never have a real shot at a top pick aside from the Bargnani pick which was blown that can happen, strange year, no real standout top pick as it was the first year of the new 1 and done rules. To get the number one pick that year was heartbreaking. 

We have a real GM this time around who was almost stuck with this core. Lowry was a second away from being traded and DD wouldn’t have been resigned but crazily enough when Rudy Gay left we played better as a team and somehow became a playoff team. 

This core has two years left and I just don’t want to go through this again I understand being a pretty good team I had fun throughout the regular season even though everyone said win your 50 games let’s see it in the playoffs I was waiting for this year to be different that criticism that I  have seen was from people simply not looking at us or watching games because we are a Canadian team and it was incorrect but you know what people that haven’t watched us all season long still get to be right because maybe it was correct.

This core right now simply can’t do it. I am aware of the possibility of being the Orlando Magic. I am willing to take that chance rather than be a nice solid good regular season team next year. 

Its all LeBron I guess if he does indeed go west we have a shot however Philly and Boston will still be here and the primes of Lowry and DD will be gone soon I mean I’m just suggesting starting this two years earlier than what would happen with keeping the gang together I see nothing wrong with this. 

Ive been a fan of this team for so long and this really is the best team we have had and it can’t beat the worst Cleveland team since 2010. I know what it’s like to be a god damn cesspool more similar to this current version of the Knicks with one star player and a bunch of patch work overpaid FAs and some mid lotto busts. 

I'm sorry to hear you're going through hard times. Blowing things up is always the gut reaction. I think I'd stick it out for another year. If a good trade offer came for Lowry, I'd strongly consider it. I don't disagree that change is needed, but I disagree that blowing it all to hell is the right way to go. You have good pieces. You just need to find the piece that pushes you over the edge. You've done a nice job of drafting of late. I'd look to trade JV and Lowry (if you get a good offer for Lowry). I'd keep building up the team and hope to find a gem like Donovan Mitchell. DeRozan can be a #2. You have depth. OG or Poeltl might be able to be a #3. You just gotta find a #1. Lowry isn't that guy, and DeRozan doesn't have the killer instinct to be that guy.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I agree, I wouldn't tear it down.  On one hand, there's no shame in losing to the Cavs; however, the Raptors just don't have THAT GUY.  They're actually a good team and well coached, but in the NBA you need a guy who can close games or get your team through really tough offensive spurts.  Obviously not every team has a player like that, but there's still hope.  Utah drafted Donovan Mitchell, so maybe the Raptors can get fortunate and get a guy like that.  Or if they could have gotten a guy like Kyrie Irving.  They have someone like Mitchell and they win game one.

Raptors played well enough to win tonight, but LeBron and Love went off.  LeBron can go off, but you can't have a guy like Love going off with him or you don't stand a chance.

It’s tough. I think it also may be a mental thing as well as much as I hated that in the past he may just be true. Some how getting lucky and getting that guy would be absolutely fantastic. 

IDK though I’ve had many thoughts tonight that could very well be overreactionary but there is some truth to it. It just pains me so much right now. I’ll have to check back in with a clearer head in July to see what’s been done around the league and see where I land. 

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm sorry to hear you're going through hard times. Blowing things up is always the gut reaction. I think I'd stick it out for another year. If a good trade offer came for Lowry, I'd strongly consider it. I don't disagree that change is needed, but I disagree that blowing it all to hell is the right way to go. You have good pieces. You just need to find the piece that pushes you over the edge. You've done a nice job of drafting of late. I'd look to trade JV and Lowry (if you get a good offer for Lowry). I'd keep building up the team and hope to find a gem like Donovan Mitchell. DeRozan can be a #2. You have depth. OG or Poeltl might be able to be a #3. You just gotta find a #1. Lowry isn't that guy, and DeRozan doesn't have the killer instinct to be that guy.

It’s all good man I didn’t mean to offend you or anything and thank you. 

I just gotta wait and see I guess. The whole last three years ending with the same result just got to me along with other things more so than usual. 

This core right now can get close but not win. A new coach and trading away Ibaka and somehow making a move (no draft picks) but something may be a good call but as of this moment it’s hard to believe right now. 

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I don’t know if you were saying this before, but it’s freakin easy to say that now. They got better, they got deeper. And also let’s not act like all this optimism about the Raptors was about just them, it was the fact Cleveland got a lot worse. Now we’ve come to find out that LeBron trumps all that over the Raptors. They are definitely a better team than last year that indisputable just doesn’t matter when you face Bron.

Archived