CW21's 2018 NFL Draft Review (Browns Up)

CWood21

14 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

Say what you want, everybody laughed at Chicago trading up for Trubisky, ditto for KC and Houston for Mahomes and Watson and IMO, we are the laughing stocks now for questioning the judgment of these organizations.

Beane, the Bills GM looks to me to be one of the best talent judges in the business and has already taken a dead Buffalo franchise quickly to the playoffs, with a career backup at QB and I for one, am not going to question his judgment on Allen until I actually see him flop.

I said right from the beginning that Rosen would drop to at least #10 on draft day if not further and it had nothing to do with character or talent, it had all to do with his ability to stay healthy and actually be able to play football and it my opinion and I guess in the opinion of most NFL GM's, they agreed. 

Definitely too early to make an opinion on Trubisky or Mahomes, and probably on Watson until we see how he recovers from his torn ACL.  Of the three, I think only Houston feels vindicated.  In the 10 games where Trubisky threw at least 20 passes, he had only had three games where he completed at least 60% of his passes, a TD/INT ratio of at least 1:1, and averaged at least 7 YPA.  Those were against Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Green Bay which ranked 13th, 32nd, and 31st in opposing QBRs.  That's more than enough reason for me to pause.  Just for comparison, Brett Hundley had two games where he hit those benchmarks, and Packer fans were ready to run him out of town.  I'd temper your optimism with regards to Trubisky.  As for Mahomes, he played in 1 game last year.  I'd really not make any opinions off of that.  LIS, I have no issues with a team taking their QB, because quite frankly I probably would have given them a D or D- if it was based on my opinion of Josh Allen.

That being said, you're definitely WAY too quick to give credit to Beane.  He wasn't hired until after the 2017 draft, so his impact on the Bills '17 season is limited to the deals he made in August.  And it's not very often that you deal a starting WR and CB, and somehow end up with a better record than the year before.  They were also +3 in close wins/losses last year, so they're due for regression.

25 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I said right from the beginning that Rosen would drop to at least #10 on draft day if not further and it had nothing to do with character or talent, it had all to do with his ability to stay healthy and actually be able to play football and it my opinion and I guess in the opinion of most NFL GM's, they agreed. 

Based from what I've seen, it seems that the "majority" of teams had Darnold and Mayfield ranked as their top two QBs.  But after those two, it was a toss-up who was 3rd.  But the problem was the number of teams inside the top 10 that already had their QB of choice in the fold.  Cleveland had Baker Mayfield, New York had Sam Darnold, Indianapolis had Andrew Luck, Tampa Bay had Jameis Winston, Chicago has Mitch Trubisky, San Francisco had Jimmy Garrappolo, and Oakland had Derek Carr.  8 of the top 10 picks had their QBs accounted for.  The only two that didn't opted to stick to their board, and selected a non-QB.  The fact that Josh Rosen fell 3 more picks than Josh Allen doesn't confirm your opinion.

@BillsGuy82 summed it up very nicely. A lot of us Bills fans preferred Rosen to Allen, but we're trusting our staffs judgement on Allen here. I hope they get it right, they've gotten a lot right since taking over. I was a huge Rosen supporter and had him as my #1 QB. I share all of your concerns on Allen. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) being wrong on my initial assessment though. I will say this, Allen as a person fits everything Buffalo is about. Rosen is pretty much the exact opposite. I think that was a key factor in the decision.

As far as your argument with taking iOL over the LB option.. I would argue LB was our easily our second biggest need after QB. We lost Preston Brown, our signal caller, and after bringing in a handful of free agents at that position (and not signing any of them btw), it was clear they had a priority set on filling the position in the draft. We have John Miller, a former 3rd round selection, who has been up and down for us. He didn't seem to fit the system we ran last year but with our new OC and a fresh start, I think our staff believes he can compete for a starting role again. Ryan Groy slots in at either guard or center and should be more than serviceable at either. Russell Bodine was brought in... don't have a lot of hope for him. So we did make an effort to fill some of those voids whether you or I think they're quality starters or not. I think Wyatt Teller has a decent shot at cracking the starting lineup. I personally thought he was a steal in the 5th round. Had him graded as more of a late 3rd-4th round guy.

At LBer we have Milano at WLB, nobody of note at MLB, and an aging Lorenzo Alexander at SLB. Behind those guys there isn't much. Edmonds has versatility to play anywhere, so his value to us is extremely high. Add in the fact that he is a monster of a prospect... we had to grab him. Can't believe he fell to the spot he did and don't fault our staff at all for going after him at 16. He's almost a guarantee to start day 1 as our MLB, and at 20 years old (as of today), he has a bright, long future there. Of all the picks, this one was my favorite. 

Harrison Phillips was a straight up steal at 96. Had him as a 2nd round pick. He'll fit in well here and on our DL rotation. 

The late round guys I agree with you on. All meh selections for the most part. If we hit on one or two of them as quality depth guys I'll be happy. Siran Neal stands out to me. We needed to address WR earlier as you eluded to. Very disappointed about that. Beane said they weren't high on this class of WRs so I'll 'trust the process' lol. 

Appreciate the feedback for our team. It will all depend on how Allen pans out. Hope for Buffalo's sake he can prove the immense amount of doubters wrong.

Bills grade seems a little low.  And I'm not even a fan of Josh Allen. I grade him out as a C- but there is no denying at 7 Allen is worth the risk. There was talk of him going #1 overall or us moving up to #2 or #4 to get him. We saved our first round picks and still managed to get a guy who was considered #1 overall. And I don't even like him Edmunds is a easy A+ for me at that pick. We all know McDermott loves athletic LB and with Brown leaving and us have zero depth at the position. MLB is even more of a need for the Bills than QB is. And I love Harrison Philips at 96. That was a huge steal in my eyes. Guy should be a 2nd round pick. He is the perfect replacement for Kyle Williams. He is practically the same kind of player as Kyle. I grade Harrison out as an A-. After that no real standouts. I love the Teller and McCloud pick tho. I feel if we drafted Edmunds at 7 and Allen at 16 then we would have a better grade. Which shouldn't be the case because we ended up with the same freaking players.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I definitely disagree with this sentiment.  I wasn't a big fan of Josh Allen, but he was clearly a tier than the group of QBs you're talking about.  And I had Allen as a 3rd round grade.  The difference between Rosen and Lauletta/White was night and day.

I don’t completely disagree with you but remember college stars don’t always translate to the pro game. Cousins was a fourth rounder and Wilson was a third. Prescott went in the fourth as well and Romo was undrafted. Brady was a sixth rounder who in college couldn’t beat out Brian Griese. Forgive me if I don’t buy the hype just yet. I’m very hopeful that Rosen will be great and he will be our quarterback for the next 15 years. But if he’s not...

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure how you can just magically throw that question out the window.  They weren't in a position to draft Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield, so you can throw that hypothetical out the window.  Josh Allen was the highest drafted QB that wasn't a top 3 pick since Ryan Tannehill was selected 8th overall by the Dolphins in 2017.  In fact, the QBs drafted 6-12 since 2000 include Byron Leftwich (2003), Ben Roethlisburger (2004), Matt Leinart (2006), Jay Cutler (2006), Jake Locker (2011), Blaine Gabbert (2011), Christian Ponder (2011), and Ryan Tannehill (2008).  Even if you include Jay Cutler and Tannehill as hits, that's a success rate of 37.5%.  Now given what the Bills gave up, I'd certainly expect more than Jay Cutler/Ryan Tannehill.  That's my issue.  Allen needs to be more than a good QB, he needs to be a great QB and I don't think he's going to be a great QB.  Former career QB journeyman, Dan Orlovsky, had some really good breakdowns on Allen, and pretty much highlighted his issues.  He's not a naturally accurate passer and his throw anticipation lags severely.  Those are two significant red flags.  For me, getting Josh Rosen at 10 for a 3rd and 5th round pick FAR exceeds the pair of 2nds that the Bills gave up to get Allen, so that alone knocks the value down for the Bills.  Add on that I prefer Rosen to Allen, and the difference goes down significantly.  If you wanna gamble on Allen go right ahead.  That's not the gamble I'd make.  I'd rather run the risk that Rosen is going to alienate the locker room.  Maybe I'd feel a bit more comfortable if the OC/QB coach had more history working with QBs.

Speaking of trades, last year the Chiefs gave up #27, #91, and a '18 1st to move up to select Patrick Mahomes.  The Texans traded up using #25 and their '18 1st round pick.  Personally, I use the last pick of the next round to value future picks, so let's value the '18 1sts as the 64th pick of the '17 draft.  The Chiefs effectively got a surplus value of the 75th pick.  On the other hand, the Texans got a surplus value of 76th pick.  So they essentially both got an extra 3rd in return in a sense.  On the other hand, the Bills gave up an extra mid-2nd to move up.  That's poor value, especially given the fact that the Bills moved up 5 slots where as the Chiefs/Texans moved up 15+ spots.

How is most of this relevant? Seriously, it seems to be pasta you are trying to stick to the refrigerator door. The Bills were prepared to pay the #4 pick for their player. They got him. That is what is important. 

You can claim that Josh Allen is not worth the #4 pick, as you  did, but it is still opinion and the Bills have the right to disagree. Their position is also reasonable and you owe them that much credit. What you have no right to do is claim they overpaid. That did not happen.

J

I was quite vocal about preferring Josh Rosen over Allen. My reasons match all the concerns already mentioned. Don't really know what to expect from him - at this point all I have is hope that he reaches a lot of the supposedly awesome potential. I hate drafting 1st rounders based on their potential rather than on-field execution. As a result, I'm quite ambivalent with his selection...graded a C and only because we kept this year's and next's other 1st rounders.

We Bills fans knew how badly we needed a MLB. You could argue that after we landed McCarron, QB was even less of a need than MLB. McDermott's D relies on a sideline-to-sideline guy who can also cover. Even when we had Preston Brown, we had no one who fit that ideal MLB. Landing Edmunds at 16 was huge. I give that move up and the selection a A+. Need to repeat that next year as our SLB and WLB are both substandard at this time IMO.

Phillips was the next key pick. Keeping Edmunds as clean as possible is an absolute necessity in our defensive scheme. McDermott in the past has utilized two near 1-techniques (as opposed to 3's) inside so that his MLB can rack up the tackles. Phillips fits this to a T. At #96, we got terrific value. I'd give this another A+.

The Taron Johnson pick is a piping hot cup of whatever. I guess he was an attempt to replace Leonard Johnson, who I thought was somewhat inconsistent last year. I had other ideas for this pick and a CB, even one who is a solid tackler, wasn't it. I get that we at least needed CB depth, though, so I'll give this pick a generous C-.

Next, as was mentioned above, we should have picked St. Brown or Cedric Wilson. I actually specifically named those two during the draft. We went with Teller. I get the need to go after at least depth at the G position, as I'm not a huge fan of Ducasse. Most thought Teller regressed last year, but he still offers good value at this pick and definitely fits our switch to power/man blocking, so I can totally understand and live with this pick. I'd grade this one a B.

My two WR preferences were still available and we next drafted a slash/WR named McCloud. This pick I found quite disappointing because he just wasn't valued enough at the college level to get what I view as significant playing time at WR. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but I'm giving the pick a D...not an F only because we do need additional depth at the position and he actually did play some on the outside, which is where we need the help.

Our last pick was another WR named Proehl. It was practically at the very end of the draft, so even though I was hoping to add to our ST/LB depth with Skai Moore (who went undrafted), picking another WR who will most likely be relegated to ST duty isn't the end of the world. I give this pick a C+.

As a whole, after giving more weight to the earlier picks, I'd give our draft a B grade.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Definitely too early to make an opinion on Trubisky or Mahomes, and probably on Watson until we see how he recovers from his torn ACL.  Of the three, I think only Houston feels vindicated.  In the 10 games where Trubisky threw at least 20 passes, he had only had three games where he completed at least 60% of his passes, a TD/INT ratio of at least 1:1, and averaged at least 7 YPA.  Those were against Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Green Bay which ranked 13th, 32nd, and 31st in opposing QBRs.  That's more than enough reason for me to pause.  Just for comparison, Brett Hundley had two games where he hit those benchmarks, and Packer fans were ready to run him out of town.  I'd temper your optimism with regards to Trubisky.  As for Mahomes, he played in 1 game last year.  I'd really not make any opinions off of that.  LIS, I have no issues with a team taking their QB, because quite frankly I probably would have given them a D or D- if it was based on my opinion of Josh Allen.

That being said, you're definitely WAY too quick to give credit to Beane.  He wasn't hired until after the 2017 draft, so his impact on the Bills '17 season is limited to the deals he made in August.  And it's not very often that you deal a starting WR and CB, and somehow end up with a better record than the year before.  They were also +3 in close wins/losses last year, so they're due for regression.

Like a lot of people, I watched Trubisky late in the season to see how he performed and he looked great to me. When you add in how inexperienced he is, his future looks top 10 promising. Like not jumping on Rookie QB's success stories, I do not take the stats of a rookie QB too seriously as few ever perform as stars when still a rookie. I look at how they behave in the pocket, how good their arm is and whether or not they are tough competitors and for me at least, Trubisky passed all with flying colours and I see the potential to be a top 10 QB

As for Mahomes, Andy Reid is simply put, is a great appraiser of QB talent and has got the most out of QB's since he became a HC in Philly. For him to trade Smith and go with Mahomes, speaks volumes to me about Mahomes' upside. I have no doubt that Mahomes will be a fine  NFL QB.

Watson proved his worth as a rookie, now I am not one to jump on a player's bandwagon off his rookie season, Watson did show that calmness and leadership of a top 10 potential QB last season for Houston and if he continues to play that well, he will be a star, but I want to see more.

People were seriously critical of Beane when he was hired, since he dumped a few stars off the team, players, previous high picks,getting too little in return, but his team responded perfectly and went to the playoffs with a career backup at QB and that is pretty impressive to me.

Of course with a rookie QB, I fully expect Buffalo to take a step backwards till he is solid by season 2, but it show'd me that Beane has real guts when he dumped Taylor for a rookie, because he believed strongly, that Allen can be the next Jim Kelly.

Smart and successful HC's and GM's clean house when they first take over a team and are only impressed by results not by where players were drafted. So getting rid of Gilmore, Woods and finally Darius took immense guts and to win after doing it, meant he has a real talent in understanding player's. work ethic and what that work etic means to a football team.

I see a very bright future for Buffalo and if Allen pans out, they could dominate their Division post Brady for years to come. After all, I would have rated Buffalo's chances of making the playoffs last season at around 100 to 1!!!

I firmly believe Beane is one of the new bright minds of the game and Buffalo is going to have a long run of success under his guidance.

I think it is silly to grade the draft as fans we have our opinions so its a biased grade based on whether or not you like Josh Allen. Was he the guy I wanted NO but the value of a qb who has been talked about as a top 10 player picked in this draft is where you got to take the value of it, the bills landed their franchise qb at 7 whether they gave up to much is up to the experts. I think it was, as this trade seemed like what they had in place with the broncos before cancelling the deal as they didnt expect chubb to land in their laps. It is also less than what the Jets gave up that they may or may not have had a shot at their qb at 6 and kept those picks. Either way if Beane and McDermott believe this is their franchise qb a couple of 2nd rd picks is well worth it. Not to mention they landed another top 10 prospect in Edmunds who could have been discussed as a top 5 non qb positional pick for teams. Both Allen and Edmunds have some raw potential where it may be risky to have picked them but the value can far exceed what the picks are which we will likely not know until 2021-2022. Keep in mind that the bills just drafted 2 of the top needs and most important positions in the draft where they both can be the franchise guys on both sides of the ball for 10-15 years as Edmunds will likely play MLB and be the signal caller on D.

I wanted Josh Rosen and he was there, I was pissed that the bills passed on him until he spoke at the media conference that night. He acted like a spoiled brat like most media personnel discussed leading up to the draft whining about 9 teams not picking him and then having to put a fake smile on his face once he was selected. With that type of attitude, coming from money, and living in a big city his personality may have not fit the Buffalo/McDermott/Beane culture of a hard working city to fight for everything they have. Josh Allen's personality fits that coming from a small town where he had zero scholarships etc. Buffalo will be the biggest city he lives in so he will appreciate the area more then Rosen, as I feel like he will speak his mind when he is unhappy. Kind of like Willis McGahee where he was upset there were no clubs or things to do like he had in Miami. Also does Rosen's nonfilter speaking, will it cause a rift in the locker room if they lose a game because of defense or no running game? Will he cry if he doesnt get the starting job over Bradford, all these characteristics had me questioning his personality and whether or not that would be a good fit in the locker room.

Harrison Phillips was one of the guys who I truly wanted and for him to be there at pick 96 was great, as he was projected as a late 1st early 2nd rd pick.

Nickel/Slot Corner had a hole and some can say it wasnt as important as other spots but if your HC is a Defensive specialist you want him to succeed at his strengths and then focus longterm on his weakness which is offense. So going in and landing a top slot corner in the draft in the 4th rd was a nice pick. 

Teller OG was said to be a top 10 olineman according to PFF as he was graded out high the last 2 years he was at Va Tech.

I have said Wr in this draft class was pretty bad the top 5 WR were worth taking and can be either a 1/2 on their team but after that the position was weak and all projects so I was hoping the bills would pass on them which they did. McCloud is a gadget Special Teamer and will compete with Kerley on return duties. I also see him as a 3rd and long type back where they need to set up bubble screen etc to get him open in the field.

All in all I think the draft was better then expected, no they didnt land my qb and took the qb I was against but the value of getting him was worth it if he pans out. Beane set them up for this by trading away assets he had no intention of extending and bringing in guys who he thought would fit their mold that is the downside of having a new GM/HC as they always want to replace old regime players with theres.

If you look at it the bills gave up their own 2nd rd pick to get allen and thats it. Glenn was expendable after the rookie season Dawkins had on top of the injury plagued 2 years for Glenn and the massive contract he had left, so they took the 1st rd pick they earned from KC moved up trading glenn, then gave up their 2nd rd pick as well as the rams 2nd rd they got for Watkins. Yea they are picks but if it lands the franchise qb who can be their guy for 10-15 years a couple of second rd picks will not matter in a few years. If he busts Beane and McDermott will likely be gone and the new regime will come in and replace the players the current regime has so those picks wouldnt matter either.

Bills are in rebuild say what you want thats what they are making the playoffs was a nice fluke story but they are in phase 2 of the rebuild process. Phase 1 was gutting the players they didnt want and cleaning up cap, Phase 2 land the foundation of your team which they have with both last year and this years offseason moves, phase 3 is to go all in on the draft and cap space they cleared to make a playoff push will likely happen in 2019.

16 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

How is most of this relevant? Seriously, it seems to be pasta you are trying to stick to the refrigerator door. The Bills were prepared to pay the #4 pick for their player. They got him. That is what is important. 

You can claim that Josh Allen is not worth the #4 pick, as you  did, but it is still opinion and the Bills have the right to disagree. Their position is also reasonable and you owe them that much credit. What you have no right to do is claim they overpaid. That did not happen.

J

So the fact that that the Bills overpaid for what they received AND the fact that my grade is based on what I think of their draft.  I'm sure the Bills are glad to be happy with their selections, doesn't mean they're right.  I'm making my opinion in this thread.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So the fact that that the Bills overpaid for what they received AND the fact that my grade is based on what I think of their draft.  I'm sure the Bills are glad to be happy with their selections, doesn't mean they're right.  I'm making my opinion in this thread.

Distinguish reach fro overpay. They are very different. The first is an opinion on player valuation. The second is a matter of competence. For example, You may be of the opinion that $ballpark dogs are only worth $1. Paying $2 is reaching. Overpaying is giving the vendor $3. Say the Bills reached if you wish, but don't say they did not know the price.

J

On 4/30/2018 at 8:29 PM, steelcurtain29 said:

D+ is probably too high for everyone in the forum but myself. I think C- is fair. I don't think the Edmunds pick is all that bad. Rudolph is the best value to me. WR is a need, especially since they got Washington and Rudolph.

I hope Summers can pan out, but I'm not holding my breath. Allen I feel won't do much. OT in the third was an awful pick since it's not even a need. Last pick is a head-scratcher.

I feel this draft won't be a bust, but it wasn't very good; in terms of drafting.

As a Steeler fan, we tend to see the draft more positively than other teams' fans. CW admitted not liking Washington or Rudolph, so that is going to negatively impact the grade. PFF has them ranked 24th and 25th (yeah, I know, PFF...), and most other sites had Rudolph gone by the end of the 2nd, so the get him in the 3rd is good value.  Washington is the same; he was projected a 2nd/3rd Rd pick, and taken late 2nd.  OK, no problem there, and he IS different than what we have; I'm surprised people do not see this. Washington is NOTHING like AB, and AB is not a Deep Threat specialist.  Just because AB CAN do a little bit of everything, doesn't mean he's our 'specialist'.  We just traded away Bryant; we had intentions, obviously, on taking Rudolph, so we take his 'security blanket' and 2017 Biletnikoff winner with huge hands, great build-up speed, and jump-ball skills.  How is this bad for us...and Rudolph's development?

Okorafor was taken about 1/2 round later then projected; Allen was taken 1-2 rounds later than projected. as was Samuels. and did everyone forget we happen to have this guy named Munchak as our Offensive Line Coach? Remind me again when Villanueva, one of 3 Pro bowl OL this past year was drafted?  Where is Okorafor going to play?  My bet is RT; Gilbert was just put on notice, as he had a horrific 2017--injuries/suspensions.  As a non-Steeler fan, CW's not going to understand this, but I thought he'd at least figure that with this size--6'6" 320--that he's a shoe-in for a RT.

Anyway, this just goes to show how personal feelings about a specific player or two can REALLY jade one's outlook.  Seemingly, every year as of late, the Steelers 'lose' the draft, yet somehow, end up with superb players. Fine with me...Shazier was too small, Bell was too fat and slow, Watt 'isn't his brother' and there were better BPA on the board, Artie Burns was a 2-down reach...the list goes on and on.  Burns may not be 'great', but he's started 25 of 32 games in the league. I know Hargreaves, Apple, and Jackson have tore it up in the league and outplayed Burns...oh wait, no they haven't...

So, Terrell Edmunds was a reach; at least one site, who's been covering the draft since when I started watching (or close to it) for the past 18 years, GBN Report, had Terrell at 39th overall, so maybe not as monumental has some would believe. 

And I disagree that the draft was all over the place; it's clear they had a plan going in. Our #2/#3 options at QB are abysmal, and Ben gets dinged more than most; we lost our deep threat...we grabbed a replacement; Our RT had injury/suspension issues last year, and we took one of those, as well; we needed in the box help in the form of bodies to put on TEs, etc., and we took 2 of those in Allen and Edmunds; Bell is acting like a drama queen, and we took a back who can potentially take his tgts out of the back field, if we can make him a better pure Runner.  The DT, well, he's a 7th Rd guy...who knows. If anything, that was my biggest head-scratcher.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:43 PM, JustPlainNasty said:

We're not so far off in opinions but you are undervaluing Edmunds with Day 3 range. I wasnt ecstatic about the pick but late 2nd early 3rd was the appropriate range with an arrow upward. It was the most questionable pick of the first round with the exception of New Orleans giving up next years 1st for a non QB. 

Im also not a fan of Washingtons and trying to come to grips with the pick. On the upside he has big strong hands but is not as consistent as folks would like you to think, he has lapses. So what Im guessing is the Steelers put significant value in someone being able to catch deep balls with regularity, however I fail to see how this receiver that shows no special ability to separate will do so to catch those deep balls as uncontested as they typically are in the Big 12. 

I was harder on Rudolph earlier in the draft process but I see the traits that intrigue. He did struggle at times with accuracy but I feel may have evolved some and can, similar to Dak Prescott perhaps who was a very shaky thrower up until late in his senior year at Miss State. The value at 79 was fine,I had him a little lower but the market always determines things with qbs, there was a market for him. 

The worst pick of the draft for the Steelers was easily the Okorafor pick based on several factors. His talent/technique and need for development. His hands are what bother me most, it takes a long time for him to get his hands up into position and to recoil and reset as well. The placement is typically outside rather than in and the combination of both factors leads to the potential for holding and getting beat. Im not fond of his get off / timing of the snap which again combined with the hands could be a killer. Lastly he isn't exactly aggressive, a characteristic that could've made up for some things. 

The other factors were the position itself and the lack of immediate need. I dont have a problem with taking BPA, but if your BPA is commonly regarded project in the 3rd round at a position you dont really need well then you must've really not thought much of the talent in this draft all together. 

Better talent at the position available at the time. Unless there were medical concerns about Tyrell Crosby's foot etc than its unfathomable for me to see how anyone could value Okorafor over Crosby. Time will tell but my money is on Crosby making a lot of of people question what they were looking at...

The Jaylen Samuels pick was outstanding and I think you are short changing his ability somewhat. The value here made up for a lot of the bad.

Marcus Allen is a great downhill player, with a great team attitude. Thing is we need more cover guys than anything and he has not shown much ability to do so. 

Frazier, its hard to figure how a 5 star prospect gets so little playing time. All those guys there deal with the same thing. I hope he produces, at the least beat out McCullers, however he will get a battle from LSU's UFA Greg Gilmore. Oughtta be a heck of a competition. 

I give it a C to a C- ...The Okorafor pick was what killed it for me. I really hope Washington proves us wrong. I see a 3rd or 4th receiver at best at any point is his career that we took in the 2nd round with a some very good DB talent on the board. 

I disagree on your outlook for Okorafor, as this Draftbreakdown video from a year ago points out; he has all the necessary tools to be a franchise LT (and in our case, I think RT) if he can be coached up, and with Munchak in the fold, I have zero concern about his development. Would much rather have a guy with the tools who needs training, than a guy who's maxed out  'tool-wise'.  Size- (Height/Weight/Long arms/Big Hands)-Check, Footspeed--Check, Strong Hands--Check.  He was taken 92nd overall; I fail to see how that was a bad pick after Gilbert's antics last year.

And as far as Crosby, we, and 31 other teams passed on him yet again, as he wasn't selected until 153rd overall...so obviously, there was an issue there.

My only issues with this draft were the 'bookends'--the 1st and 7th Rd picks. The value just was not there with either pick...

After the Edmunds pick, I was waiting for Kiper to repeat what he stated 20-some-odd-years ago about the Jets, just replace 'Jets' with 'Steelers'

"It's obvious to me right now, that the Steeler's just don't understand what the draft is all about..."

But hey, they had their board, they stuck with it (right or wrong), and selected Edmunds; I just wish whoever was on their board one slot ahead of Edmunds wasn't selected by someone else, so we would've had an actual 1st Rd value pick...unless, of course, it was Rashaad Penny, because that would've been worse, I guess...

And Frazier?? There's a reason he didn't get on the field...or stay on it when he did get his opportunities; he's just not very good. Plus, he's 6'3" 321...he's not that great as a run specialist and offers ZERO in the way of pass rushing, sooo...

Archived