CW21's 2018 NFL Draft Review (Browns Up)

CWood21

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's a solid write-up. I think a grade of C is a little harsh. But if you're factoring in the limited amount of picks its definitely justified. I, personally, am not a huge fan of the Goedert pick. Admittedly, he fills a huge need due to Burton leaving via FA and Celek being release/retired. But, as eluded to, it was a great move to get the prospect we wanted while blocking the Cowboys. I think it's a bit of a stretch to basically draft a destined backup even if we run a lot of 2 TE sets, I just don't see the value being maxed out there. As for Maddox, I imagine he's slotted, well in the slot. And since we run mostly a nickel as our base defense, the assessment as he's our "worst value" is incorrect. He may project to be a starter in a position we value very highly. We almost brought back Patrick Robinson at a high pricetag which means the FO is readily willing to contribute assets here. Sweat has a huge upside as I understand and could end up being a steal. For a team that invests heavily into the rotation game, he can contribute almost immediately if he finds himself active on Sundays. There's some injury concerns but good value in the 4th. I agree the draft was bland but they accomplished their goals and picked up a 2019 second rounder which has to figure in there somewhere. I'd give it a B- mostly because of the lack of picks and being somewhat disappointed in the Goedert pick but I mostly agree with the assessment. As an outsider, that's a good job. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just going to let you know , if you tag @EaglesPeteC in a post, he  has a tendency to show up. May want to be careful with that :)

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Just going to let you know , if you tag @EaglesPeteC in a post, he  has a tendency to show up. May want to be careful with that :)

Wow @Forge that cut me deep on a personal level haha :D

But seriously, Howie has built that roster like a tank. I trust he's hitting on more of those  players than missing on them.  

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Wow @Forge that cut me deep on a personal level haha :D

But seriously, Howie has built that roster like a tank. I trust he's hitting on more of those  players than missing on them.  

I couldn't resist :D 

You know I got nothing but love for you. 

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

@Remixxxxxxx

Solid write up - I'm not as high on Goedert as most and I just didn't see TE as a big need. I also am not a fan of Maddox - he was definitely drafted to play in the slot and hopefully we get some return game value from him as well. I like Sweat a lot - he should fit in nicely as a rotational player on the defensive line sooner rather then later. I wasn't super educated on Pryor before the draft but everything I've read has me hopeful. If he can keep his weight in check, there's some potential for him to be a swing player and a nice value pick that late in the draft.

I think the C grade is right where I would grade them, too. 

11 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

darby, jones, mills, and douglas are all outside corners. get a clue. 

I say again, there is no such thing as too much depth at CB. Having multiple candidates often means that no one can do the job. Regardless, in two years, when this draft really matters, will all four still be available. I will hazard a NO.

J

2 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I say again, there is no such thing as too much depth at CB. Having multiple candidates often means that no one can do the job. Regardless, in two years, when this draft really matters, will all four still be available. I will hazard a NO.

J

uh darby and mills just led our team to a superbowl so yeah i think we're ok there. 

Avonte Maddox is terrible. I'd be willing to bet I've watched more Pittsburgh football than anyone on the forum despite not really even being a fan. I loved Peterman, Clemmings, O'Neill, Weah, Dorian Johnson, Quadree Henderson and Conner in the past.

I was lukewarm on E'Juan Price and Scott Orndoff.

I currently love their FB George Aston. He's a stud.

I was low on Tyrique Jarrett despite his massive frame. I was low on Jordan Whitehead.

I was extremely shocked that Avonte Maddox was selected. He's always in the WR's hip pocket, but could never make a freaking play on the ball. He's small and plays even smaller somehow. I can't imagine him being a big-time player for the Eagles and as someone they selected in the 4th round, that seemed like a major overdrafting to me.

10 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

uh darby and mills just led our team to a superbowl so yeah i think we're ok there. 

Darby and Mills didn't LEAD the Eagles to the Super Bowl. They started on a Super Bowl team. Big difference. They aren't bad players, but it's not like you couldn't upgrade those positions. By the way, I was not high on Sidney Jones even before the injury. His tape was pretty poopy. He's got a late reaction time and was caught in his backpedal too early so often. He plays high and has the frame of a child. I don't think he's the answer for you guys at CB if you were going to use him as a "well we have this guy" example.

The Eagles will be a great team again next year and into the future, but their CB group isn't amazeballs or anything.

Archived