Raiders & Texans Turn Over Scouting/Personnel Department

Broncofan

14 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't disagree with you. Who would you have gone if you were the Raiders? Fitz?

If you stayed at 10, I would have taken one of Minkah, Vita, or Payne. If you moved down to 15, I would have taken LVE.

37 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It sounds like Miller was the guy they wanted all along. From my vantage point, he was the wrong pick. But it's better to have the wrong pick at #15 + a 3rd and a 5th than just the wrong pick at #10.

I guess it depends on how things pan out.  Pick #10 yielded us Kolton Miller, Martavis Bryant, and a bargaining chip 5th rounder that turned into Hurst (I think? The amount of trades is dizzying).   Honestly its not a stretch to think Miller busts, Bryant gets suspended again and Hurst's heart can't hack it.  Conversely, I wouldn't think its a stretch for all 3 moves to turn out great either.  All in all, I don't like how risky the whole draft played out for my team.  Miller being the first big risk.....at a very important position. I think he ends up as Nate Solder 2.0.  If the other moves work out, I can look the other way but I'm more pessimistic about it.

Man you have high demands S&B...

If Miller turns out Nate Solder 2.0 AND the other moves work out you can look the other way?

My take is that if Miller turns into a 7 year starter at OT who signs the biggest OL contract after those years and our other picks like Bryant, Hurst, Key etc. work out as well we'd have a fantastic draft.

Anyway, as for the topic: I don't think many people are surprised with these moves. This is Grudens team, and McKenzie can have a future at the Raiders if he can play #2 in the philosophy & team needs as Gruden sees it. If he doesn't he'll be gone.

I actually think if Reggie would go he would get another shot at GM for a team. He got the Raiders out of cap hell, turned an awfull roster that hadn't won for 15 years into a 10-6 team and found a franchise QB and elite defender. His 2nd coaching hire is imo what caused the most troubles for his sake.

12 hours ago, Broncofan said:

1.  For HOU, they are removing pretty much all traces of Rick Smith's fingerprints on the team's FO.   Coach Bill O'Brien's power struggle win is complete

Jury is still out on O'Brien (he's got to do something other than 9-7 this season) but removing the Rick Smith influence is absolutely desired. Five years overdue, IMO.

Between FA additions and a pretty solid draft with limited resources, Brian Gaine is making a mark as a solid GM.

9 minutes ago, tom cody said:

The Raiders seemed to be on the verge of something big just a yr. or 2 ago. I think hiring Gruden as coach really will set them back a lot. 

Gruden could prove to be a problem but the issue they have at the moment is the last 3 draft classes not performing enough. They got 3 starters from the 15 and 16 classes and almost no contribution from the 17 class in their 1st year.

10 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't disagree with you. Who would you have gone if you were the Raiders? Fitz?

Fitz, Derwin, or Edmunds.

They need an infusion of top end talent on defense. I understand Penn is old and near the end, but IMO it is mistake to pass on high end defensive talent when they fall into your lap. 

44 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Fitz, Derwin, or Edmunds.

They need an infusion of top end talent on defense. I understand Penn is old and near the end, but IMO it is mistake to pass on high end defensive talent when they fall into your lap. 

Gruden's got a 10 year contract, he has the time to develop a long term project like Miller.  He's also an offense oriented coach, so I'm sure he wants to get the guys he wants on that side of the ball first.  

12 hours ago, Roninho said:

Man you have high demands S&B...

If Miller turns out Nate Solder 2.0 AND the other moves work out you can look the other way?

My take is that if Miller turns into a 7 year starter at OT who signs the biggest OL contract after those years and our other picks like Bryant, Hurst, Key etc. work out as well we'd have a fantastic draft.

Anyway, as for the topic: I don't think many people are surprised with these moves. This is Grudens team, and McKenzie can have a future at the Raiders if he can play #2 in the philosophy & team needs as Gruden sees it. If he doesn't he'll be gone.

I actually think if Reggie would go he would get another shot at GM for a team. He got the Raiders out of cap hell, turned an awfull roster that hadn't won for 15 years into a 10-6 team and found a franchise QB and elite defender. His 2nd coaching hire is imo what caused the most troubles for his sake.

Actually you're right. Based on that description that's high demands. I guess the sticking point is I really don't think any of those moves will work as well as the FO thinks or we hope

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Actually you're right. Based on that description that's high demands. I guess the sticking point is I really don't think any of those moves will work as well as the FO thinks or we hope

Yeah i can see that. Certainly some players available considered to be more talented/have more upside compared to Miller. I'm worried Miller turns out to be JAG which is bad business when you start with pick 10.

Archived