Overall Draft Grade

Madmike90

12 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Is that your highest grade, or did anybody do better? 

Honestly man I don't care what other teams did. I like Kylie Fitts a lot but he comes into Chicago with an injury history and that gives me pause for concern. If he hits then this class is an A for me, but the way it stands we went into the draft with a gaping hole at EDGE and we came out of it with a big question mark still remaining.

I'm glad he didn't draft for need, don't get me wrong, but still...

The only part of this draft I don’t like is the lack of a pass rusher. I like Fitts, but expecting big things immediately from any 6th round pick is a fool’s move. With that said, Roquan being able to be the LB in coverage should give Floyd far more pas rush opportunities. I think we will bring Willie Young back - it’s a short term move for sure but he wasn’t showing any slow down in terms of his pass rush when he suffered a non-leg injury from which he is now fully recovered. Between he, Floyd, Acho, Fitts and Lynch I suspect cumulatively they should be able to provide adequate if not spectacular pressure off the edge.

I can’t overstate it though the extent to which they will get more opportunities due to an improved offense. When we are able to get out to a lead we are going to be able to further negate opponents’ run game, make them one dimensional and allow our rushers to pin their perverbial ears back more regularly with the now vastly improved coverage at the underneath level with the addition of Smith. 

Pace has done an exceptional job this offseason putting the vast majority of the individual players on our team in a position to be successful. Mitch has night and day better receivers with actual depth and an offensive scheme in which he is a great fit. Howard is always going to be what he is as a receiver but will now be getting infinitely more opportunities to run against non-life’s boxes. Miller and White are going to be in a position where they aren’t looking at being relied upon for contributions far beyond what should be expected of them. Shaheen is getting an expanded role without having to be Kelce and should benefit greatly from the other receiver additions. Hicks should benefit greatly from Nichols who should at least be able to provide some reps to lighten the load. Floyd should see far more opportunities to get after the passer with Roquan in the mix. Our young secondary should get a boost from the continuity of Donatell and Fangio.

This isn’t me kissing Pace’s *** or an unrealistic view in thinking that all of these things will work out. They won’t. What it is is acknowledging that Pace had a big offseason ahead of him in January and seems to have crushed a good portion of it. For a GM to be successful he has to set his players and coaches up for success, and I think he’s done an outstanding job of that this offseason. Doesn’t mean it’ll work out, but that’s out of his hands. He’s done his part. 

“Special teams” isn’t a dirty word. If a draft pick offers no special teams value then there’s little reason to take him on day 3 unless it’s a total flier because he’ll never be active on gameday.

Terrell Davis was a special teamer at first...

Archived