Who had best draft?

dll2000

I'm only judging off first 3 rounds, because I don't know too many of other guys this year.

Comment alphabetically then I'll decide.

Cards - Got their QB without giving up a first rounder who would have predicted that?  Got a good WR in Kirk.  Still I don't love Rosen's personality.  I can see why that was a common criticism.  Guy has a hate vibe he gives off that makes you want to smash his face in.

Atl - Rich got richer with Ridley and Oliver.  Atl got best WR and a corner that was right there with best in draft.  Really, really good first two picks. 

Balt - Odds are Jackson will go same route as every guy like him as gone before.  He might get a good season or two, get tons of media hype, then he will get hurt and be yesterdays news.  Hayden Hurst is an above avg. TE.  Nothing amazing.  Orlando Brown I liked and people have made fun of me.  Watch him play for 8 yrs+ in NFL just like his dad did.   Mark Andrews, great guy and good player.  Good locker room guy.  Could play in league for years.  Nothing special though.  Kind of a blah draft.  Brown was my favorite pick.

Buf - Got physically best QB in draft.  Only question is can he process information and make good decisions.  Not a bad pick for Buffalo weather.  Buf needs a big strong armed QB.  They got my guy in Edmunds.  Phillips can play some.  Most importantly they didn't overly mortgage the future to get their guy.  Good draft IMO.

Car - DJ Moore was many good scouts top WR even above Ridley.  I didn't like him as much.  I would rather have Miller to be honest.  Dante Jackson has high potential.  Gaulden, Haynes and Thomas are more high potential projects.  Okay draft.  Not great.  Could turn out better if development is good.

Chi - Great draft.  2 first round talents in Smith and Daniels and a second round talent in one draft.  All 3 should start barring injury.  Smith is leading candidate for defensive rookie of year.   Candidate for best draft.

Cin - Nice deep draft.  Their first 5 picks have starting potential.  None of players except maybe Price are great players though.  Just guys.

Cle - Baker is a winner, but he's small.  Any and every hit could take him out and he is more quick than fast.  Someone will lay hands on him in a bad way at some point.  Oklahoma protected him better than any QB in college football and he was rarely touched.  (Cough Brown - that you all hated on).  He has good arm strength, but I don't know that he has wind and snow arm strength to play in Cleveland late in year.   Ward is a stud and best cover corner in draft, but he is small too.  Hopefully he holds up in NFL.  I have my doubts.  Corbett is good, but Hernandez and Daniels are both better kind of a head scratcher to me.  Chubb will be a good NFL RB I like that pick.   They picked bigger impact players last year.  Not really a wow draft for the slots they picked their guys in and the number of high picks they had.  

Dal - Leighton has freakish measurables.  He's compared to Urlacher a lot.  I just don't think this guy is that good.  I need to watch him more I guess.  I give this one an incomplete on my end.  Williams is a value pick.  Gallup is a value pick at WR.  Nice draft that filled needs with good players.    

Den - Chubb, Sutton, Freeman.    Chubb is a stud, but might look a little better than he is playing next to two studs in college football.  Teams couldn't plan to take him out of game like they could with say a Landry who didn't have any help up front.   Still a stud.  Sutton is a big, fast dude who many thought was best WR.  I don't think he is that great, but he is good.  Freeman can play.  Good draft.

GB - Got two of best CBs in draft to fill a need.  Good draft.  Rodgers gets no help though.

Hou - traded away their draft already.  Reid was great value for where he went.  Good draft.  

Indy - Got Nelson who help them a ton.  Other picks are just guys.  Okay draft.  Kind of wasted their big trade.

Jack - Taven makes that already super scary d line more scary.  Chark is a speed threat.  Harrison is another good Bama safety.   Nice draft.

KC - Grabbed some decent to good DL.  Not much of a draft available to them.

- Going faster now because gotta go -

LAC - Derwin James is a stud.  Other guys just guys.

LAR - No high picks

Mia - Fitz is a good player and the TE is real athletic.  Decent draft.

Min - Hughes is a pretty good corner.  Oneill struggled in senior bowl.  Blah.

NE - Wynn - Going to play him at tackle - everybody said he was a guard.  We'll see.  Sony Michel was other GA stud.  Dawson was good value.  Good draft. 

NO - traded up for Davenport.  Guy is a project with talent.  Coaching will tell with him.  I didn't like the move.  Bad draft.  

NYG - Should have took Darnold or Rosen or traded 2nd pick.  But landed some real good players in Barkley, Hernandez, Carter, and Hill.  Candidate for best draft.  

NYJ - Darnold and Shephard were good picks.  Nice draft though team will still stink.

Oak - Worst draft so far.  Disagree with everything they did.

Phil - Went and got another stud TE.  Nice draft.  May repeat.

Pit - Over drafted the S, but still a decent player with good blood lines.  WR is decent to good.  Rudolph has size, smarts and potential to play in league for a long time.  Not a bad draft IMO though most don't like it.

SF - Bad draft.  Disagree with everything they did.

Sea - Bad draft. Disagree with everything they did.

TB - Got some nice defensive players.  Vea is a human planet that can move.  Filled some other needs.   Nice draft.

Ten - Evans and Landry.  Real good draft.  Two guys that will impact that team.  

Wash - Payne and Guice.  Okay draft.  They filled two big needs and both are good players.  

I guess I have to say Giants had the best haul even though I disagree with their first move.

I'd say Atl and Chi were tied for second.  

Rashaad Penny will end up being better than a lot of detractors think--but still won't be as good as guys drafted after him, in all likelihood. Seattle's Oline is still terrible, as they hardly addressed it at all (one could make a compelling argument they didn't address it at all). The Seahawks had an epically bad draft, one for the ages.

Everyone hates the Oakland draft--it wasn't that bad.

As to the best--I still say Chubb was a misguided pick for the Broncos, but they made a lot of other good moves after that. Giants are about the same--bad first pick (should have traded it or picked Darnold), but did a lot of solid things after that. I love Vea, but don't know why the Bucs went there, as one of the secondary guys would have been a better pick. Disagree with OP about Atlanta's Ridley selection. 

The Bears are almost the best by default (even though their draft was great)...

17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Rashaad Penny will end up being better than a lot of detractors think--but still won't be as good as guys drafted after him, in all likelihood. Seattle's Oline is still terrible, as they hardly addressed it at all (one could make a compelling argument they didn't address it at all). The Seahawks had an epically bad draft, one for the ages.

Everyone hates the Oakland draft--it wasn't that bad.

As to the best--I still say Chubb was a misguided pick for the Broncos, but they made a lot of other good moves after that. Giants are about the same--bad first pick (should have traded it or picked Darnold), but did a lot of solid things after that. I love Vea, but don't know why the Bucs went there, as one of the secondary guys would have been a better pick. Disagree with OP about Atlanta's Ridley selection. 

The Bears are almost the best by default (even though their draft was great)...

The problem with the Rashaad Penny pick was that it was bad value where he was picked.

The Oakland draft is  a boom or bust draft. they took guys on potential  who never really performed in college or in the case of Key had his issues off the field.

At the end of the day though drafts are judged down the line. As it is a big step to the NFL level.

Just now, TB 1 said:

The problem with the Rashaad Penny pick was that it was bad value where he was picked.

The Oakland draft is  a boom or bust draft. they took guys on potential  who never really performed in college or in the case of Key had his issues off the field.

At the end of the day though drafts are judged down the line. As it is a big step to the NFL level.

As to the first bit there, I essentially agree with you. However, I've seen draftniks absolutely rip on Penny (he'll never be any good). 

Much of the Oakland hate swirls around Miller, who a lot of people seem to be whining was drafted 5-20 slots too high, to which I say...BFD. Throw in two guys with some question marks (Key and Hurst), and a punter in the fifth, and folks are losing their minds. Doesn't make much sense, to me, as the Raiders already had a pretty solid team. 

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Best Drafts:

• Bears
  • Bucs
  • Broncos
  • Chargers
  • Dolphins
  • Falcons
  • Giants
  • Packers
  • Patriots

Worst Drafts:

• 49ers
  • Raiders
  • Ravens
  • Saints
  • Seahawks

49ers? What? John Lynch is gods gift to earth, you didn't hear? He makes no mistakes!

34 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

49ers? What? John Lynch is gods gift to earth, you didn't hear? He makes no mistakes!

Didn't look as good this year as they did last year and last year doesn't look as good now with their first round LB committing multiple crimes in year one.  Guess the character talk at combine wasn't all smoke. 

Let's be honest too, they got lucky to get Garoppolo and for price they paid.  Wasn't some genius move.  Pats could have got a haul for him during draft time last year.   Belichick was pissed at being told what to do by his owner and practically gave him away.   

49ers say if he hit the woman Foster is being kicked off team.  But Lynch qualified it by saying if it is proved he hit her.  So whatever actually happened he will probably pay her off and get charges dropped for lack of witness or plead guilty to a reduced charge.  Either way he will serve at least a 6 game suspension from league.

41 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Top three for me would be Bears, Broncos then Giants...I think all three get better from day one as well as all having a ton of potential...

Sneaky good draft...Jags...they killed the mid rounds. 

Jags did well. Surprised it was so defensive-oriented...but a good draft. 

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I dunno. I thought the Ravens did fairly well, really...

Hayden Hurst in the 1st was a bad pick to me.

Also, I don't really believe that Lamar Jackson will be a good NFL QB but I may be in the minority on that one.

When you have two 1st round picks and they are that underwhelming then it's a bad draft IMO, but I could be totally wrong.

19 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Hayden Hurst in the 1st was a bad pick to me.

Also, I don't really believe that Lamar Jackson will be a good NFL QB but I may be in the minority on that one.

When you have two 1st round picks and they are that underwhelming then it's a bad draft IMO, but I could be totally wrong.

Hurst will probably be okay, I think. Maybe a reach where they got him though, you might be right about that.

Jackson...I don't know. I'm hopeful he'll be good, but not convinced. But I give Newsome props for trying, at least. 

(If that makes sense.) 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Jags did well. Surprised it was so defensive-oriented...but a good draft. 

I really wasn't...they understand who they are...run the ball...play crazy good D...only the 1st round pick surprised me...could have had Hernandez upfront.

Archived