Who had best draft?

dll2000

36 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

They did the same s*** a few years back with Rollins and Randall, and well, that didn’t work out well.

Meh, us drafting QBs in the first hasn't worked well so far, but that won't mean anything for Mitchell. Different players, I actually really liked both Jackson and Alexander, sucks to see GB got both of them.

52 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Meh, us drafting QBs in the first hasn't worked well so far, but that won't mean anything for Mitchell. Different players, I actually really liked both Jackson and Alexander, sucks to see GB got both of them.

My argument isn’t that rather they did it a few years back to no avail. Their issue is getting to the QB, and it doesn’t matter how many DB’s you have if they have to cover for 7-8 seconds.

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Actually kind of impressed they went DB twice in a row, I feel like that's something you"just don't do, everyone will look us"

Didn't seem like a bad draft to me. Frankly I'm chalking up the double DB to fear of Mitch!

Every Packers draft:

Round 1 - DB

Round 2 - DB

Round 3 - DL

Round 4 - DL

Round 5 - DB

Round 6 - RB

Round 7 - WR

Its hilarious seeing them work so hard to not surround Rodgers with talent.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

Every Packers draft:

Round 1 - DB

Round 2 - DB

Round 3 - DL

Round 4 - DL

Round 5 - DB

Round 6 - RB

Round 7 - WR

Its hilarious seeing them work so hard to not surround Rodgers with talent.

And I didn’t even mention this. Maybe the most talented QB ever and he gets bottom-of-the-barrell s*** weapons every year. It’s sad when signing over-the-hill TE’s & drafting WR’s in rounds 4 and 6 get Packers fans excited, but that’s what happened during FA & last weekend, respectively.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

And I didn’t even mention this. Maybe the most talented QB ever and he gets bottom-of-the-barrell s*** weapons every year. It’s sad when signing over-the-hill TE’s & drafting WR’s in rounds 4 and 6 get Packers fans excited, but that’s what happened during FA & last weekend, respectively.

They’ve invested plenty of high picks at skill positions over the years. When those guys hit you don’t have to keep spending high round picks there.

Jordy Nelson - 2nd round pick

Randall Cobb - 2nd round pick

Davante Adams - 2nd round pick 

Ty Montgomery - 3rd round pick 

Eddie Lacy - 2nd round pick 

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

They’ve invested plenty of high picks at skill positions over the years. When those guys hit you don’t have to keep spending high round picks there.

Jordy Nelson - 2nd round pick

Randall Cobb - 2nd round pick

Davante Adams - 2nd round pick 

Ty Montgomery - 3rd round pick 

Eddie Lacy - 2nd round pick 

Nelson was drafted 10 years ago and Cobb was drafted 7 years ago.

I'd hardly call Lacy and Montgomery as "hits."

12 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I said over the years. They’re supposed to invest top picks on WR every year while they have a locked in top 3? They also had Donald Driver putting up 1000 yard seasons until 2009 and Greg Jennings until 2011. WR has hardly been a deficiency on the Packers’ roster the past decade. If anything, outside of QB I’d argue it’s been the most consistently good personnel group they’ve had. Eddie Lacy’s first 2 years he went for a combined 2300 yards rushing and 20 TD. He fell out of favor (and shape) after that but it’s not like he was a total miss. 

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Lacy was a hit if you count him hitting that drive-thru for a McPick 2 three times per day.

10 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Lacy was a hit if you count him hitting that drive-thru for a McPick 2 three times per day.

Before the draft I remember him saying he was hoping to play in a warm weather city because of his asthma. At least it doesn't get too cold in Green Bay or anything.

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I said over the years. They’re supposed to invest top picks on WR every year while they have a locked in top 3? They also had Donald Driver putting up 1000 yard seasons until 2009 and Greg Jennings until 2011. WR has hardly been a deficiency on the Packers’ roster the past decade. If anything, outside of QB I’d argue it’s been the most consistently good personnel group they’ve had. Eddie Lacy’s first 2 years he went for a combined 2300 yards rushing and 20 TD. He fell out of favor (and shape) after that but it’s not like he was a total miss. 

How about finding him a real RB? Or a real TE? How about a proper offensive line?

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Before the draft I remember him saying he was hoping to play in a warm weather city because of his asthma. At least it doesn't get too cold in Green Bay or anything.

How about finding him a real RB? Or a real TE? How about a proper offensive line?

The last starting OL (off Ourlad depth chart for 2018) they drafted was in 2013:  David Bakhtiari

As for WRs, Adams was drafted in 2014 and Cobb in 2011.  I think they are good players, but they have been made to look better by Rogers.   

Montgomery and Lacy (aside from rookie year) have been mostly underwhelming at RB position.  Kinda sad since many teams seem to be able to find a good RB under any rock and last two RB classes seem to have been historically good and deep.  

Their drafted TE's have been misses for a long time.  They have had to fill position in FA over and over.  

2005-2009 was when they had their good drafts, collecting their big names and talent that ruled division many years.  Been mostly floundering and declining since then.

Like Brady, Rogers hasn't been given a lot of superior weapons.   Put Rogers or Brady on Falcons and we are probably looking at the runaway SB winner of last 3 years.  

Vikings have done well finding 1 or 2 studs every year in draft or UDFA to make up for their draft misses keeping their roster strong and have surpassed GB now. 

As far as division, I think Detroit and GB are pretty comparable teams right now, either could make a run to playoffs and can compete or win on any given Sunday with all but top teams.  Minn is clearly the class of the division still and Chicago is still likely worst team in division, but has brightest near future and has improved the most.

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The last starting OL (off Ourlad depth chart for 2018) they drafted was in 2013:  David Bakhtiari

As for WRs, Adams was drafted in 2014 and Cobb in 2011.  I think they are good players, but they have been made to look better by Rogers.   

Montgomery and Lacy (aside from rookie year) have been mostly underwhelming at RB position.  Kinda sad since many teams seem to be able to find a good RB under any rock and last two RB classes seem to have been historically good and deep.  

Their drafted TE's have been misses for a long time.  They have had to fill position in FA over and over.  

2005-2009 was when they had their good drafts, collecting their big names and talent that ruled division many years.  Been mostly floundering and declining since then.

Like Brady, Rogers hasn't been given a lot of superior weapons.   Put Rogers or Brady on Falcons and we are probably looking at the runaway SB winner of last 3 years.  

Vikings have done well finding 1 or 2 studs every year in draft or UDFA to make up for their draft misses keeping their roster strong and have surpassed GB now. 

As far as division, I think Detroit and GB are pretty comparable teams right now, either could make a run to playoffs and can compete or win on any given Sunday with all but top teams.  Minn is clearly the class of the division still and Chicago is still likely worst team in division, but has brightest near future and has improved the most.

With how average Detroit is on an annual basis, it's amazing how quickly everyone is to still say the Bears are the worst team in the division.

14 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Close, it wasn't food that was his vice. Lacy would leave practice and just go home and play video game while drinking a case of beer. literally every single day. That summer he worked out with the P90X guy and lost all that weight, he literally just stopped drinking

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

With how average Detroit is on an annual basis, it's amazing how quickly everyone is to still say the Bears are the worst team in the division.

You have to figure, at least as of right now on paper, with Stafford and a good defense they are still likely better than young Mitch in a new system and Robinson coming off an ACL.  I don't have a lot of faith that Mitch learned anything last year of use other than to take snaps under center so he is basically starting from scratch.  He is purportedly a fast learner and hard worker.  We will see how quick he gets it. 

I guess Detroit has a new coach too, but with a veteran QB its easier to adapt.   I think working in Detroit is probably depressing enough to be worth 3 - 5 pts. to opponents. 

Bears have same defensive staff and should be better than last year defensively and much, much better offensively.   I don't know how you could possibly be worse offensively.   There is reason for optimism.   

Everyone is beatable now with a good game.  I couldn't say that last year.   Hard to think you can win games when you aren't seriously trying to score points.   I think you might see a blow out or two against us, but that's what happens when you aren't being so risk averse.  

Schedule is easier this year too.   Should be interesting season.  

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Close, it wasn't food that was his vice. Lacy would leave practice and just go home and play video game while drinking a case of beer. literally every single day. That summer he worked out with the P90X guy and lost all that weight, he literally just stopped drinking

Is this real?

16 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Is this real?

yup. my buddy's dad has worked for the packers for 20+ years in a position very close to the players, so between the two of them i've heard some stories. Lacy is also dumber than a box of rocks

Archived