Tyron Smith v. Trent Williams

D82

Which OT do you take?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which OT do you take?

• Tyron Smith
    • Trent Williams

I think most people would agree that these two division rivals are neck and neck for being among the best in the league at their respective position. 

My question is - which one do you take, and why?

Homerism aside, I would have to take Tyron. He is three years younger at the age of 26 (won't turn 27 until December) and still in the prime of his career. It's not out of the question that he continues his dominant play for at least another 8-10 years, injury or some other factor aside. 

Well, with age factored in, probably Smith.  But I think Trent Williams is currently the best OT in the league.

Also, it looks like Smith is still dealing with lingering back issues.  That's not exactly a recipe to a long career.

EDIT:  I agree with Jon Ledyard's list... https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/top-5-ots-nfl-heading-2017-season/

Very hard call on this one if it's for a one-season run. Long-term, Smith's age makes it a bit easier to pick him. Even without the back injury, I think his dominant play would be more limited to 6-8 years (32 is around when most tackles begin to show signs of decline into merely "good" players). 

To make it easy to wrap my head around - one season, I'll go with Williams. Long-term, I'll go with Smith. 

On 8/10/2017 at 0:43 PM, IDOG_det said:

Tyron Smith is the best offensive lineman in football, so him

Smith is dealing with some back issues which can be tricky.

I wish neither were in the division though.

8 minutes ago, Gmen said:
On 8/10/2017 at 0:43 PM, IDOG_det said:

Tyron Smith is the best offensive lineman in football, so him

Smith is dealing with some back issues which can be tricky.

I wish neither were in the division though.

Still the best offensive lineman in the NFL. We'll see if it causes issues for him this year, but based on last year, he's the best.

Archived