UDFA jeffery wilson

Pandomonium

There's a lot to like here, and you can easily see why we are interested given all the outside zone. My main concern is that it came off the read/option so frequently, which naturally causes defenses to pause before attacking (especially at the college level). But he's got really good vision and I love that he ATTACKS those openings. He knows where he's gotta go.

I don't think it would be shocking if he wins the job behind McKinnon/Breida. We'll see how he does in the preseason. I'm always biased toward RBs, so this might mean little, but he's the UDFA I am most excited about. 

I saw him play live at Kinnick this past season and he was pretty darn good. I think he had 79 yards on a dozen carries and also a few catches against a pretty stout Iowa run defense. Depending on whether Joe Williams comes in motivated and focused, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson win a roster spot. If not, then he should get the PS spot over McNichols imo.

Looks like a shannahan kind of guy. 

I was surprised as heck that Wadley went undrafted. I've never seen Wilson play, but I have seen Wadley a few times. Against really high level competition he looked pretty darn good to me. I guess we'll see if either of them amounts to anything in the NFL.

If he wants to make the roster, he better cut down on fumbles. He fumbles every 33 carries in college, That will kill any shot right off the bat, as we saw with Williams.

That being said, pretty meh on him. Limited athletic upside. Nearly a 4.6 40, very short broad jump (9'2"), 35 in vert. All very meh. Last year, when we signed Breida, I was very excited because there were some fantastic / great athletic traits there (4.39, 11'02" broad, 42 vert), and it turns out, he cashed in on some of them and made the roster and made some nice contributions. 

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

If he wants to make the roster, he better cut down on fumbles. He fumbles every 33 carries in college, That will kill any shot right off the bat, as we saw with Williams.

That being said, pretty meh on him. Limited athletic upside. Nearly a 4.6 40, very short broad jump (9'2"), 35 in vert. All very meh. Last year, when we signed Breida, I was very excited because there were some fantastic / great athletic traits there (4.39, 11'02" broad, 42 vert), and it turns out, he cashed in on some of them and made the roster and made some nice contributions. 

The fumbles are definitely the big concern, but you can work on things like that. Not really concerned about the measurements. I think he was reported to have packed on 10-20 lbs and didn't lose his timed speed. That's a good sign. You can't teach vision.

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

when you say nearly a 4.6 do you mean 4.5 with alot of change or a very low 4.7?

Just now, Pandomonium said:

when you say nearly a 4.6 do you mean 4.5 with alot of change or a very low 4.7?

4.57 was his official time. The lack of explosive numbers in his broad and vert is  a bad combination with that time, so it's really more about that. Kamara only ran a 4.56, but he had nearly a 40 inch vert and over 11 foot broad. 

14 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

The 'lack of explosion' contributed to not getting drafted, I'm certain. I don't see much chance this guy will beat anyone out for a roster spot.

Each one of his numbers is just SLIGHTLY better than Frank Gore's at his Pro Day:

4.58 40, 9'1" broad jump, 34" vertical.

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=53949&draftyear=2005&genpos=RB

Again, you can't teach vision. The fumbles are the big concern.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, Pandomonium said:

meh thats not too bad... everyone can't be Saquon lol

Virtaully all pro day times arre a tenth or so quicker than the elctronically timed combine times. If he ran at the combine that would likley be close to a 4.7, and that would be pretty darn slow for a non-power RB. Gore ran at 4.58 at the combine. Were they still hand timing back then or had they already switched over to electronic? In any case Gore is almost beyond elite in his vision and ability to pick his way through a hole. He's one of the best ever at that. If Wilson can do that then he's got a future.

Archived