NFL Comparisons for 2018 Draft Class

Cadmus

Just a fun exercise. 

I attempted to match each player in terms of both physical attributes and play style to NFL pros. 

Jaire Alexander- Jonathan Joseph

Josh Jackson- AJ  Bouye

Oren Burks- Tahir Whitehead 

J'Mon Moore- DeAndre Hopkins (PM) (- Hands) 

Cole Madison- Derek Newton

Marquez Valdes-Scantling- Ricardo Louis

Equanimeous St. Brown- Tyrell Williams 

James Looney - Frostee Rucker 

Kendall Donnerson- Samson Ebukam

Not sure why I ended up with so many Texans, give me your takes. 

Jaire Alexander - Darrell Green

Josh Jackson - Night Train Lane

Oren Burks - Ray Nitschke

J'Mon Moore - James Lofton

Cole Madison - Anthony Munoz

JK Scott - Ray Guy

Marquez Valdes-Scantling -  Michael Irvin

Equinameous St. Brown - Andre Reed

James Looney - Reggie White

Kendall Donnerson - Lawrence Taylor

Gute only drafts Hall of Famers. Prove me wrong. 

No one else wants to offer up their NFL comparisons for our DPs?

I really wanted to see what others thought of these players. 

Can't believe this thread is completely dead. 

4 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Honestly?  This is a tough task/ask of most of us who’ve not seen much - if any - tape on a lot of our draft picks.  You and a few others are a rare breed of poster who have an a much greater level of wherewithal with respect to both college and pro personnel.  I’ve barely got time in life to do my job, raise my family, get an occasional golf game in, and read this forum from time-to-time.  

I do appreciate reading what others have to say on the aforementioned question.  Be interesting to see if any of these comparisons hold true in time.

5 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

I really only do comps when I'm watching a prospect and one just jumps out at me. I don't have comps for any of the day 3 guys other than ESB. I try and base mine on size, testing and play style.

I had "faster Vernon Hargreaves" for Jaire Alexander. Quick twitch, aggressive, gritty player who don't play to what their size says they should. Haven't followed Hargreaves in the league but the numbers aren't impressive, hopefully Jaire is better.

I didn't have a comp for Josh Jackson, never scouted someone like him. Don't like the Sherman/Norman comps. Josh is a better athlete. He's not going to be a man guy like Bouye, but that is his body type. Honestly his last year at Iowa he was Woodson here in coverage. He's no where near Woodson in run support but the guy has the ability to feel where his man is in coverage while keeping his eyes solely on the QB. Never got burned by it either, 0 catches of 30+ yards this season. That said Woodson was also a far superior athlete too, thus I have no comp.

EQ St Brown I had Javon Walker. Long cut, lanky looking players with deep ball skills, muscular build and just kind of a general flexible, smoothness to their game.

Jaire - Joe Haden

Josh Jackson - David Amerson

Oren Burks - Reshard Cliett

Jmon - AJ Green

Cole Madison - Sitton maybe it's just the hair..

Valdes-Scantling - Terrance Williams

Equanimious - I like the Tyrell Williams comp.

Just letting the first name come to mind while I watch.

On 4/29/2018 at 11:28 PM, SpeightTheVillain said:

Jaire Alexander - Darrell Green

Josh Jackson - Night Train Lane

Oren Burks - Ray Nitschke

J'Mon Moore - James Lofton

Cole Madison - Anthony Munoz

JK Scott - Ray Guy

Marquez Valdes-Scantling -  Michael Irvin

Equinameous St. Brown - Andre Reed

James Looney - Reggie White

Kendall Donnerson - Lawrence Taylor

Gute only drafts Hall of Famers. Prove me wrong. 

This ^^^^ 

Here is a different comparison. Listed below are the RAS (relative athletic score) of the Packers draftees. The maximum score is 10. All the individual details (and team comparisons) are not on the site yet, but you can scroll down the players with scores to find who the Packers picked     https://relativeathleticscores.com/

Kendall Donnerson                9.98
Equanimeous St.Brown        9.84
Joe Looney                             9.74
Oren Burks                              9.72
Jaire Alexander                      9.54
Josh Jackson                         9.27
Marquez Valdez-Scantling   9.25
J'Mon Moore                          8.43
Cole Madison                         4.59

I didn't look for the scores of LS Hunter Bradley or P J.K.Scott. The priority placed on athleticism (by the Packers) seems higher than ever - even moreso than last year, when the prospects they took rated as the third most athletic of all the teams, only below the Ravens and Bengals. The 2017 picks, in the order they were drafted scored: King  9.93, J.Jones 9.07, M.Adams 7.25, Biegel 8.03, J.Williams 3.11, Yancey 8.42, A.Jones 9.04, Amichia 9.71, Mays 7.09, Dupre 6.04. Although this years comparisons are not up yet, I'm guessing the Packers extraordinary emphasis on athleticism puts them at no.1 in the league, in highest athletic scores for draftees.

Just like last year they took one guy who was a low scorer. Then it was Jamaal Williams, this year it is Cole Madison.

Perhaps this should have a thread of its own. I'll leave it here for now, and see how it goes.

Archived