Report Card.

onejayhawk

This draft will not be well liked early. The first pick, Breeland Speaks, in particular raised some eyebrows. Many see him as a tweener with ordinary pass rush skills and no real position. Others say he is one of a small handful of potential 2-gap DE, with particular value to a 3-4 defense. So, comments are expected to be mixed.

.Here are a few. Post others, particularly if they have good commentary.

Kansas City Chiefs

SB Nation: D+
ESPN: C+
NFL: B
PFF: Below Average

The Chiefs needed to replace Marcus Peters, and they didn’t do it until Day 3 when they snagged Tremon Smith.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/4/29/17297152/2018-nfl-draft-grades-overall

J

Kansas City Chiefs: C

The Chiefs didn't have a first-round pick because they used to it to trade up last year to take quarterback Patrick Mahomes. I think they're OK with that decision. They did trade away a third-round pick to move up in the second round to take Breeland Speaks from Ole Miss. He played defensive tackle in college, but the Chiefs plan to stand him up as an edge rusher. That's risky. Third-round linebacker Dorian O'Daniel will help address a major need inside. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams-bears-bucs-ravens-panthers-get-top-marks/

The commentary is a bit clueless.

J

I think what I don't  love out about our draft is that the first good draft grade for a player came in round 4.  It doesn't mean those people are right, or we are right but man I hope our team proves us wrong.  Cause this draft didn't feel that good.

With that being said this years D will not be last years D.  A lot of tough decisions were made to change course.  I am hopeful.

AFC WEST

Kansas City Chiefs

No first-round pick, but their first two selections, LB Breeland Speaks and DT Derrick Nnadi, are talented enough to help the defense right away. They had six picks, and their first five were used to fortify their defense. Expect S Armani Watts to earn some playing time as a rookie.

Grade: B-minus

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/John-McClain-grades-2018-NFL-Draft-12873505.php#photo-15475966

J

8 minutes ago, valkrei said:

I think what I don't  love out about our draft is that the first good draft grade for a player came in round 4.  It doesn't mean those people are right, or we are right but man I hope our team proves us wrong.  Cause this draft didn't feel that good.

With that being said this years D will not be last years D.  A lot of tough decisions were made to change course.  I am hopeful.

I don't buy that for two reasons. First, taking scheme into account is fair. We clearly did that. Second, other teams with the same scheme can do the same. We did very well taking Chris Jones, who is scheme flexible. Not so well with some of the other players. If Speaks is a potential 2-gap DE, all the other 3-4 teams will know it. The days when the Steelers could mop up all the 3-4 niche players is long gone. To a lesser extent, the same goes not Nnadi. We have never had a 2-gap NT and don't give me Poe. He single gapped most of the time.

J

Kansas City Chiefs: B

Low on sex appeal, and that's fine. The buzz factor was burned up when this year's first rounder was used to snag QB Patrick Mahomes in 2017. But DL Chris Jones will surely appreciate quality reinforcements Breeland Speaks and Derrick Nnadi.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2018/04/28/nfl-draft-grades-teams-2018-giants-patriots-cowboys-jets/562265002/

J

Veach speaking on wanting to change the type of defense makes me feel better about Speaks.  

Still skeptical on the fit, just reminds me of a DeMarcus Walker/Mario Edwards as a prospect.   I hope we define his role early on so he can focus on his body.

I think we did well on the rest of the draft, will definitely be cheering for Speaks though.

12 hours ago, valkrei said:

Obviously, anyone that still grades last year as a D needs therapy. That said, other than Kareem Hunt, we do not yet have a lot to show from last year.

I fully expect the same from this class. Everyone knows that WR frequently take multiple years to make an impact. Two gap 5-tech DE is even harder to learn. Dontari Poe never did learn to play 2-gap NT. The star will probably be like last season--a 3rd round pick, in this case Darian o'Daniel.

On the side, that's one guy that cannot escape a nickname. With initials like Do'D, how can he not be the Department of Defense?

J

The Star liked the class.

Kansas City Chiefs: A

Based on my Twitter feed following the third round, I might be on an island with this grade, and that’s fine. I’ve been a tough grader, traditionally — I gave their 2015 class, which included two-time All-Pro Marcus Peters, a “C+” and their 2016 class (which included Chris Jones) a "C," for example — but I’ve watched every game this team has played for five years now, and after being around these guys that long, I see exactly what general manager Brett Veach is hoping to accomplish with this class.

Veach aggressively attacked the Chiefs’ biggest weakness, which was a defense that melted down in the wild-card loss to Tennessee and badly needed an injection of aggression, enthusiasm and beef. 

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article210063944.html

J

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Obviously, anyone that still grades last year as a D needs therapy. That said, other than Kareem Hunt, we do not yet have a lot to show from last year.

I fully expect the same from this class. Everyone knows that WR frequently take multiple years to make an impact. Two gap 5-tech DE is even harder to learn. Dontari Poe never did learn to play 2-gap NT. The star will probably be like last season--a 3rd round pick, in this case Darian o'Daniel.

On the side, that's one guy that cannot escape a nickname. With initials like Do'D, how can he not be the Department of Defense?

J

I don't need therapy because our D last year was trash.  Thanks

5 hours ago, valkrei said:

I don't need therapy because our D last year was trash.  Thanks

I had come to that conclusion already. I was glad to note you are giving this year's class a bit of slack.

BTW Some of the grades include Mahomes as the round one pick. Given what Buffalo paid, we got off cheap.

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

I had come to that conclusion already. I was glad to note you are giving this year's class a bit of slack.

BTW Some of the grades include Mahomes as the round one pick. Given what Buffalo paid, we got off cheap.

J

Your definately right about that.... We have to consider PM2 was part of this years draft which that by itself would make the Draft an A.

Archived