Your 53 man roster predictions

LoganF89

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If people were just concerned that would be one thing,

What am I, chopped liver? I have been pounding the table that this is a major problem. I have pointed out options that the Redskins could have chosen, but they apparently never did. I pointed to the draft as having a couple of options but that given their position, that it wasn't going to be likely because of the teams ahead of them. Even during the draft, I asked what the plan was. Other than some random rumors of moving Nsekhe inside, there didn't seem to be a plan.

but most Redskins fans are either bullish or extremely pessimistic. There’s little grey area in most Skins fans. It’s why I’m constantly getting hit from all sides. There’s the 75% of this forum which is negative no matter what, then there’s the 20% that is way to optimistic and I’m sitting here in the middle.

Umm ... hate to tell you this, but you're not in the middle.

Also, while I appreciate you and others who are optimistic about the team's direction, I just don't see where it comes from (beyond irrational hope). Still, I appreciate it since it's better than wallowing in the darkness.

Why in the world does it matter that you’re 4th wr is anything more than a special teams guy? It doesn’t.

1. This seemingly came out of left field.
  2. The 4th WR could see some playing time when the team goes four wide (not common, but does happen).
  3. The 4th WR is one injury away from being a major contributor on offense.

QB: Alex Smith / Colt McCoy

RB: Derrius Guice / Samaje Perine / Robert Kelley

3DRB: Chris Thompson

WR (X): Josh Doctson / Maurice Harris

WR (Z): Paul Richardson / Jeremy Maclin / Trey Quinn

WR (Slot): Jamison Crowder / Jeremy Maclin / Trey Quinn

TE: Jordan Reed / Vernon Davis / Jeremy Sprinkle

LT: Trent Williams / Ty Nsekhe / Geron Christian

LG: Joshua Garnett / Ty Nsekhe / Sean Welsh

C: Chase Roullier / Tony Bergstrom

RG: Brandon Scherff / Tony Bergstrom / Sean Welsh 

RT: Morgan Moses / Ty Nsekhe / Geron Christian

RDE: Jonathan Allen / Anthony Lanier

NT: Da’Ron Payne / Tim Settle / Phil Taylor

LDE: Matt Ioannidis / Stacy McGee

OLB: Ryan Kerrigan / Ryan Anderson

ILB: Mason Foster / Martrell Spaight

ILB: Zack Brown / Shaun Dion Hamilton / Josh Harvey-Clemons

OLB: Preston Smith / Pernell McPhee

CB: Josh Norman / Robert McClain / Joshua Holsey

FS: Montae Nicholson / Troy Apke

SS: D.J. Swearinger / Deshazor Everett

CB (slot): Orlando Scandrick / Fabian Moreau

CB: Fabian Moreau / Quinton Dunbar / Orlando Scandrick

P: Tress Way

K: Dustin Hopkins

LS: Nick Sundberg

Practice Squad

QB Kevin Hogan

WR Robert Davis

WR Simmie Cobbs

OL Timon Parris

CB Greg Stroman

S Quin Blanding

TE from outside the organization

Raw pass rusher from outside the organization

Moves Left to Make:

▪️ Trade 2019 4th round pick to San Francisco for OG Joshua Garnett

▪️ Sign WR Jeremy Maclin (1/$3.5M)

▪️ Sign CB Robert McClain (1/$2.2M)

Roster Breakdown

QB: 2

RB: 4

WR: 6

TE: 3

OL: 9

OFFENSE: 24

DL: 7

LB: 9

CB: 6

S: 4

DEFENSE: 26

SPECIAL TEAMS: 3

@Woz I don’t appreciate anyone telling me what I am or am not. I’m not as pessimistic as the posse in here but I’m certainly not and never am predicting the Redskins win the super bowl every year or some crap like that.

A concern is a lot different than what most in this forum act like. I’m concerned but feel that there’s possible answers. 99% of the forum is concerned and thinks the team is doomed because Cousins isn’t the starting qb anymore and what... we don’t have anyone capable at playing at least at a Lauvao level at LG for 1/4 the cost or 1/10 the cost? 

Also, since when does this forum love any of the players we lost? Any of them? Period!  

I just don’t get it. The bandwagon’s thing in 2016 & the 2017 offseason was Breeland has taken a step back and we need to move on from him - which we have, we drafted a corner to replace him. In 2016 & 2017 offseason the bandwagon position was that Kendall Fuller was a bust. In 2016 & 2017 offseason the bandwagon position was that Grant was trash and shouldn’t be on the roster. The bandwagon position for Trent Murphy from 2014 through half way through the 2016 season was that he was a bust and that he should’ve been cut before 2016 and the only reason he had a good 2016 was PEDs. 

Oh and Galette, the bandwagon position was that he did nothing and got no pressures; obviously just looking at the stat sheet and not reviewing the film/All-22.

Am I missing anything?

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

QB: Alex Smith / Colt McCoy

RB: Derrius Guice / Samaje Perine / Robert Kelley

3DRB: Chris Thompson

WR (X): Josh Doctson / Maurice Harris

WR (Z): Paul Richardson / Jeremy Maclin / Trey Quinn

WR (Slot): Jamison Crowder / Jeremy Maclin / Trey Quinn

TE: Jordan Reed / Vernon Davis / Jeremy Sprinkle

LT: Trent Williams / Ty Nsekhe / Geron Christian

LG: Joshua Garnett / Ty Nsekhe / Sean Welsh

C: Chase Roullier / Tony Bergstrom

RG: Brandon Scherff / Tony Bergstrom / Sean Welsh 

RT: Morgan Moses / Ty Nsekhe / Geron Christian

RDE: Jonathan Allen / Anthony Lanier

NT: Da’Ron Payne / Tim Settle / Phil Taylor

LDE: Matt Ioannidis / Stacy McGee

OLB: Ryan Kerrigan / Ryan Anderson

ILB: Mason Foster / Martrell Spaight

ILB: Zack Brown / Shaun Dion Hamilton / Josh Harvey-Clemons

OLB: Preston Smith / Pernell McPhee

CB: Josh Norman / Robert McClain / Joshua Holsey

FS: Montae Nicholson / Troy Apke

SS: D.J. Swearinger / Deshazor Everett

CB (slot): Orlando Scandrick / Fabian Moreau

CB: Fabian Moreau / Quinton Dunbar / Orlando Scandrick

P: Tress Way

K: Dustin Hopkins

LS: Nick Sundberg

Practice Squad

QB Kevin Hogan

WR Robert Davis

WR Simmie Cobbs

OL Timon Parris

CB Greg Stroman

S Quin Blanding

TE from outside the organization

Raw pass rusher from outside the organization

Moves Left to Make:

▪️ Trade 2019 4th round pick to San Francisco for OG Joshua Garnett

▪️ Sign WR Jeremy Maclin (1/$3.5M)

▪️ Sign CB Robert McClain (1/$2.2M)

Roster Breakdown

QB: 2

RB: 4

WR: 6

TE: 3

OL: 9

OFFENSE: 24

DL: 7

LB: 9

CB: 6

S: 4

DEFENSE: 26

SPECIAL TEAMS: 3

I doubt we trade another pick for a player and I doubt we sign Maclin. Why do we need a #4 WR who doesn’t contribute on special teams anymore?

I hope we just roll with the youth we have. No has beens. If we need a vet during the season at some point then go ahead and sign them but I don’t understand the point in throwing $5.5 million at a #4 CB & WR.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I doubt we trade another pick for a player and I doubt we sign Maclin. Why do we need a #4 WR who doesn’t contribute on special teams anymore?

I hope we just roll with the youth we have. No has beens. If we need a vet during the season at some point then go ahead and sign them but I don’t understand the point in throwing $5.5 million at a #4 CB & WR.

Beyond the top 3 WRs, you have Brian Quick and then a former UDFA with 12 career catches in Harris, a former 6th round combine freak project with 0 career catches in Davis, and the reigning Mr. Irrelevant with one good college season to his name. 

That would be your depth behind three top WRs who are not exactly shining examples of durability. Doctson and Richardson have combined to miss two entire seasons (of the six seasons they’ve been in the league) and both seem to be pretty frequently dinged up even when they do play. Crowder has frequent hamstring issues that frankly we’ve been lucky have mostly only cropped up in preseason so far. As noted earlier in this thread, it may well be necessary with these starters to have your #4 and #5 guys ready to step in and play for extended periods. Much like our #4 (and our #5 and #6, who combined for over 150 snaps) had to do last season. 

Moreover, the oldest and most experienced WR on our roster is Brian Quick (28; 5 years experience), who very well may get cut. Given that we’re hoping to develop all these young WRs, I think we would benefit from the presence of a proven veteran who commands respect and can help show them the ropes. Plus, none of our WRs has ever played a single snap with Alex Smith. Maclin has caught more passes from Alex Smith than Quick, Harris, Davis, and Quinn have caught combined, in their entire careers. I think when you’re trying to work in a new QB, it helps to give him some safety blankets. And while I’m on the subject, Quick/Davis/Harris are bad fits with Alex Smith, as poor route runners who lack the suddenness to separate quickly. They’re big and physical, but that doesn’t really help out this particular QB. How many receivers like that has he ever been successful with?

I wouldn’t go out and sign just any veteran WR. I would sign Maclin specifically, because I’m not comfortable with Brian Quick being the first man up in case of injury (or Trey Quinn, if the injury is to Crowder) and because of what he can offer for our QB and our young WRs. What’s the downside? If the goal is to compete in this window with Smith, why would go into the season with nothing but a prayer for good health separating us from a legitimate black hole behind our 3 starters?

As for McClain, it’s pretty much the same thing. We can put all our faith in both Moreau and Dunbar being ready and healthy. But why? So that we can keep a likely very unready guy like Greg Stroman on the active roster (instead of the PS) in place of a guy who we know can play decent football in the NFL? Not as dead set on this one, though. 

Finally, why would we not trade a pick for a guy who could step in and start at LG? We’re currently projected to have at least 11 picks in next year’s draft — barring a disaster of Chernobylesque proportions, there isn't going to be room on the roster for an influx of 11 new players. Not nearly enough room. So why not turn some of the surplus (future value) assets that we’ll have in the 2019 draft into immediate value that will help us win games this upcoming season? 

LG is a mess waiting to happen. Again, we’re relying on hopes and prayers and not much else there. Not even as depth — there’s likely no legitimate starter there. Why take the risk on a couple of longshot bets when your whole team will be held back if those bets fail? When you could make a small investment in a much safer/more reliable option? It doesn’t have to be Garnett, the 49ers have 4 guards who are all better than anyone we have (not named Scherff). It would be foolish not to capitalize on their logjam. 

I wasn't too sure where to post this,but AJ Francis is a joke, good luck making the Giants 53 man roster,idiot!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23392925/new-york-giants-dt-aj-francis-says-washington-redskins-logo-racist

"When the team you were on didn't appreciate you but the team you played against actually pays attention to the film," and added in the hashtags he was looking forward to playing the Redskins twice next season.

He then added, "#AndYourLogoIsRacist."

You have to think they are watching the waiver wire for OGs.I do not believe that we roll into the season with Nsehke as starting LG and Kalis,Kouandjio or Catilina as the backup.Add me to the list of guys that wishes we had taken a OG with the Apke pick.I think with Smithson and Blanding we have enough at safety.We need a guard though or a whole lot of luck in the health department next season unlike last year.

20 hours ago, e16bball said:

LG is a mess waiting to happen. Again, we’re relying on hopes and prayers and not much else there. Not even as depth — there’s likely no legitimate starter there. Why take the risk on a couple of longshot bets when your whole team will be held back if those bets fail? When you could make a small investment in a much safer/more reliable option? It doesn’t have to be Garnett, the 49ers have 4 guards who are all better than anyone we have (not named Scherff). It would be foolish not to capitalize on their logjam. 

Doubt Kyle want anything to do with a trade with this team. 

On 5/2/2018 at 10:56 PM, e16bball said:

Beyond the top 3 WRs, you have Brian Quick and then a former UDFA with 12 career catches in Harris, a former 6th round combine freak project with 0 career catches in Davis, and the reigning Mr. Irrelevant with one good college season to his name. 

That would be your depth behind three top WRs who are not exactly shining examples of durability. Doctson and Richardson have combined to miss two entire seasons (of the six seasons they’ve been in the league) and both seem to be pretty frequently dinged up even when they do play. Crowder has frequent hamstring issues that frankly we’ve been lucky have mostly only cropped up in preseason so far. As noted earlier in this thread, it may well be necessary with these starters to have your #4 and #5 guys ready to step in and play for extended periods. Much like our #4 (and our #5 and #6, who combined for over 150 snaps) had to do last season. 

Moreover, the oldest and most experienced WR on our roster is Brian Quick (28; 5 years experience), who very well may get cut. Given that we’re hoping to develop all these young WRs, I think we would benefit from the presence of a proven veteran who commands respect and can help show them the ropes. Plus, none of our WRs has ever played a single snap with Alex Smith. Maclin has caught more passes from Alex Smith than Quick, Harris, Davis, and Quinn have caught combined, in their entire careers. I think when you’re trying to work in a new QB, it helps to give him some safety blankets. And while I’m on the subject, Quick/Davis/Harris are bad fits with Alex Smith, as poor route runners who lack the suddenness to separate quickly. They’re big and physical, but that doesn’t really help out this particular QB. How many receivers like that has he ever been successful with?

I wouldn’t go out and sign just any veteran WR. I would sign Maclin specifically, because I’m not comfortable with Brian Quick being the first man up in case of injury (or Trey Quinn, if the injury is to Crowder) and because of what he can offer for our QB and our young WRs. What’s the downside? If the goal is to compete in this window with Smith, why would go into the season with nothing but a prayer for good health separating us from a legitimate black hole behind our 3 starters?

As for McClain, it’s pretty much the same thing. We can put all our faith in both Moreau and Dunbar being ready and healthy. But why? So that we can keep a likely very unready guy like Greg Stroman on the active roster (instead of the PS) in place of a guy who we know can play decent football in the NFL? Not as dead set on this one, though. 

Finally, why would we not trade a pick for a guy who could step in and start at LG? We’re currently projected to have at least 11 picks in next year’s draft — barring a disaster of Chernobylesque proportions, there isn't going to be room on the roster for an influx of 11 new players. Not nearly enough room. So why not turn some of the surplus (future value) assets that we’ll have in the 2019 draft into immediate value that will help us win games this upcoming season? 

1. The WRs that Smith has had success throwing to who are bigger and didn’t spearate well are MiChael Crabtree and Dwayne Bowe.  

I get the concerns, but why do we believe that Maclin and McCain are going to stay healthy?

Maclin has been a disaster since after his first year in KC. His production the last two years equates to Ryan Grant only Maclin was paid like a #1. And, unlike Grant, Maclin doesn’t play special teams except as a young wr he used to be a return man but would he go back to that?

I get the impression Maclin thinks he’s better than he currently is and may create problems in the lockeroom because he won’t start over Doctson, Crowder or Richardson.

We signed Scandrick to be what McCain would be for us.

We’re not winning the super bowl his year. No need in loading up on overpaid vets when the young guys we have need reps to develop for the future of this football team and in hopes that in coming years we may be a contender thanks to the development and playing time they hopefully get this season.

Lastly, why are we afraid of youth? IMO the thing I find most exciting in sports short of winning a championship is to see the young guys - particularly late round picks and UDFAs - show us something and make some plays. That makes me excited for the future, instead of wondering if some has been can hold on for one more season to be average. 

I go back to 1999, 2005, 2012 & 2015. The most exciting things in those seasons were our young rookies and players who were 25 and under that made huge contributions in those seasons. It certainly wasn’t the 30 years olds that made people excited.

In 99, it was more Champ Bailey than Darrell Green that got me excited. It was more Jon Jansen then who ever was playing LT - was if Heck?  It was Westbrook - who finally had a good season - Albert Connell, Stephen Alexander and Stephen Davis that thrilled me, not the old guys on the team.

Same can be said of 2005. Definitely Sean Taylor, Moss, Portis, Samuels, Cooley, Arrington, Marcus Washington, Rogers, Ryan Clark and not Mark Brunell and guys like Renaldo Wynn and a Phillip Daniels.

2012 was obviously RG3 & Morris but beyond them other young players stepped up like Kerrigan, Garçon etc.

2015 was obviously Cousins but beyond him it was Reed, Brandon Scherff, Breeland, Baker, Kyshoen Jarrett, Chris Thompson, and Preston Smith came on the second half of the year and had a huge play against the packers and Rodgers with the strip sack and safety in the playoff game.

Lets give these young guys a chance first. If it comes to late September or October and they haven’t shown much and we have winning record despite that then let’s look to sign a street free agent vet like we did with Blackmon and Mason Foster in 2015.

That would be my course of action.

On 5/2/2018 at 10:56 PM, e16bball said:

Huh.

Yesterday afternoon, when I saw the Patriots declined three separate 5th year offers, I thought to myself "Self, that's a great way to help with your compensatory pump: buy other team's first round picks (preferably before entering their third year) on the cheap when it looks like they are going to discard them. At the minimum, you get a player on a cost-controlled basis for two years, with a possibility of a third if you want to pick up the option."

So, I went looking at the 2016 1st round. Discarded anyone who made the Pro Bowl (not going to be willing to trade them) -> down to 24. Discarded anyone who had started the majority of their first two years (25+ games) as the team valued them even if they didn't make the Pro Bowl. -> down to 16. Discarded anyone whose starts in year was greater than year one (they grew into the role, which means they have more value to their team), but only if they started the majority of their 2nd year -> down to 10. Discarded anyone whose second year was cut short by injury but had a lot of playing time in year one (bad luck for the team, likely won't give up on player) -> down to 7.

Ended up with

• CB Eli Apple
  • WR Corey Coleman
  • WR Will Fuller
  • WR Laquon Treadwell
  • DT Rober Nkemdiche
  • DT Vernon Butler

and Joshua Garnett, guard from San Francisco.

Only Garnett would fit on the team (Washington suddenly finds themselves with a plethora of defensive linemen; while the WR corps is uncertain, I'm not sure any of the "available" candidates would help all that much; and the Giants are very unlikely to trade inside the division, especially not for top talent).

I didn't see your original post, @e16bball. Just came to the same place you did independently. A 4th round pick might be a bit higher than I would like to see the Redskins spend, but I think there's a lot of merit in the idea. I've made a mental note to track what happens in San Fran's training camp with regards to the guards.

@e16bball was right about Orlando Franklin. The Redskins cut him, there must be something wrong with him physically because he hasn’t been the same player the last 3 years that he was in Denv or his first year in SD. Perhaps Manning’s Quick decisions made him look bette4 than what he was even in Denv.

To me, this is a good sign for Nsekhe and the youngsters though. Perhaps they like what they have in Welsh as a player they can develop, or they have their eye on someone they feel will be cut soon like one of the SF OGs. 

I personally wish they’d sign Alex Boone.

Archived