Post Draft Roster : Current Thoughts?

animaltested

Quarterback: Russell Wilson

AND

A. Davis - A. McGough

Runningback: Rasheed Penny - Chris Carson (+)

AND

M.Davis - CJ Prosise - JD McKissic - Tre Maddon - J. Fowler

Wide-Reciever: Doug Baldwin - Tyler Lockett

AND

A. Darboh - D. Moore - J. Brown - M. Johnson -C. Greyson - T. McEvoy

Tightend: Ed Dickson

AND

N. Vannett - W. Dissly - T. Swoopes

Offensive Line: Duane Brown - Ethan Pocic - Justin Britt - DJ Fluker

AND

G. Ifedi - R. Odhiambo - G. Fant (+) - I. Battle - J. Jones - J. Hunt - W Beavers - J Roos

Defensive Ends: Frank Clark - Dion Jordan

AND

M. Smith - R. Green - B. Jackson - J. Martin- N. Nwachukwu

Defensive Tackles: Nazair Jones - Jarran Reed

AND

T. Johnson - S. Stephens -  Q. Jefferson - M. McDowell (XX)

Linebackers: KJ Wright - Bobby Wagner - Barkevious Mingo

AND

D. Alexander - S. Griffin -  P. Dawson

Defensive Backs - Shaquille Griffin - Byron Maxwell - Justin Coleman

AND

D. Johnson - A. King - N. Thorpe - M. Tyson - T. Flowers

Safety - Earl Thomas - B. McDougald

AND

T. Thompson - D. Hill - M. Alexander - A. Carter - K. Chancellor (++)

Kicker: Seb Janokowski - Jason Myers

Punter: John Ryan - Michael Dickson

UDFA

Emmanuel Beal, LB, Oklahoma
Tanner Carew, LS, Oregon
Poona Ford, DT, Texas
John Franklin III, FAU
Marcell Frazier, DE, Missouri
Jason Hall, S, Texas
Albert Havili, Eastern Washington, DL
Chris Hawkins, S, USC
Brad Lundblade, C, Oklahoma State
Marcus Martin, FB, Slippery Rock
Jake Ohnesorge, C, South Dakota State
Skyler Phillips, OL, Idaho State
Jacob Pugh, LB, Florida State
Caleb Scott, WR, Vanderbilt
Viane Talamaivao, OL, USC
Ka’Raun White, WR, WVU
Taj Williams, WR, TCU
Troy Williams, QB, Utah
Eddy Wilson, DT, Purdue

QB: Russell Gonna Russell. Beyond that, you know what you are gonna get with Austin and Morris. McGough could be kinda cool to watch in PS.

RB: I come around on the Penny pick. I think Carson and Penny complement them themselves well. This is CJ's last chance. Guessing him and JD will battle out for the last spot. Not sure how Davis can make the squad barring an injury. 

WR: Thin, but talented. Brown- Darboh - Johson - Moore battle for the 3rd spot should be interesting. 

TE: Vannett needs to take the next step. 

OL: The top four is pretty much set, the RT battle will be fiercely competitive. I have no stock invested in Fant, but hopefully he can overcome. Ifedi and Hambone are entering their 3rd year, so maybe things click for them in the new scheme. Heard great thngs about Skylar Phillips. Might have a chance to make the team?

DE: Green really helps solidify the depth. Barring injury, they can go four deep at LEO. And ya never know about Avril. M. Smith might be the odd man out.

DT: Gonna be a interesting scramble to replace Bennett. Shame about McDowell, this would his year had he not gone and blown it. 

LB: Solid group. Griffin really helps fill out the depth. Mingo will be interesting, hopefully he can be Irvin 2.0.

CB: All depends on Maxwell. Can he replicate last year? If not, who steps up? Im gonna keep my eye on Mike Tyson. Not sure why, but I am. Gonna be interesting to see if Flowers can make the transition. 

S: Not counting on Kam, luckily McDougald was brought back. I really like Hill alot. Has flash's of mini-BamBam.  I want to see him get more PT this PS.

K: Hopefully Sebass solidfies this position. I miss Hous$$$

P: Dickson needs to win this job. Could end up saving the Hawks 4 million of the next two years. 

Concentrating on the post-draft and  UDFA signings - I was disappointed we took Penny in the 1st - but having thought about it more, I think we did all we could to get him where we did.  We didn't have much bargaining power re. draft picks to go much lower.  Is he going to be another Lynch or another Michael?  Who knows - but I like the pick - as so does at least one analyst at USA Today.

Griffin - like that pick a lot!  Think he'll fit in well at Will or an in-the-box SS.

If Dickson doesn't get the P job I'll be amazed - first one off the board.  Not seen any of him on film but if a punter can win a MVP - wow!

I'm seeing Green as a Bennett's heir-apparent in 2/3 years time.

A few of the UDFAs to comment on - Ford, Frazier & Phillips especially might make the 53.

Looking at it as a whole, the roster isn’t as bad as I anticipated. But considering this year’s FA class and draft class/player availability, the roster isn’t as pretty/talented as it could’ve been.

We’ll see. I like the depth at RB. All we need are two offensive lineman to develop. Just two. 

Brown-Ifedi-Britt-Fluker-Fant/Jones

Is what I’d like to see. Ifedi can be masked by our two best OL. I like Jamarco Jones and Fant is a JAG but with Russ, I guess that’s all we really need.

Our WRs scare me. TEs are whatever. Just send Dissly in to block.

Our DL depth is fine. So pumped for Green. He and Clark are the new Avril and Bennett.

LBs are above-average. Step below great. 

Our secondary scares me but we don’t need spectacular play from every one of them. 

I say we end up a wildcard playoff team, at best. Another 8-8/9-7 year, at worst. I don’t see this team going below .500 but I don’t see it doing much better.

5 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

Agreed, post draft, WR is definitely the weakest position. Baldwin is the man, but Lockett has been a huge tease since he came in. If he gets hurt, or flounders in the bigger role, things look pretty awful. Darboh was drafted to be a factor at the WR position but is a a complete mystery at this point. Jarron Brown was brought in for those 50/50 balls, Moore and Johnson are lottery picks. 

On 5/4/2018 at 4:47 PM, One Punch Man said:

Looking at it as a whole, the roster isn’t as bad as I anticipated. But considering this year’s FA class and draft class/player availability, the roster isn’t as pretty/talented as it could’ve been.

We’ll see. I like the depth at RB. All we need are two offensive lineman to develop. Just two. 

Brown-Ifedi-Britt-Fluker-Fant/Jones

Is what I’d like to see. Ifedi can be masked by our two best OL. I like Jamarco Jones and Fant is a JAG but with Russ, I guess that’s all we really need.

Our DL depth is fine. So pumped for Green. He and Clark are the new Avril and Bennett.

LBs are above-average. Step below great. 

Our secondary scares me but we don’t need spectacular play from every one of them. 

I say we end up a wildcard playoff team, at best. Another 8-8/9-7 year, at worst. I don’t see this team going below .500 but I don’t see it doing much better.

I agree with your assessment.  

are there any players that can pass rush left out there ...somewhere?, that we can get.

can quem-Grif do it? everywhere I read says he's fast

I don't want to give Jimmy all day to throw

On 5/8/2018 at 6:12 AM, Ryan_W said:

are there any players that can pass rush left out there ...somewhere?, that we can get.

can quem-Grif do it? everywhere I read says he's fast

I don't want to give Jimmy all day to throw

Griffin is extremely fast for a linebacker.  Not sure he can pass rush super effectively at this level without a second hand.  I'm sure he could do it from time to time and beat blockers with pure speed, spin moves, etc.

On 5/11/2018 at 11:01 PM, showtime said:

Griffin is extremely fast for a linebacker.  Not sure he can pass rush super effectively at this level without a second hand.  I'm sure he could do it from time to time and beat blockers with pure speed, spin moves, etc.

I think the staff is relying on Dion  and Marcus Smith to pick up the slack. They had 6.5 sacks combined last year in medium to light roles. Add R. Green into the mix and you should be able to replicate the pass rush numbers lost (MB, Avril). I think Naz Jones in year two might take a huge leap forward and bring more pressure from the middle, as long as Jarran Reed brings his A game (in year 3). I figure we will see alot of more blitzes from the LB's and Secondary as well to mask the weaker coverage the team will have down Sherm, Kam etc. Especially if Maxwell and Griffin struggle on the outside.

I dont have big expectations for Shaqeem in year one, as Seattle barely use 3 LB packages, and he wont be lining up on the LOS as a PR either (or at least, not often). Im guessing his biggest impact will be on Special Teams. But until PS we wont see how the team uses him on defense.

Archived