Bigger Disappointment as a Viking?

TENINCH

I almost said Ponder but then I thought about it. I still remember where I was and how pissed off I was when we drafted Ponder instead of Fairly or Prince. I never had any expectation of Ponder being good. I knew he sucked and he would continue to suck. On the other hand I was so happy when the drafted Kali. I was fairly certain we would have a starting LT for the next 10 years+. 

Hands down: Matt Kalil - 4th overall pick

17 hours ago, Robb_K said:

Not as much as promoting Les Steckel. And Mike Tice was also not a big success.

Agreed.  Promoting Les Steckel over Jerry Burns was a far bigger mistake than promoting Tice.  While Tice was (and probably still is) a meathead, he had at least some semblance of a notion on how to motivate and coach players.  Steckel had zero clue, which is why they were forced to fire him after a year...not because they necessarily wanted to.   

While Frazier wasn't a great head coach, I think he had to endure a lot more things than us just enduring him.  He had a lot of stacks decked against him with the quarterback position (shuffling between Cassel, Ponder...and that whole Freeman fiasco), the Metrodome mess, and frankly, not a very talented team on offense or defense.  Tice didn't have a lot of talent on his teams either, but he had Moss and Culpepper.

Granted, it's probably just splitting hairs, because I can't imagine a scenario where any of us regret not sticking with any of them.  All of those eras were miserable, for the most part.  Steckel had his military style training nonsense (which Dimitrius Underwood probably would have been a fan of), Tice had his Love Boat, and Frazier had the Metrodome collapse. 

On 8/11/2017 at 8:08 AM, wcblack34 said:

I think the question should be "Kalil v. Treadwell" at this point...

Easy on Treadwell. He didn't play because he was a rookie playing for Zim and hurt. You can start that talk at the end of next year. Besides Kenechi Udeze, Erasmus James, Troy Williamson, Dimitrius Underwood, Leo Hayden, D.J. Dozier, Duane Clemons, and more are well ahead of him.

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Frazier also pounded the table for bringing in McNabb at QB, so it's not like he's without his own faults in the talent recognition department.

True, I'll grant that...but, while everyone knew McNabb had lost some ability, I'm not sure anyone could have predicted how awful he'd be.  I knew I wasn't alone in thinking that some of the things that happened in Washington were an aberration and that McNabb would have been, at the very least, reliable, even if he weren't the McNabb of 2004.  Everyone was wrong.    

That is a hard one. I remember getting my hopes up after drafting Ponder - he even had a good game or two in his rookie season (300+ yards against the pack) - but then just never developed further.

Kalil had a very good season, as others have mentioned already, but LT is a position that you don't really notice if it's going well. That is why he never really got my hopes up in the way Ponder did.

So for me personally, it's Ponder.

On 10/08/2017 at 10:12 AM, disaacs said:

I don't think this is a contest...Kalil is clearly the bigger disappointment.  Everyone and their mother knew that Ponder was over-drafted (probably should have been a late 1st-early 2nd rd pick) and should have sat for a year or 2 minimum.  As a #4 overall pick and after the rookie year he had, we expected to not have to replace our LT for a decade.  

I would generally agree, although there were doubts about Kalil coming out of USC.

Kalil was more of a disappointment; drafting Ponder at #12 with so much DL talent still on the board was a colossal blunder.

4 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Sometimes I day dream about what things would be like if we would've drafted JJ Watt and Luke Kuechly instead of Christian Ponder and Matt Kalil.

JJ Watt was not on the board. He was taken 11th and Ponder was taken 12th overall.

But there were 5 Pro Bowl defensive linemen taken after Ponder in the first round.

On 8/14/2017 at 5:08 AM, SemperFeist said:

Rice wasn't that bad of a coach. He was just given an absolute bare cupboard of support. If Tice had been allowed to hire a complete coaching staff, or had been given the type of support that the coaches who've followed, things may have turned out a lot different. 

I was never a big fan of Tice, but you're probably right about the support he got, Semper.  I would sure take him as a coach over Chilly, Frazier, or Steckel.

Kalil, easily.  They should've traded back and drafted Riley Reiff to begin with anyway.  Plus he was basically the 3rd pick.  

Ponder, on the other hand, had extenuating circumstances.  Everyone and their dog knew he was a 4th round talent at best, but the lockout and everything else combined to force a reach because they literally had no QB.  

On 8/15/2017 at 8:00 PM, Kparty15 said:

Sometimes I day dream about what things would be like if we would've drafted JJ Watt and Luke Kuechly instead of Christian Ponder and Matt Kalil.

Those were the 2 guys I wanted in those drafts, but Watt went the pick before Ponder.  Kuechly, on the other hand, was around a few picks after they wasted the pick on Kalil.  Could've potentially had Kuechly, Dirty Harry and Riley Reiff if they traded well.  In the Ponder draft, they should've taken Nate Solder instead.  That's who I would've taken once Watt was gone.  I had Watt pegged as the best player in his draft, but I didn't think Watt would turn into the best player in the league as he did.  

What the frick is going on with Moritz Böhringer?  Kid has done literally nothing and is rarely even on the field, is he really that bad...  Was watching the Chiefs preseason game and saw local prospect Ross Travis playing, wish we have freaking him instead of this Moritz guy....  Travis is bigger, more athletic and can actually make plays on the football field, hope the Chiefs cut him and we can pick him up and can Böhringer.

Not to even mention Laquan Treadwell, so far this preseason has done little to nothing as well.  Moritz is at least a project development maybe not a huge risk, Treadwell is a 1st round pick and has to produce.  Has shown very little, and honestly Rodney Adams has out play him because he actually is making plays on the field and looks pretty quick and athletic, Stacy Coley for sure has out played Treadwell and is one of the few deep threats we got.    

Archived