2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

FWLiW, after watching the trench battle from the North, I was disappointed in the outcomes for the Wisconsin OGs. Beau Benz would have been flagged on every snap, and while Dieter would not have been, he needed to be illegal to stand a chance.

Other guys like Lindstrom and McCoy were a mixed bag, "passing grades." I was impressed with the outside blocking from Risner and McGary. McGary is a huge dude, but is well proportioned, so I think it helps him stay more balanced. DE Banogu flashed on his rushing, and WR McLaurin impressed me. 

• Like 2

On the subject of Risner and Tackle...I'm really ok if we go with a tackle in round 2. Ideally, they could kick inside to RG for a year or two, but I really want us to start grooming another tackle, since the position can sometimes take a while to yield a good player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ftn49 said:

Adderley might not have had a great week but that can happen in unfamiliar environments. I assume most people have seen his reel, if not here is one... No way people can tell me he is not a special playmaker.

His level of competition is also suspect at Delaware. You'd really like him to be able to go out there and compete well against the higher level players. His measurements were also disappointing in my opinion. 

11 minutes ago, John232 said:

On the subject of Risner and Tackle...I'm really ok if we go with a tackle in round 2. Ideally, they could kick inside to RG for a year or two, but I really want us to start grooming another tackle, since the position can sometimes take a while to yield a good player. 

The problem is we flat out aren't good enough to worry about addressing future year needs. We have a lot of current needs. I'd like a Tackle to groom as well as it's going to be needed sooner rather than later. My hope is that we are active in trades and free agency to fill needs with very good players, and then we can take a more open approach in the draft. Fill the needs at safety and corner and linebacker through free agency. Trade for AB. That secures a lot of needs. Edge rusher is locked in at #2 I have to imagine with Allen / Bosa, so that takes care of that, even if we would want to do more as fans, at least we would have that. 

If we can't secure the tackle spot, then it's possible Shanny will just have to adjust his scheme somewhat. It can be done. Look at Cleveland last year. Everyone fawns over Mayfield, and rightfully so, but he was also one of the most well protected quarterbacks in football (in part due to the scheme and quick hitters) and his left tackle was Greg freaking Robinson lol. So we just sort of have to do what we need to do to make this a competitive playoff team first, I think and work around things that we can't fix right away. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Adderley might not have had a great week but that can happen in unfamiliar environments. I assume most people have seen his reel, if not here is one... No way people can tell me he is not a special playmaker.

Didn't watch a single practice of Senior week nor do I know his measurables. And guess what? I couldn't care less what they are. I know what I see in him. If his stock did drop a bit this week? Great!!! Gives us a chance to grab him in the 2nd round if we miss out on ET. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem is we flat out aren't good enough to worry about addressing future year needs. We have a lot of current needs. I'd like a Tackle to groom as well as it's going to be needed sooner rather than later. My hope is that we are active in trades and free agency to fill needs with very good players, and then we can take a more open approach in the draft. Fill the needs at safety and corner and linebacker through free agency. Trade for AB. That secures a lot of needs. Edge rusher is locked in at #2 I have to imagine with Allen / Bosa, so that takes care of that, even if we would want to do more as fans, at least we would have that. 

If we can't secure the tackle spot, then it's possible Shanny will just have to adjust his scheme somewhat. It can be done. Look at Cleveland last year. Everyone fawns over Mayfield, and rightfully so, but he was also one of the most well protected quarterbacks in football (in part due to the scheme and quick hitters) and his left tackle was Greg freaking Robinson lol. So we just sort of have to do what we need to do to make this a competitive playoff team first, I think and work around things that we can't fix right away. 

I don't know this for a fact but I think next years tackle class is going to be better too. I know UGA is going to have two good ones coming out in Isiah Wilson and Andrew Thomas neither are seniors, Thomas will be a true Junior and Wilson a redshirt Sophmore but both are expected to declare.

Impressive trench blocking for the South on the opening TD drive. That starting OL of Dillon, Patterson, Jenkins, Powers, and Howard handled business.. and my boy at TE (Moreau) showed his blocking chops too. 

Sweat had nothing for Risnor on 3rd and long but looked good disrupting on a rollout pass prior, as well as a run going away from him. 3rd down pass shamefully dropped on a high pass from Luck to... Meyers. Punt, you North scum! :P 

Oh my! on the 1st play next possession for the South, LG Edoga gets instantly beat inside by Saunders for a QB sack. for shame! Grier has lots of time on the next play but gets spooked late and chucks incomplete. DPI flag generous

Edited by oldman9er