2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

I just did a 7-round mock on The Draft Network for just the 49ers and this is how it shook out: 

1. Quinnen Williams 3T - Cardinals took Bosa 1 and since we can't trade down on The Draft Network, I had to take Williams here. 

2. Deebo Samuel WR - Round 2 didn't shake out the way I wanted. While I really like Samuel, I had previous mocks that had AJ Brown falling to our pick.

3. Dru Samia IOL - Each time I do a mock and I don't take an IOL in the 3rd, there is literally nothing left in the 4th. My choice was down to Samia and McGovern.

4. Josh Oliver TE - I think this is a little high for a 3rd TE for us, but Oliver fell into my lap and the draft really didn't break my way past round 2. 

6. Derrick Baity CB - This pick worked out perfectly. I think he's a great fit for us in the appropriate round of the draft.

6. Terrill Hanks LB - I chose between Hanks and Austin Bryant EDGE from Clemson. I ultimately chose Hanks because of his athletism and coverage ability as opposed to Bryant's mediocre pass rush ability and questions if he's quick enough to stay on the EDGE. We don't need another interior pass rusher, especially after taking Williams.

Overall, I think this is an OK draft. I don't love the way things broke for me. I would've loved to trade down in the 1st and I think I could've traded down in the 2nd and still got Deebo. Not having a 5th-round pick makes it feel like we go from the top of the draft to the bottom rounds really quickly. I want that 5th back.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I just did a 7-round mock on The Draft Network for just the 49ers and this is how it shook out: 

1. Quinnen Williams 3T - Cardinals took Bosa 1 and since we can't trade down on The Draft Network, I had to take Williams here. 

2. Deebo Samuel WR - Round 2 didn't shake out the way I wanted. While I really like Samuel, I had previous mocks that had AJ Brown falling to our pick.

3. Dru Samia IOL - Each time I do a mock and I don't take an IOL in the 3rd, there is literally nothing left in the 4th. My choice was down to Samia and McGovern.

4. Josh Oliver TE - I think this is a little high for a 3rd TE for us, but Oliver fell into my lap and the draft really didn't break my way past round 2. 

6. Derrick Baity CB - This pick worked out perfectly. I think he's a great fit for us in the appropriate round of the draft.

6. Terrill Hanks LB - I chose between Hanks and Austin Bryant EDGE from Clemson. I ultimately chose Hanks because of his athletism and coverage ability as opposed to Bryant's mediocre pass rush ability and questions if he's quick enough to stay on the EDGE. We don't need another interior pass rusher, especially after taking Williams.

Overall, I think this is an OK draft. I don't love the way things broke for me. I would've loved to trade down in the 1st and I think I could've traded down in the 2nd and still got Deebo. Not having a 5th-round pick makes it feel like we go from the top of the draft to the bottom rounds really quickly. I want that 5th back.

Naturally I would have liked a FS somewhere, but I actually love the middle 4 picks and would be very happy with that class as a whole. I like Williams as a player and will get over drafting him pretty quickly, but I would much prefer Allen in this scenario.

I just think Bosa/Allen, Thomas, Buckner, Ford is superior to Blair/Marsh, Williams, Buckner, Ford.

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Naturally I would have liked a FS somewhere, but I actually love the middle 4 picks and would be very happy with that class as a whole. I like Williams as a player and will get over drafting him pretty quickly, but I would much prefer Allen in this scenario.

I just think Bosa/Allen, Thomas, Buckner, Ford is superior to Blair/Marsh, Williams, Buckner, Ford.

If I had my way with this scenario, I would've traded down with the Raiders to get some extra picks and to take Josh Allen. 

Also, I had Taylor Rapp on the board in the 3rd, but I chose IOL because of the lack of depth with that group this year. With the way my mocks have been shaking out, if we can't get Lindstrom, Bradbury, Elgton Jenkins, or Erik McCoy, I'm not sure I want to take an IOL. I'm just not in love with anything one else past those guys. 

31 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

If I had my way with this scenario, I would've traded down with the Raiders to get some extra picks and to take Josh Allen. 

Also, I had Taylor Rapp on the board in the 3rd, but I chose IOL because of the lack of depth with that group this year. With the way my mocks have been shaking out, if we can't get Lindstrom, Bradbury, Elgton Jenkins, or Erik McCoy, I'm not sure I want to take an IOL. I'm just not in love with anything one else past those guys. 

Honestly, I don't know how likely it is that we are going to be able to trade down. Too much talk in completely different directions to know how teams are setting this up, so I have no idea how things are going. The raiders have been linked to quarterbacks, but obviously they have a big need at edge and it really seems silly to move on from Carr at this current point in time given the state of that team last year and the year before. 3 years ago the guy was being bandied about as an MVP possibility before getting hurt. Just not sure why you're holding the awfulness of the team against him when there were so many other problems, but Gruden is simply a weirdo.  But if Bosa is gone, I don't know why they move up in that scenario unless they potentially want the quarterback and are getting worried. I've heard the Giants spent more time with Murray than anyone, but also heard that they are so committed to Eli that they may not even draft a quarterback in the first round, and have also heard that they love Daniel Jones. The Jets have already made it known that pick 3 is on the block (likely wanting to recoup that second rounder that they are missing from the Darnold trade). 

The rumors are weirdly in direct opposition to one another this year. 

If Bosa is off the board, I do kind of feel like a trade down is more likely, but I understand the rumor that we really like Williams and think he can be a special player, so would understand if they did that at that point. If Bosa is on the board because the Cards go Murray / Williams, then I think there's very little chance that we move down to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:
Personally don't love the fit, but I get that we have to at least investigate. 

One of the few top pick possibilities that would leave me wanting to turn the Draft off and, at best, catch up days later. Dunno, just do not want. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

One of the few top pick possibilities that would leave me wanting to turn the Draft off and, at best, catch up days later. Dunno, just do not want. 

He is a massively gifted athlete and (currently) a relatively ineffective pass rusher. Even considering the amount of time he spent as a 5-tech versus a more likely pass rushing position.

17 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Yeah, we don't need to draft a lesser Solomon Thomas. We've already got the better one. And that should say something. 

One of Nick Bosa and Quinnen Williams is going to be available with our pick. There absolutely no excuse to draft Gary over either of these guys. Gary doesn't belong in the top 10 imo. Gary is an athlete with potential. Bosa and Williams are legit blue chip prospects with production to match their skill sets as well as having loads of potential. I am going to be more than severely let down if we screw up the #2 overall pick with these guys available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

One of Nick Bosa and Quinnen Williams is going to be available with our pick. There absolutely no excuse to draft Gary over either of these guys. Gary doesn't belong in the top 10 imo. Gary is an athlete with potential. Bosa and Williams are legit blue chip prospects with production to match their skill sets as well as having loads of potential. I am going to be more than severely let down if we screw up the #2 overall pick with these guys available. 

Can't remember where I read it, possibly one of the beat guys on twitter, but apparently we didn't offer the 2nd overall for Odell. Really makes me think we're going Bosa or Williams. Also makes me think that the Cards will trade with the Raiders, Raiders take Murray and Cards still get a elite DL prospect. 

23 minutes ago, John232 said:

Can't remember where I read it, possibly one of the beat guys on twitter, but apparently we didn't offer the 2nd overall for Odell. Really makes me think we're going Bosa or Williams. Also makes me think that the Cards will trade with the Raiders, Raiders take Murray and Cards still get a elite DL prospect. 

Possible. Or it could mean we want a first round pick. I've heard nothing of a swap being on the table, just giving up #2 as part of the overall package. 

3 hours ago, mw2noobbuster said:

This is a solid video and makes me want Bosa even more.

Did you watch the Quinnen Williams one? We are in a fantastic position to get one of the two blue chip prospects in this draft and if we don't come out of this with Bosa or Williams, the draft will be a huge failure in my opinion. Notice how he used the term 'All gas no brakes' in this video. Man I can't wait for the draft. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Did you watch the Quinnen Williams one? We are in a fantastic position to get one of the two blue chip prospects in this draft and if we don't come out of this with Bosa or Williams, the draft will be a huge failure in my opinion. Notice how he used the term 'All gas no brakes' in this video. Man I can't wait for the draft. 

I will honestly be happy with either Bosa or Williams. It will be hard for Lynch to screw this draft selection!