2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

2 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Ha, That Tom Pelissero (sp?) guy is now talking about how they now have the ammo to trade up to #2 if they have a QB that they love. Interesting given recent events. 

Well, they already had the ammo. OBJ was the ammo. But, you know... okay.

1 minute ago, StevenK said:

idk if he’s reputable, but i still want Bosa. If he goes @1 do we go after White or trade down to try and get a 2nd back for next year along with other picks? 

He's got a name, but not a big one. 

That being said, comments like that irk me because those picks are already a sunk costs. One of those was five years ago (Armstead). He's on an option and you know what he is. Thomas has been a complete bust. You don't make decisions based on sunk costs. That's stupid. 

Plus, honestly, there's nothing else of value to take there LOL. Seriously. There's no offensive player worth 2. No safeties. No corners worth that pick. Where else are you going to go? Just stick with BPA....

• Like 2

Who cares if it's a gigantic investment... if it's a weakness, you still have to address it. You don't correct mistakes of the past (Armstead, probably Solomon, but hopefully not) by intentionally not correcting them in the present. I wouldn't mind taking Bosa, and having DL be the strength of this team. Sign Earl Thomas (maybe), hope Kwon pans out, and hope one of Spoon or Moore is legit. The offense has a lot of potential already. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StevenK said:

idk if he’s reputable, but i still want Bosa. If he goes @1 do we go after White or trade down to try and get a 2nd back for next year along with other picks? 

We aren't going to go after White with Kwon now. Nor would Fords 5 year contract get in the way of Bosa's 5 year rookie deal. 

It shouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 2

Just now, John232 said:

We aren't going to go after White with Kwon now. Nor would Fords 5 year contract get in the way of Bosa's 5 year rookie deal. 

It shouldn't be a problem. 

This. By the time Bosa is ready for his second contract we will be out of Ford's 5 year contract (if we don't dump him before that time). Bosa or bust for me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sherm said:

I'm in the Bosa camp...but I can see them drafting QW. Bosa will overhaul our pass rush in one off-season. Having Ford on the outside makes it easier for them to justify taking QW. 

If they end up making a move for Griffen, I'd be genuinely concerned we're not going after Bosa. 

2 hours ago, StevenK said:

He's just giving his opinion here. 

But we always needed multiple pass rushers not just one. Getting Ford doesn't mean we are set. No, still need another edge rusher, preferably a top level edge rusher. 

So if we are going to end up missing on ET, or not even trying as some rumors would lead us to believe, my ideal draft is definitely targeting FS in round 2 as I’m sure many of you are on board with now. I think my list breaks down like Adderley, CGJ, Thornhill, Thompson in that order. Not a terrible list of names but a lot to be asked from a rookie manning an extremely important position in our defensive scheme. Should be some decent WRs available in the 3rd as well. Trying to look on the bright side of possibly missing out on Earl, there’s always HaHa as well but we trying to focus on possible targets in the draft.

• Like 2

Funny none of these moves changed my thoughts on the draft. Edge, S and WR have been my list for a while now. Just think the value will be best in those rds for our needs. Now the actual draft could change things based off of an earlier than expected run. A few S I'm cool with in the 2nd...not really loving anyone but like a few potential if coached up. Same with WR in the 3rd.

Edited by sherm

4 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

So if we are going to end up missing on ET, or not even trying as some rumors would lead us to believe, my ideal draft is definitely targeting FS in round 2 as I’m sure many of you are on board with now. I think my list breaks down like Adderley, CGJ, Thornhill, Thompson in that order. Not a terrible list of names but a lot to be asked from a rookie manning an extremely important position in our defensive scheme. Should be some decent WRs available in the 3rd as well. Trying to look on the bright side of possibly missing out on Earl, there’s always HaHa as well but we trying to focus on possible targets in the draft.

Yeah, I said in the news forum that the second round was going to be a hard decision for us because we need a WR and a FS in that spot. @Forge says there are more WRs so that we should go FS in round two, so I think that will be the consensus here. (isnt that guy awesome to have around btw)

Part of our evaluation needs to be someone that is ready to play immediately. We need someone to step in and be the day one starter at that spot. That is an important thing for me because you dont trade future picks like we did with Ford to not try and win a lot of games the next year. We need a bonafide starter there immediately. we cant have a huge project FS that takes two years to develop and have a huge hole the back end again. So that makes me look for someone who was a 2-3 year starter at a good program in college. 

We have had some injury problems so I want someone who has been durable.

We have had problems getting takeaways and so I want someone with ball skills. 

My #1 thing with defenders is ALWAYS tackling. If you cant tackle, I dont want you on defense. Its like having a WR who cant catch or a RB who cant see the holes. I dont care what else you do, if you cant tackle, you wont be a great player. 

For these reasons, my number juan free saftey is thornhill (pun intended). The guy checks all the boxes. Hes quick as hell and is the eraser, meaning he cleans up plays from the other side of the field. Seems like a strong guy even though he doesnt have a huge frame. Hes 6'0 205. earl thomas is 5'10 205. he has really good awareness and makes plays on the ball in the air. He has a 44 inch vert. I know @757-NINER is down

I havent really looked into FS that much because I was hoping for Earl, can someone let me know who else may fit that criteria? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John232 said:

Yeah, @N4LThornhill and CGJ really stick out to me as immediate starting options. Thompson too, possibly..but I think he might not be able to centerfield..and we need that. 

I thought Thompson's whole game was being a rangy centerfielder that couldn't tackle? I've always compared him to a poor man's Malik Hooker.