2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I mean, I don't even pay attention to the "one of the best pro day's I have ever seen!" crap any more. It's only news if they come out of the pro day with questions / issues. Otherwise its same old, same old. 

But make no mistake, he's a super talented passer. His touch on deep balls is sort of like Wilson-esque. And I know that is a lazy comparison, but the ball just drops right in the receivers hands for both of them. Worthy #1 overall pick and one I wouldn't be too happy facing twice a year for the next 10 or so years.

47 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

So we would have HaHa, Adderley/Thornhill, and Colbert at FS and K. Williams, Reed, Adderley/Thornhill at Nickel? That's a quite a log jam at those positions. IMO, it's either sign a safety or draft a safety. I don't think we should burry Colbert from getting playing time just because he had a rough start to the year. I'd like to see him get a chance to re-establish his role with the team. 

Williams and Reed are average nickel CBs from what I’ve seen and watched last year. HaHa would be our FS while Adderley/Thornhill learned the role and played NB/3rd S roles this year much like the Cardinals did with Bethea and Budda Baker. Now Baker is taking over a FS for a seamless transition. You really counting on AC to come in and threaten to start at the FS role? He was terrible last year, and that’s not exaggerating. I’m not counting him as depth or relying on him for any position at this point, maybe he can slug it out with Harris and Tartt at SS but we’ll see, again I’m not counting on him for anything. This log jam you speak of is a group of players who would be depth and STs guys on other teams with more talent. I’m not letting the “depth” we have now prevent me from upgrading and area of our team that was dreadful most of the year with many of the same players we are now referring to depth with? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Williams and Reed are average nickel CBs from what I’ve seen and watched last year. HaHa would be our FS while Adderley/Thornhill learned the role and played NB/3rd S roles this year much like the Cardinals did with Bethea and Budda Baker. Now Baker is taking over a FS for a seamless transition. You really counting on AC to come in and threaten to start at the FS role? He was terrible last year, and that’s not exaggerating. I’m not counting him as depth or relying on him for any position at this point, maybe he can slug it out with Harris and Tartt at SS but we’ll see, again I’m not counting on him for anything. This log jam you speak of is a group of players who would be depth and STs guys on other teams with more talent. I’m not letting the “depth” we have now prevent me from upgrading and area of our team that was dreadful most of the year with many of the same players we are now referring to depth with? 

So Colbert had a rough start to the year, then had a season-ending injury after showing a lot of promise his rookie year and you're done with him, Reed transitioned from outside corner to slot while also getting reps at FS but he wasn't elite so you're done with him. Kwuan Williams is actually a really good slot defender, but he's not elite so you're done with him. So you want to draft a safety, but if he sucks after his rookie year, are you going to give him the boot, too? 

I'm not opposed to HaHa or drafting a safety, I just don't think it's a good use of assets to draft one and sign one in the same year. I would much rather pick one or the other and use that money or draft pick on another position to spread the talent around. I'm not banking on Colbert coming back and being a Pro Bowl safety, but I think it's foolish to think he's just flat out done and will never be useful again. 

9 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

So Colbert had a rough start to the year, then had a season-ending injury after showing a lot of promise his rookie year and you're done with him, Reed transitioned from outside corner to slot while also getting reps at FS but he wasn't elite so you're done with him. Kwuan Williams is actually a really good slot defender, but he's not elite so you're done with him. So you want to draft a safety, but if he sucks after his rookie year, are you going to give him the boot, too? 

I'm not opposed to HaHa or drafting a safety, I just don't think it's a good use of assets to draft one and sign one in the same year. I would much rather pick one or the other and use that money or draft pick on another position to spread the talent around. I'm not banking on Colbert coming back and being a Pro Bowl safety, but I think it's foolish to think he's just flat out done and will never be useful again. 

Not sure I ever said I was done with anyone. At no point did I say get rid of, cut, trade, take around to the back of the shed, or anything of that nature haha. I simply said depending on these guys who have proven to be not so dependable is foolish and how bad teams stay bad. Williams being a really good slot CB might be a stretch too. But yes haha, if the Safety we draft this year sucks too cut him!!! I’m not sure if you’ve read any of my posts on Solly but I’m still very much in support of him and would like to give him more time to develop a role and stay at a position when most are ready to call him a bust. I’m fine with doing that or applying the same thought process to our DBs in Williams, Reed (who I actually really like) and AC. However to depend on them to step up and perform like above average starters or hopefully better seems foolish, especially with how our secondary performed last year. Also, with my support in Solly I’m still not opposed to drafting QW. When you don’t have top talent or atleast above average talent at a position you don’t not draft a guy who has a chance to be great at the same position because we have a bunch of depth players already. I’m aware Buckner plays DT as well but very often there are two DTs on the field at a time and two devastating ones could go very far in helping a defense that is lackluster in other areas. Atleast that’s my thinking. 

Edited by Fureys49ers

Much like my feelings towards addressing our edge rusher problem, I don’t want to rely on only one guy to fix it. I wanted a vet (Ford) and a rookie both to make sure we fix that problem. Much like I’d like the team to approach our FS problem 

50 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

You really counting on AC to come in and threaten to start at the FS role? He was terrible last year, and that’s not exaggerating. I’m not counting him as depth or relying on him for any position at this point.

It sounds like you're done with Colbert.

3 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Not sure I ever said I was done with anyone. At no point did I say get rid of, cut, trade, take around to the back of the shed, or anything of that nature haha. I simply said depending on these guys who have proven to be not so dependable is foolish and how bad teams stay bad. Williams being a really good slot CB might be a stretch too. But yes haha, if the Safety we draft this year sucks too cut him!!! I’m not sure if you’ve read any of my posts on Solly but I’m still very much in support of him and would like to give him more time to develop a role and stay at a position when most are ready to call him a bust. I’m fine with doing that or applying the same thought process to our DBs in Williams, Reed (who I actually really like) and AC. However to depend on them to step up and perform like above average starters or hopefully better seems foolish, especially with how our secondary performed last year. Also, with my support in Solly I’m still not opposed to drafting QW. When you don’t have top talent or atleast above average talent at a position you don’t not draft a guy who has a chance to be great at the same position because we have a bunch of depth players already. Atleast that’s my thinking. 

I agree that we always need to keep bringing in more talent to breed a competitive and winning atmosphere. I just don't want to write Colbert off as a waste because he had a bad few games and a season-ending injury last year. Again, I'm not saying I expect Colbert to be a Pro Bowler, but I do expect him to us his ability from his rookie year. If he doesn't this year, then yes, he becomes nothing more than depth and special teams.

28 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I agree that we always need to keep bringing in more talent to breed a competitive and winning atmosphere. I just don't want to write Colbert off as a waste because he had a bad few games and a season-ending injury last year. Again, I'm not saying I expect Colbert to be a Pro Bowler, but I do expect him to us his ability from his rookie year. If he doesn't this year, then yes, he becomes nothing more than depth and special teams.

That's an awful lot to risk in a season where we really need to be competing for a playoff spot. 

The thing is, there's nothing wrong with signing someone that Colbert can't even compete with. He can still show off what he can do, maybe understand the scheme and everything better during the practices, etc. Anyone we sign is going to be essentially a 2 year deal. Colbert was raw to begin with because he played little in college, and then in Miami was actually a corner. He doesn't have great ball skills, so there is a lot that needs to be improved upon. If he starts and plays like he did last year, he can absolutely cost us football games and potentially a playoff spot.  Nobody is writing him off. Sticking around as a back up safety and special teams ace is fine. He doesn't need to be in a competition to start. 

If we were a rebuilding team, I could see the merit in letting a guy like him just take his lumps. That's why I didn't mind rolling him out last year. But the idea that we are still a rebuilding team is over. This is not a rebuilding team. This is year three. I Think it's okay to question Lynch and the FO's approach and aptitude for this. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I'm actually more of a Williams over Allen guy myself. I do believe that one report even if it came from WalterFootball that we think Williams is more special than Bosa. His age and lack of experience actually makes him more intriguing to scouts/GMs.

But I wouldn't be disappointed in the least if we go out and get Allen. There's a lot of raw potential there as well. 

I'm telling you though, now that we got Ford, don't be surprised if we drop back and grab a corner. Some will be very disappointed but I think it is a possibility. 

I don't mind that approach, but we better be dropping far back and getting a ton in that scenario in my opinion. There are no corners in this draft worth a top 10 selection in my opinion, and I'm unsure if any are even worth a top 15. It'd be close. If we are going that route, I want to be dropping down to 13+ 

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

Reed's problem is that our defensive staff are trying to make him into a safety which is uterrly moronic to me. If anybody saw Reed in college play they will tell you, dude was a straight up baller@CB. Might not be the fastest straight-line but he has game speed, as I saw him run stride for stride with some burners in the Big 12. Exceptional hips and short area quickness. Just had a knack for staying in the pocket of WRs and he played with a toughness you want out of your CB. Wasn't afraid of contact for a smaller guy and was a good tackler. I thought he would be great nickelback once he got to the pros. But they started him off at safety and I just think you stunt a young guys development if you don't put him in the best position to succeed initially. HE IS NOT A SAFETY! I don't know if our staff got Joyner vibes from him but I think it was and is a huge mistake trying to turn him into a FS.  If they would just leave him in the slot and let him develop, he could be lights out there. But I know they won't. I know we have Williams and I could care less. He could be 10 times the slot CB Williams is if they would just leave him@nickel. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

Just now, DirtyJersey9er said:

The more I read about Bosa off the field the more ok I'd be with Ferrell, Allen, or any other edge rusher.

Wha? 

He's never gotten into any real trouble, his off the field stuff is pretty clean. Are you talking about his political views? Or are you talking about his injury history? Because everything else is pretty clean.