2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

I'll be pounding the table for my boy Foster Moreau, if he's available in this range. I'm leaning more 5th rd, if we had the pick, but who knows. He really should be selected in the first couple rds of day 3, imho.  ( <---------- and maybe that h does stand for HOMER ) :P 

I have him as a 4th round pick and have no personal affinity for LSU. If it makes you feel better. 

50 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I have him as a 4th round pick and have no personal affinity for LSU. If it makes you feel better. 

Oh HELL YES, it does. Your opinions hold much weight around these parts, good sir.

Looking forward to your BB +/or Rankings, should I be so presumptuous to expect them.   tiphat2.gif

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I mean, the 90th percentile SPARQ score alone makes him worth a flier on the third day. There are certain similarities with the way a man named George was handled in college. If you're looking for someone who can do a passable George impression...

Edited by JIllg
More complete content without additional posts.

5 hours ago, N4L said:

because he is already already as good as he will be. I there isnt a whole lot for him to work on, which is great but also confusing lol 

you would think it would be harder to quantify a player who is improving and has room to grow. You would think the guy that is already exactly who he will be, would be easy to assess value. It doesnt feel that way. The fact its known who he is, limits the upside of what he could be. Thats all we are drafting for, what a guy might be, not who a guy is today. 

Today, bosa is the better player. But what about in 5 years?

I think Bosa ends up as a Raider. With everyone and their mother talking about how excited they are for the raiders and how it was basically a steal because 'hes the best player in this draft'. I dont see it that way

I think it goes:

ARI - Murray

SF - Allen

NYJ - Williams

LVR - Bosa

I think the Raiders are praying Murray goes #1 because it means one of Bosa, Allen, or Williams will be there at #4. I dont see any teams trading, other than Arizona maybe which would certainly shake things up. I really dont know who would make that jump. It doesnt make sense for any team to jump up that high to get anyone.

The new wave GMs are all trying to accumulate more picks. There wont be a king's ransom for anyone in this draft, because the top guys are all DLman and its a deep positional group. Most GMs will think they can get a guy later than they could have in previous years because someone good will fall. I mean look at Ed Oliver. That guy had an amazing Sophmore year and then just did what bosa did basically and focused on getting drafted. No shame in that tbh, theres too much money at stake to risk it while playing for free, but the guy is basically a top 5 talent who likely falls to pick #9 or #10. He could very well end up as the best player in this draft. Why would anyone trade up and give up multiple firsts for Williams when they can stay put and get Oliver? 

Basically, its going to be a suppressed trade market at the top of the draft. We wont see a lot of trades immediately. When the Giants traded Odell, that sealed the book on the top 4 IMO. 

If Murray goes #1, then Tampa is where things get interesting. It would make a ton of sense for anyone who wants a QB to jump the Giants and Tampa needs a lot of help on defense. One guy is not going to do it for them, and IMO there is a big dropoff after the top 3 defensive lineman go. Elway is the only guy I see making the jump and he is at pick #10. Thats a far move, from #5 to #10. Hard for me to picture that happening

I can’t remember who said it, but I agree with the sentiment that saying Bosa can only be as good as his brother and that he is maxed out is a lazy comparison/evaluation. I don’t think Nick’s cealing is Joey Bosa, and I don’t think either of these guys have reached it yet either. The thing that scares me about Allen, which is something you alluded to in your post, is it seems that he is a one trick pony when it comes to rushing the passer. He seems to just try and run around everyone. I think he has the tools to develop into a good passrusher, and his work at linebacker only ads value. The way I see it is this: 

Blue Chip:

Nick Bosa

Quinnen Williams

Next tier: 

Josh Allen

Devin White

Third tier:

Everybody else

11 hours ago, the-catch said:

say we trade 2 w/ the Giants at 6/17. what are your thoughts of picking DK at either spots?? 6 probably too high w/ more pressing needs but I'd be down if he lasts to 17

I guess it depends if you see Metcalf as a #1 WR in this scheme. I don't necessarily. I think he'd basically be the speed guy in Shanny's system. He'd be the Taylor Gabriel of this team imo because he doesn't have the full route tree at his disposal, some of which Kollerman touched on in this vid. 

To be the undisputed #1 WR for Kyle you have to be able to run the full route tree, as well as be have the speed to separate when lined up, out wide, running the go's and posts. That's what Shanny covets because then he can move you all around the formations and teams have a harder time game planning to stop and you and rolling coverages. I think that's one of the reasons he coveted OBJ...he has that quick-twitch short-area burst to run the comebacks, hitches, and curls, while also poesssing the speed to run past guys on 9 routes with ease. Metcalf, for as physically emposing and being the freak of an athlete that he is, doesn't possess the short-area quickness to justify making him a top 20 pick for this offense A different scheme may only ask him to run specific routes that cater to his strengths. So for some schemes, he may be a #1 WR. Especially for his jump ball ability and using that skillset in the red-zone. I just don't think Shanny would value him that high. If you picking him@17, you're picking him to be the unquestioned #1 WR. I'm not sure if he could be that for Shanny, specifically. Even as gifted of an athlete as he is.  Pettis is more in line of what Shanny would see as a #1 type. He has decent size, being 6' 1. Can not only run every route, but can separate on any route, with enough top end speed that CBs can't squat on his deeper routes, leaving the whole field vaurnable to any route, from any position.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

You should check out this thread:

Overall I wouldn’t be thrilled mainly because of Samuel’s injury History and one of Bosa and Williams has to be available in the first. I like Jaquan Johnson, but I think the top of the third is a bit rich for him.

in the mock the computer takes Bosa for the cardinals every time, and secondly, I prioritize EDGE over IDL at #2 everytime so Allen is the no-brainer even though williams is extremely talented

7 hours ago, N4L said:

No love for Josh Allen? @sherm

The guy has all the tools. He is long with a good frame and very quick. Was lanky growing up but has really filled out his frame with more room to add muscle without too much trouble, I would think. 

He has elite bend. I think that is getting overlooked here. He is extremely quick and has bend. The combination of those two things with length is extremely rare

He is very versatile. He can play in space very well and we can ask him to drop into zone. He wraps up and uses fundamental technique when tackling in space. He breaks down his hips and sees what he hits. He is someone I feel confident would be able to get Russel Wilson on the ground in the future. 

I like the fact he was an everydown player. I like the fact he was the best defensive player they had on that team, because you knew offensive coaches were going to start the gameplan with him. He saw a lot of different things, and he did get doubled fairly often in the run game and for the most part he held his own and made a lot of TFLs etc. 

He basically already played the SAM role at kentucky. He was essentially a 3-4 OLB. If he would have been soley used as a pass rusher he might have slightly more refined pass rushing technique. He is not a finished product, but I wouldnt call him 'raw'. he does have good hand usage, leverage, and does have some pretty good pass rushing moves. 

He uses his speed and length to get into guys and make them start reaching for him, then he counters with the rip and clears the OL hands from in front of him and bends/explodes to get the corner. Thats why you see a lot of his highlights be speed moves to the outside. You might watch highlights and think he only knows how to get upfield and run the corner with speed moves. What you dont see is the fact he forced the OLman to reach for him on a previous play. That is a huge part of the equation. The outside rush IS his counter move to the length he has. Its what will make him able to rush the passer against the elite OTs, the combination of length, quickness and bend that he possesses. 

He does need to add more pass rushing moves. There is no question that the guy has room to grow. The ceiling he has is basically Von Miller

I would like to see him develop a spin move back to the inside, or maybe some other ways to shed OLmen once he gets locked up (which happens to everyplayer in the history of football tbh). That is something you can teach, and it seems like the guy is very coachable too. He improved every year he played college football and played in the SEC. That also means something. 

The versatility is a major plus as well. He could play two positions for us, SAM and LEO. That is huge imo. Having a good SAM who can rush the passer and play coverage would give Saleh an amazing tool to utilize with some zone blitz concepts. 

I like Bosa. No one is disputing the fact that his floor is basically a probowler. Being a sure thing is very valuable. The only problem with Bosa is that he was a situational player who rotated a lot and then did not stay healthy. The injury history makes Bosa more of a risk than people care to admit. Everyone says that he carries some of the least risk in the last few years at the top of the draft. I would say thats fair. He is a technician who has been training like an NFL player for a long time. he translates really well. 

If you are going to take risk, I would rather have more reward on the back end of it. Allen undoubtedly has a higher ceiling. I am hoping this is the last time we draft in the top 10, I want to try and land a generational talent and I see that as Allen. 

what say you @oldman9er

I'm all in on Josh Allen. I've been on that bandwagon since the beginning the season. Even though I love Allen I'd take Bosa over him. Bosa right now is the better DE/pass rusher base off of Allen playing OLB. There is a chance Allen can be better in 5 yrs...but for next yr what this team needs Bosa will most likely give us a better version. 

Also lets say Bosa is a good player but Allen is better 3 to 4 yrs from now I won't be upset. If we're getting good to great production I'll be happy. My guess would be injuries will be the only reason these players aren't at least comparable.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, N4L said:

because he is already already as good as he will be. I there isnt a whole lot for him to work on, which is great but also confusing lol 

you would think it would be harder to quantify a player who is improving and has room to grow. You would think the guy that is already exactly who he will be, would be easy to assess value. It doesnt feel that way. The fact its known who he is, limits the upside of what he could be. Thats all we are drafting for, what a guy might be, not who a guy is today. 

Today, bosa is the better player. But what about in 5 years?

I think Bosa ends up as a Raider. With everyone and their mother talking about how excited they are for the raiders and how it was basically a steal because 'hes the best player in this draft'. I dont see it that way

I think it goes:

ARI - Murray

SF - Allen

NYJ - Williams

LVR - Bosa

I think the Raiders are praying Murray goes #1 because it means one of Bosa, Allen, or Williams will be there at #4. I dont see any teams trading, other than Arizona maybe which would certainly shake things up. I really dont know who would make that jump. It doesnt make sense for any team to jump up that high to get anyone.

The new wave GMs are all trying to accumulate more picks. There wont be a king's ransom for anyone in this draft, because the top guys are all DLman and its a deep positional group. Most GMs will think they can get a guy later than they could have in previous years because someone good will fall. I mean look at Ed Oliver. That guy had an amazing Sophmore year and then just did what bosa did basically and focused on getting drafted. No shame in that tbh, theres too much money at stake to risk it while playing for free, but the guy is basically a top 5 talent who likely falls to pick #9 or #10. He could very well end up as the best player in this draft. Why would anyone trade up and give up multiple firsts for Williams when they can stay put and get Oliver? 

Basically, its going to be a suppressed trade market at the top of the draft. We wont see a lot of trades immediately. When the Giants traded Odell, that sealed the book on the top 4 IMO. 

If Murray goes #1, then Tampa is where things get interesting. It would make a ton of sense for anyone who wants a QB to jump the Giants and Tampa needs a lot of help on defense. One guy is not going to do it for them, and IMO there is a big dropoff after the top 3 defensive lineman go. Elway is the only guy I see making the jump and he is at pick #10. Thats a far move, from #5 to #10. Hard for me to picture that happening

I honestly have a hard time seeing us go Allen if both Williams and Bosa are on the board. I just don't think he's going to be higher on the board than either of those guys. Wouldn't be upset if he was, but as Cwood mentioned in the draft forum, I could see a scenario in which Allen simply isn't as high on the boards of NFL teams as he is on the boards of draftniks. 

41 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

My money's and maths are on SF trading down at 57%... or making the selection of Bosa at 23%... or 

10% says QW...and 10% says Ferrell. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlhzogmPtlYRR-3thSw4Q

It would not be a smart move to take Ferrell at 2 imo, the value just isn’t there. If they really like Ferrell they need to trade back.

• Like 1