2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

33 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Since when did Lynch and Co. telegraph their picks? That never seemed to be the MO. Perhaps Josh Allen is of interest since he’s the guy who’s proday they aren’t attending. 

This early? Can't remember that happening. It'd be pretty close with Thomas. This was around the time that talk really started picking up, I think.  But the picks have pretty much been locked in prior to the draft in both years. Last year there was the King article and then every beat writer and their brother projecting the MCG, and the year before, there were a ton of people projecting the Thomas / 49er match. 

24 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Rumors are one thing but attending the 2 pro days that just so happen to be on NFLN and ESPN is different. 

Lynch is very keen on the role the media plays in his management of the franchise. Just like how he baited Jed before he accepted the job to see if there were leaks. McG they purposely hid their interest. There’s more examples that i can find later

I mean, he goes to some pro days, he doesn't go to others. I don't think you can draw a conclusion from it one way or the other. . We know that Shanny has huge input. I'd imagine that Saleh / Kocurek have input on defensive guys, particularly on the defensive line. Mayhew and Peters play prominent roles so it's really hard to draw any sort of conclusion from just Lynch himself. 

Right now Shanny/Lynch don't know who they're going to pick. It was Shanny who said they haven't done much of a deep dive yet of draft prospects, that first they were spending their time on FAs. Sure, they might have an idea and which direction they want but what's being said now isn't evidence one way or the other after all said and done. 

13 minutes ago, the-catch said:

Right now Shanny/Lynch don't know who they're going to pick. It was Shanny who said they haven't done much of a deep dive yet of draft prospects, that first they were spending their time on FAs. Sure, they might have an idea and which direction they want but what's being said now isn't evidence one way or the other after all said and done. 

They did coach the senior bowl. I hope they gathered some useful information out of that entire thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I forgot the poster but I was arguing with someone around this time two years ago who said Thomas would never be a edge player. Whoever it was, I probably owe them a steak dinner because he turned out to be absolutely correct.

I prefer a Delmonico and please cook it very rare. The worst thing you can do to a steak is to stop it from mooing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

? They've telegraphed it every year they've been in charge. Or at least let it slip somewhere along the lines. None has been a surprise by draft day.

Well Thomas wasn't a total surprise by a long stretch. People were split between Thomas or a QB two years ago. Plenty of ppl were projecting us to pick Thomas. Alot of ppl were not. Some had us taking Tribusky. A few had us taking either Watson or trading down and taking Adams or Lattimore. But mostly it was either Thomas, or a QB.  I don't see any difference this year with Williams, Allen and Bosa.

Edited by 757-NINER

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well Thomas wasn't a total surprise by a long stretch. People were split between Thomas or a QB two years ago. Plenty of ppl were projecting us to pick Thomas. Alot of ppl were not. Some had us taking Tribusky. A few had us taking either Watson or trading down and taking Adams or Lattimore. But mostly it was either Thomas, or a QB.  I don't see any difference this year with Williams, Allen and Bosa.

I think the ones who projected Tribusky didn't really cover the team though, they were more guys who were trying to connect dots. I could be wrong about that but personally I didn't really have any doubts they were going to go with Thomas when the time came. I think alot of us were wanting other people than McG  (or at least other positions, it wasn't really anything against him in particular) prior to the draft last year and were hoping that it wasn't true when it broke however it turned out to be accurate. I'd guess the week of the draft read Peter Kings column and we know what will happen with us or at least who we prefer to go with. 

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-report-–-umass

The productive pass catcher did not disappoint. Isabella stood on his combine numbers, which included a 40 time of 4.31 seconds, 6.95 seconds in the three-cone and 36.5 inches in the vertical jump. Isabella, who worked with former All Pro Randy Moss prior to the Senior Bowl and combine, participated in position drills and looked terrific. Isabella ran scissor sharp routes, caught the ball extremely well and consistently snatched the pass with his hands away from his frame.  Despite the conditions he looked quick and practiced to his forty time.  He also fielded punts during the day.

WR class, just ludicrously stacked, lol. 

Lindstrom stunned people with many of his testing marks from Indianapolis and chose to stand on them, but he looked terrific in drills. There’s no doubt he’s a second-round selection; it’s just a matter of how early in the frame his name is called.

Safety Will Harris also stood on his outstanding combine numbers, and he too looked terrific in position drills. 

Tommy Sweeney improved on his short shuttle and three-cone times from the combine, running 4.33 seconds and 7.18 seconds respectively. He caught everything in sight during position drills. 

Edited by oldman9er

4 hours ago, Forge said:

To me there is a huge gap 

Why tho? Yeah he can be reckless@times and his decision-making is a real question mark but I had those same concerns with Mahommes at this same stage. He turned out pretty good. Not saying Lock is Mahommes but I see a lot of similarities there. Lock is a underrated athlete with a A+ arm. Haskins may have more height and a bit more polish but that's about it. I see them as very similar prospects honestly. One may be a little more pro ready in Haskins but I think Lock has that moxy/cocky confidence I think you want in a QB. 

Edited by 757-NINER