2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Not trying to call you out, but what exactly does your friend do for the Raiders? I feel like if this is common knowledge within the Raiders organization, other organizations would know about it as well and we would be hearing about it from other places as well. I don’t think he would be so highly thought of as a prospect at this point if this was a known issue either. He’s had meetings with every top 5 team in this draft as well. I don’t think they’d even be considering Bosa if PEDs was a going concern. 

Honestly? I think teams do know and don't care. I think everyone accepts most players are using them, but if he's pretty regular with it, just risks chance for suspension and that sort of the jist I was getting from said friend. Not that they're actually boy scouts when it comes to this. But yeah, he said Bosa would really high on their wish list. But he emphasized Grudens love for Murray. 

Keep in mind, he was hearing about what they like when Reggie was still in the FO. I won't say what my friend does because I don't want to rat him out (potentially). 

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Will be interesting for sure but why I think we trade down to accumulate more picks. REALLY deep draft in the mid first to 2nd round range. A lot of good players will be dropping so I could see Shanny/Lynch wanting multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders. Obviously it would be ideal to use one of those picks to get us a 2020 1st rounder or 2020 2nd rounder.

Thornhill I see going mid to late first. Driving my way up to work today I was listening to Kiper and he was saying he expects five to six safeties to be drafted by the mid 2nd round. That's kind of crazy but could see it happening. 

Not sure if a S goes in the 1st rd...but I always had this S class strong value 2nd-3rd. 

30 minutes ago, sherm said:

Not sure if a S goes in the 1st rd...but I always had this S class strong value 2nd-3rd. 

Agreed. Unfortunately, after that it dries up pretty quick in my opinion, at least with regards to rangy center fielder potential

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Agreed. Unfortunately, after that it dries up pretty quick in my opinion, at least with regards to punish rangy center fielder potential

Yup. This is what scares me too. Their is going to be crazy good value at receiver at 36 and there's good value at 36 for safety..but there's still incredible value at 67 for WR..where at 67 MAYBE we get Savage or Thornhill (who might not even CF). Maybe Luka Denis or Malik Gant (might be more of a SS anyways) can also centerfield options....but outside of Adderly, CGJ, Thompson(another maybe) and the others I mentioned..really no one that fixes our problem.

Edited by John232

Tight end Kahale Warring continues to impress NFL teams and move up draft boards.  Though he stood on all his combine numbers, he looked chiseled during weigh -ins and stood out in position drills.

Warring displayed an expanded route tree, caught the ball extremely well and looked strong in blocking drills.

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-report-–-san-diego-state

Yep, this is the most likely scenario. Crazy how so many were killing the Seahawks win because it was supposedly going to cost us Bosa, but now he will be right there for us. And I can't help but feel Bosa cost us OBJ lol. 

Seriously though, I'd be just fine with Bosa. Would prefer Williams and a trade down, but if we "settle" for Bosa then no issue at all. That gives us three potential DL who can get double digit sacks in any given year. Compare that to what we have been getting post-Aldon era. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, this is the most likely scenario. Crazy how so many were killing the Seahawks win because it was supposedly going to cost us Bosa, but now he will be right there for us. And I can't help but feel Bosa cost us OBJ lol. 

Seriously though, I'd be just fine with Bosa. Would prefer Williams and a trade down, but if we "settle" for Bosa then no issue at all. That gives us three potential DL who can get double digit sacks in any given year. Compare that to what we have been getting post-Aldon era. 

I'm wondering what team said that. But my guess is every team knows we love Bosa. Also seems like the worst kept secret everyone knows Cardinals are going to draft Murray.

Edited by 49erurtaza

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And I can't help but feel Bosa cost us OBJ lol

I'm really torn on this. I don't hold elite receivers in particularly high regard in terms of importance, so I'd almost always want a true pass rusher, but at the same time, I don't think people appreciate how much these receivers could struggle. Our#1 is a second year player with a history of some injuries dating back to college, and couldn't stay healthy his first season. Our#2 is really just another guy (albeit a fast one), who struggles to stay healthy, struggles with drops, and is largely a rotational guy who had limited usefulness inside the 20. We may draft a guy in round two, but that can go any which way. Our free agent signing is on his 4th team in a year. Two 5'9 slot receivers, and a third year UDFA who had been a nice addition to the roster, no doubt, but doesn't really inspire fear.

I really, really wish we could pry green from Cincy. I would have put in a call on Diggs to, though they have no reason to move him without saving any money. Sadly, I don't even think that there are many legit wide receiver options that could be Targeted in trade

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm really torn on this. I don't hold elite receivers in particularly high regard in terms of importance, so I'd almost always want a true pass rusher, but at the same time, I don't think people appreciate how much these receivers could struggle. Our#1 is a second year player with a history of some injuries dating back to college, and couldn't stay healthy his first season. Our#2 is really just another guy (albeit a fast one), who struggles to stay healthy, struggles with drops, and is largely a rotational guy who had limited usefulness inside the 20. We may draft a guy in round two, but that can go any which way. Our free agent signing is on his 4th team in a year. Two 5'9 slot receivers, and a third year UDFA who had been a nice addition to the roster, no doubt, but doesn't really inspire fear yet. 

I really, really wish we could pry green from Cincy. I would have put in a call on Diggs to, though they have no reason to move him without saving any money. Sadly, I don't even think that there are many legit wide receiver options that could be Targeted in trade

The thing is and I'm sure you remember me posting this a few weeks back, but the final four teams were all in top 5-6 in offense. Defensively for the most part they were average to below average. In today's NFL, it's just too hard to stop elite offenses with the rule changes. OBJ to me would make a bigger difference than Bosa because of that. Trading for OBJ plus drafting best pass rusher in round 2>>drafting Bosa and drafting the best available WR in round 2. That's how I break it down. You could get by like the Rams did without an elite WR but having three absolute studs. Obviously Kupp getting hurt meant they had two in the playoffs both those were legit receivers. And our WRs so far have shown to be nothing but injury prone. Granted, not like OBJ has been the healthiest of WRs but he's just a different level of talent. Missing out on OBJ and Brown this offseason hurts no doubt. 

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The thing is and I'm sure you remember me posting this a few weeks back, but the final four teams were all in top 5-6 in offense. Defensively for the most part they were average to below average. In today's NFL, it's just too hard to stop elite offenses with the rule changes. OBJ to me would make a bigger difference than Bosa because of that. Trading for OBJ plus drafting best pass rusher in round 2>>drafting Bosa and drafting the best available WR in round 2. That's how I break it down. You could get by like the Rams did without an elite WR but having three absolute studs. Obviously Kupp getting hurt meant they had two in the playoffs both those were legit receivers. And our WRs so far have shown to be nothing but injury prone. Granted, not like OBJ has been the healthiest of WRs but he's just a different level of talent. Missing out on OBJ and Brown this offseason hurts no doubt. 

Yeah, and I've also advocated in earlier posts that it's easier to maintain an elite / very good offense to carry your team than it is to do the same with a defense, which can sometimes vary pretty wildly even without a significant roster turnover (just look at Jax last year). I think the offense will be fine (we were 16 / 25 in yards and points per drive last year with Mullens and CJ playing most of the games, so we should see an uptick there and if Shanny ever figures out the redzone, it could be a rather good size improvement), but "fine" is not "very good" or "great" and certainly not elite. 

I think I would agree with your breakdown though on which we would prefer to have. That being said, I think a decision would have to be made whether or not you would be willing to punt EDGE all together (or at least just take a mid round flier on someone), because at our spot at 36, there may not be worth anyone worth selecting to be perfectly honest. There's a pretty sizable drop off from Polite (whom I anticipate going last out of the premiere pass rushers in this class, obviously) to the next in line. So would we be willing to punt EDGE, roll with Ford @ leo and Blair on pass rushing downs at the SDE spot (or god forbid, we just keep throwing Thomas out there to rush the passer from the SDE spot)? I certainly understand the premise of not giving up #2 in that scenario, but I'll be honest, because I'm a Blair fan, I think I may have still found that to be acceptable. Pretty close though, I will admit. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, and I've also advocated in earlier posts that it's easier to maintain an elite / very good offense to carry your team than it is to do the same with a defense, which can sometimes vary pretty wildly even without a significant roster turnover (just look at Jax last year). I think the offense will be fine (we were 16 / 25 in yards and points per drive last year with Mullens and CJ playing most of the games, so we should see an uptick there and if Shanny ever figures out the redzone, it could be a rather good size improvement), but "fine" is not "very good" or "great" and certainly not elite. 

I think I would agree with your breakdown though on which we would prefer to have. That being said, I think a decision would have to be made whether or not you would be willing to punt EDGE all together (or at least just take a mid round flier on someone), because at our spot at 36, there may not be worth anyone worth selecting to be perfectly honest. There's a pretty sizable drop off from Polite (whom I anticipate going last out of the premiere pass rushers in this class, obviously) to the next in line. So would we be willing to punt EDGE, roll with Ford @ leo and Blair on pass rushing downs at the SDE spot (or god forbid, we just keep throwing Thomas out there to rush the passer from the SDE spot)? I certainly understand the premise of not giving up #2 in that scenario, but I'll be honest, because I'm a Blair fan, I think I may have still found that to be acceptable. Pretty close though, I will admit. 

End of the day though if our back end can't cover than the defense has a ceiling on it regardless. Chiefs had three elite pass rushers on their DL and one of the worst secondaries in the league and it resulted in a sub-par defense. So the pass rush will help the pass defense only to an extent. And because I think OBJ is clearly a superior talent than Bosa and elite offense is the best pathway for a long playoff run, I'd take my chances on taking the best edge rusher in round two. If Bosa was someone of Myles Garrett level prospect? Then I fully understand staying put at #2 and taking him and turning down a OBJ trade proposal. 

I really think the team is holding off on the possibility of Murray not being drafted by AZ and being able to trade the pick for huge compensation. Obviously if he goes #1 then you probably just take Bosa and keep it moving. 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

So someone clearly got in Bosa's ear. He deleted some tweets that wouldn't play well in certain markets, shall we say

Should have done it 12 months ago. 

We are one of those markets, so I'll take that as we told him to do that when we took him out to dinner a few days ago. 

I don't care what his political affiliations are. Being red isn't a crime, and certainly doesn't mean you can't wear red and gold xD 

EDIT: I wonder if we asked him not to get political at all either, considering the last guy who tried to assert political influence was essentially cut and then never re-signed (Kaepernick). We couldn't have people say our organization favored one side over the other, just bad for business

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, N4L said:

Should have done it 12 months ago. 

We are one of those markets, so I'll take that as we told him to do that when we took him out to dinner a few days ago. 

I don't care what his political affiliations are. Being red isn't a crime, and certainly doesn't mean you can't wear red and gold xD 

EDIT: I wonder if we asked him not to get political at all either, considering the last guy who tried to assert political influence was essentially cut and then never re-signed (Kaepernick). We couldn't have people say our organization favored one side over the other, just bad for business

Yeah, I don't much care either way. I tend to think of players on my favorite teams as video games with no "non sport existence" lol

• Like 1

I think if someone told him to remove his old tweets, it was probably someone on his team. It’s possible that Lynch brought it up, and it’s also very possible other teams brought it up as well. Like I’ve said before, these guys are brought in to play football, not for their political views. As long as they aren’t a distraction to the team I don’t care what their views are.