2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

On 3/25/2019 at 5:23 AM, NcFinest9erFan said:

Reminder: FSU's offensive line was routinely disrespected in games too. Did Burns have any success in games with the inside feign? I know he got a couple pressures pretending to take plays off then burst past when the tackle looked inside.

Edited by typecast

Charlie Campbell doubles down on the front office loving Q-Williams.

"I spoke with people high up with the 49ers at the Combine, and they were just gushing about Quinnen Williams," Campbell told Larry Krueger. "They felt Bosa was an excellent player, a bit of a safe pick, probably more of a position of need heading into free agency given how good DeForest Buckner was for the team last year, but they just have more emotion in the voice, more excitement for Quinnen Williams."

"They just seem to think that Williams was more special as a player, had more upside, and really they liked the makeup of him, as well."

"You can't go wrong with Bosa or Williams," Campbell continued. "Either one is going to make them a much better team. I just think Williams is the one who kind of has their heart right now, and I think if the draft were today, that's the direction they would go."

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/124389-49ers-gushing-over-alabama-quinnen-williams-draft-analyst/

I definitely agree Williams looks more special than Bosa. But of course we have a bunch of interior DL and still need another edge so I still think Bosa will be the pick. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Charlie Campbell doubles down on the front office loving Q-Williams.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/124389-49ers-gushing-over-alabama-quinnen-williams-draft-analyst/

I definitely agree Williams looks more special than Bosa. But of course we have a bunch of interior DL and still need another edge so I still think Bosa will be the pick. 

Good either way. We should be getting a damn fine quality player with either selection. 

Weirdly, Peter Schraeger had QW falling all the way to 8 in his newest mock

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c9b05814a46487845

I’m sticking to what I’ve been saying pretty much all offseason. The are 2 blue chip guys in this draft and I would be thrilled with either of them. My preference is Bosa but I will have no issues with Williams either. I want to say we can’t screw up this pick, but I guess anything is possible. If we come away with one of these two guys, I will be a happy camper.

Edited by Gore Whore 21

17 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c9b05814a46487845

I’m sticking to what I’ve been saying pretty much all offseason. The are 2 blue chip guys in this draft and I would be thrilled with either of them. My preference is Bosa but I will have no issues with Williams either. I want to say we can’t screw up this pick, but I guess anything is possible. If we come away with one of these two guys, I will be a happy camper.

idk, picking Williams isn't going to be a bad thing, but if Burns, Bosa or Allen come out of this draft looking like elite edge rushers and QW playing at the level of Buck will not justify the pick over Bosa or trade back (assuming it's there) and one of the other edges.

I would at least take solace in the fact that it will makes us much better and he's a bonafide elite talent. 

• Like 2

I've never thought that Charlie Campbell or anybody associated with WalterFootball actually has any decent connections. Has this guy ever had the scoop on anything before somebody else?

Maiocco's story of an NFL rep asking him why he was even at Josh Allen's pro day because "49ers are taking Bosa" seems more telling than Charlie Campbell speculating that the 49ers are in love with QW

Edited by struby3
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, John232 said:

I mean, i like QW a lot..but god..part of this will still just drive me up the GD wall. And I don't think it's a good move at the cost of another elite edge. 

2 hours ago, John232 said:

idk, picking Williams isn't going to be a bad thing, but if Burns, Bosa or Allen come out of this draft looking like elite edge rushers and QW playing at the level of Buck will not justify the pick over Bosa or trade back (assuming it's there) and one of the other edges.

I would at least take solace in the fact that it will makes us much better and he's a bonafide elite talent. 

I'm with you. It will be both infuriating and invigorating at the same time. 

It would mean we obviously viewed Williams as a HOFer, and we had better be right about it. If he's just very good, rather than great, and the edge guys are equally as productive, it's going to drive me nuts. 

It would mean we would need to draft an edge rusher later in the draft, perhaps a guy like Joe Jackson in the third. That guy is a physical freak but is raw. He has an immensely high ceiling and I would be perfectly fine with adding Williams and then adding a project later on... Someone who could be a situational pass rusher for us.

I have always liked Ronald Blair but he's never gotten consistent snaps and it has never seemed like any coaching staff has been high on him, but he's certainly a guy who could be our other nickle DE across from Ford. Right now we don't have anyone who can be our second passrushing DE in the nickle. 

I guess the main problem I would have with it would be that we are just one injury away from being exactly where we were last year. If Ford gets injured (basically like he has for most of his career) then we will have no edge rushers. again. 

... Can it just be draft day already?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, N4L said:

I guess the main problem I would have with it would be that we are just one injury away from being exactly where we were last year. If Ford gets injured (basically like he has for most of his career) then we will have no edge rushers. again. 

No getting around this point, and while adding Ford does NOT complete our full need for edge rusher, it does at least relieve immense pressure of forcing the position on our first selection. Don't get me wrong... I greatly want one of the top guys.

I won't freak out if they go QW, but then they need to follow that up on day 2 with an edge rusher. For me, there is a noticeable, natural drop off in ER talent outside the top 20. This is why I prefer they not overthink this. 

• Like 1

I would absolutely LOVE if the brass does indeed view Williams as the difference maker that I do. That being said, I won't hold my breath that he is our pick until his name is called. I just feel like Bosa is gonna be their guy. He's the safe pick and I think they'll play it safe unfortunately. 

BUT if Williams is our pick, I think they'll go edge later in the draft. Guys like Christian Miller, Jordan Brailford, or Ximines and would definitely be on my radar later on in the draft. 

4 hours ago, oldman9er said:

No getting around this point, and while adding Ford does NOT complete our full need for edge rusher, it does at least relieve immense pressure of forcing the position on our first selection. Don't get me wrong... I greatly want one of the top guys.

I won't freak out if they go QW, but then they need to follow that up on day 2 with an edge rusher. For me, there is a noticeable, natural drop off in ER talent outside the top 20. This is why I prefer they not overthink this. 

I dont have the same fear of waiting after the first 20+ picks to get an edge rusher. This is a great edge class not just because of the 5 players likely to go in the first 15 picks but because its very deep and full of potential. Charles Omenihu, Joseph Jackson, Porter Gustin, Chase Winovich, and Christian Miller could all be key upgrades and rotational pieces in our front. 

I'm thinking based off Shanny's comments that we're going to trade back in the draft. I dont believe the walterfootball guy is doing anything more than trying to sound in the know for his own personal gain. 

QW would be a disappointment for me.  

My stance remains the same: Edge > Interior DL, Edge need > Interior need, Bosa/Allen = Quinnen Williams as prospects, Quinnen Williams = giving up on #3 overall after 2 years after spending much of that time trying to shoehorn him into a position that was never a fit, and Bosa/Allen over Blair > Williams over Thomas improvement-wise.

I like Quinnen Williams a lot. If Buckner or Thomas weren't on the team, I would feel great with selecting him. But both are, one is top 3 at his position in the NFL (whether or not others agree) and the other has been really good when playing his correct position. 

If the team signed 2 Edge guys in free agency (counting Ford as one), I'd be more okay with taking the best possible player. That could still be possible- rumors are that teams are waiting on Ansah until after a mid-April checkup on his shoulder. If the team is happy with that and wants to sign Ansah to a one-year prove-it deal with the rest of our rehab warriors, then at least there is double edge improvement theoretically in place and waiting until the 2nd or 3rd to draft someone makes some sense. 

The flipside, of course, is that edge guys are usually scarce if you're not drafting at the top of the first, and this is the last time we should be here. So even in the Ansah scenario, I'd still draft Bosa/Allen over Williams. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

My stance remains the same: Edge > Interior DL, Edge need > Interior need, Bosa/Allen = Quinnen Williams as prospects, Quinnen Williams = giving up on #3 overall after 2 years after spending much of that time trying to shoehorn him into a position that was never a fit, and Bosa/Allen over Blair > Williams over Thomas improvement-wise.

I like Quinnen Williams a lot. If Buckner or Thomas weren't on the team, I would feel great with selecting him. But both are, one is top 3 at his position in the NFL (whether or not others agree) and the other has been really good when playing his correct position. 

If the team signed 2 Edge guys in free agency (counting Ford as one), I'd be more okay with taking the best possible player. That could still be possible- rumors are that teams are waiting on Ansah until after a mid-April checkup on his shoulder. If the team is happy with that and wants to sign Ansah to a one-year prove-it deal with the rest of our rehab warriors, then at least there is double edge improvement theoretically in place and waiting until the 2nd or 3rd to draft someone makes some sense. 

The flipside, of course, is that edge guys are usually scarce if you're not drafting at the top of the first, and this is the last time we should be here. So even in the Ansah scenario, I'd still draft Bosa/Allen over Williams. 

I think this is fair, especially if you view Bosa and Williams as similar level prospects? Personally? I don't, and that's why I prefer Williams. But anyone that does, then Bosa should be the pick here. 

Allen is the wildcard here. He's not as polished as Bosa, but he seems to have more raw potential. He's a guy that could explode and end up being THE guy in this draft. Really, any of the three would be great picks. My preference is still dropping a few slots, taking Burns and then grabbing a stud WR (cough cough Holywood Brown/Hakeem Butler) in the late 1st or early 2nd and using the other high pick on a FS or trading for 2020 1st rounder. 

• Like 2