2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

23 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

My stance remains the same: Edge > Interior DL, Edge need > Interior need, Bosa/Allen = Quinnen Williams as prospects, Quinnen Williams = giving up on #3 overall after 2 years after spending much of that time trying to shoehorn him into a position that was never a fit, and Bosa/Allen over Blair > Williams over Thomas improvement-wise.

I like Quinnen Williams a lot. If Buckner or Thomas weren't on the team, I would feel great with selecting him. But both are, one is top 3 at his position in the NFL (whether or not others agree) and the other has been really good when playing his correct position. 

If the team signed 2 Edge guys in free agency (counting Ford as one), I'd be more okay with taking the best possible player. That could still be possible- rumors are that teams are waiting on Ansah until after a mid-April checkup on his shoulder. If the team is happy with that and wants to sign Ansah to a one-year prove-it deal with the rest of our rehab warriors, then at least there is double edge improvement theoretically in place and waiting until the 2nd or 3rd to draft someone makes some sense. 

The flipside, of course, is that edge guys are usually scarce if you're not drafting at the top of the first, and this is the last time we should be here. So even in the Ansah scenario, I'd still draft Bosa/Allen over Williams. 

I cannot like this post enough!

However, like @48 1/2ers, I too believe we will trade down when or if someone offers the right deal. It better be extremely sweet to trade out of #2.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think this is fair, especially if you view Bosa and Williams as similar level prospects? Personally? I don't, and that's why I prefer Williams. But anyone that does, then Bosa should be the pick here. 

Allen is the wildcard here. He's not as polished as Bosa, but he seems to have more raw potential. He's a guy that could explode and end up being THE guy in this draft. Really, any of the three would be great picks. My preference is still dropping a few slots, taking Burns and then grabbing a stud WR (cough cough Holywood Brown/Hakeem Butler) in the late 1st or early 2nd and using the other high pick on a FS or trading for 2020 1st rounder. 

I prefer Ferrell over Burns, but this is my favorite scenario as well. 

2 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I dont have the same fear of waiting after the first 20+ picks to get an edge rusher. This is a great edge class not just because of the 5 players likely to go in the first 15 picks but because its very deep and full of potential. Charles Omenihu, Joseph Jackson, Porter Gustin, Chase Winovich, and Christian Miller could all be key upgrades and rotational pieces in our front. 

I'm thinking based off Shanny's comments that we're going to trade back in the draft. I dont believe the walterfootball guy is doing anything more than trying to sound in the know for his own personal gain. 

QW would be a disappointment for me.  

Well... I agree with your final sentence. Not big disappoint, but enough. 

I don't doubt that it's a fairly deep draft of edge guys.. I have been putting in the work, and there are some day 2 guys I wouldn't sneer at. 

All the same... Bosa, Ferrell, and even possibly Burns/Allen are just so much better, safer bets to become excellent.. compared to the others.. and of course.. just IMHO. I wouldn't consider a single name you posted above until round 3.. and none of em would give me a confident feel that we are set at ER. 

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I don't doubt that it's a fairly deep draft of edge guys.. I have been putting in the work, and there are some day 2 guys I wouldn't sneer at. 

All the same... Bosa, Ferrell, and even possibly Burns/Allen are just so much better, safer bets to become excellent.. compared to the others.. and of course.. just IMHO. I wouldn't consider a single name you posted above until round 3.. and none of em would give me a confident feel that we are set at ER. 

I think Omenihu and Winovich are only ones I’d consider before the 3rd as well. And I agree that Allen, Bosa, and Ferrell are in another league Top 10 guys w/o a doubt imo. Burns, Sweat, Gary are easy 1st round picks too. Theres also Polite (who hates us) but he seems to be sliding. 

I’m curious what your Edge BB looks like. 

14 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Would you consider Sweat in a trade down? Length and power seem to be important, so I wouldn't dismiss him. He is rather raw and stiff when compared to the top Edgers, though.

10 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think Omenihu and Winovich are only ones I’d consider before the 3rd as well. And I agree that Allen, Bosa, and Ferrell are in another league Top 10 guys w/o a doubt imo. Burns, Sweat, Gary are easy 1st round picks too. Theres also Polite (who hates us) but he seems to be sliding. 

Question is how far is he sliding 

6 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Still work to do, but this is where I'm at currently:

(the source format takes too much work to adjust here, fwiw... also not team specific)

Nick Bosa

EDGE

Ohio State

Clelin Ferrell

EDGE

Clemson

Brian Burns

EDGE

Florida State

Josh Allen

EDGE

Kentucky

Montez Sweat

EDGE

Mississippi State

Rashan Gary

EDGE

Michigan

Jachai Polite

EDGE

Florida

L.J. Collier

EDGE

TCU

Anthony Nelson

EDGE

Iowa

D'Andre Walker

EDGE

Georgia

Chase Winovich

EDGE

Michigan

Christian Miller

EDGE

Alabama

Jaylon Ferguson

EDGE

LA Tech

Ben Banogu

EDGE

TCU

Zach Allen

EDGE

Boston College

Austin Bryant

EDGE

Clemson

Joe Jackson

EDGE

Miami

Maxx Crosby

EDGE

Eastern Michigan

Justin Hollins

EDGE

Oregon

Jordan Brailford

EDGE

Oklahoma State

9 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Would you consider Sweat in a trade down? Length and power seem to be important, so I wouldn't dismiss him. He is rather raw and stiff when compared to the top Edgers, though.

Yes indeed. I have my wonders about him, but he's a first rd shot all the same. Just don't like him top 10. 

• Like 2

I wonder if our selection is in fact Williams, would we still attempt to extend Buck? Especially if we keep Thomas inside and he plays well enough. I know we don't have to extend him until next year, but I thought it was odd that we weren't having any discussions with him or his agent this offseason. The DT pool for 2020 doesn't look that big, so someone could possibly out bid us (granted that could be said for any player), but if he's supposedly our marquee guy on the D-line, why not sign him already to an extended contract? Let Paraag work his magic. 

11 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I wonder if our selection is in fact Williams, would we still attempt to extend Buck? Especially if we keep Thomas inside and he plays well enough. I know we don't have to extend him until next year, but I thought it was odd that we weren't having any discussions with him or his agent this offseason. The DT pool for 2020 doesn't look that big, so someone could possibly out bid us (granted that could be said for any player), but if he's supposedly our marquee guy on the D-line, why not sign him already to an extended contract? Let Paraag work his magic. 

I dont see any scenario that would keep us from extending one of the top d-linemen in the NFL, DeFo will be a Niner for a long time.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Isn't it a little early for this thought process?! QW to replace Buck?! YUCK! That is a TERRIBLE reason to take QW. I would hate the guy just because of the perception of chasing Buck out of town. ¬¬

28 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Isn't it a little early for this thought process?! QW to replace Buck?! YUCK! That is a TERRIBLE reason to take QW. I would hate the guy just because of the perception of chasing Buck out of town. ¬¬

Would NEVER happen! Buck runs full towns.. out of town. He is the Swearinger, Bullock, Tolliver, AND the Hearst! 

Your fake perception SUCKS!  200w.webp?cid=3640f6095c9bda4a5351314749  :P 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Question is how far is he sliding 

Someone will take him by the end of the 2nd, he's too good to slide any farther from what I saw. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him still in the 1st. Some coach/GM will think their locker room is strong enough to keep him on the straight arrow.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Trust me, I hope we go Bosa regardless, but I'm happy with either. I'm just saying if we go Williams, our front office has to be thinking about it a little bit. Granted I hope we don't get rid of Buck because like you and others have mentioned he has been a staple to our defense.