2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

Someone will take him by the end of the 2nd, he's too good to slide any farther from what I saw. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him still in the 1st. Some coach/GM will think their locker room is strong enough to keep him on the straight arrow.

Sheesh, end of the 2nd? with the other prospects available I'd be surprised by that. He's going to have an Arden Key type fall at best. 6'2.5 and a pudgy 258lbs is not impressing anyone. 

There were rumors that NYG wanted DeFo when we were talking to them about OBJ and we wouldn’t even discuss it. I don’t think you have such a tight grip on a player you are going to let walk in a couple of years. I have no doubt DeFo will be a 10 year guy much like Staley and Frank are/were. Speaking of Gore, I believe Staley compared the way Buck works to Gore last year. I think he’s a guy you hold onto, not only because he’s extremely talented, but also because he is an example for other players to follow and great locker room presence.

• Like 4

Takeaways:

Kyler Murray no matter what in Arizona. Says he's been told that Murray's been told it's official. Happened around the time he was weighing baseball vs football. Miami was willing to move all the way up to 2 for Murray. Galko also gives a perspective of Kingsbury future. Carroll+Wilson in Seattle. McVay+Goff in LA. Kyle+Jimmy in the bay. If Rosen can't win you 6-7 games in each of the next two seasons, he's probably out of a job by year 3. He chose the Arizona job over the Jets job because it gave him the best shot to get his guy. Arizona's FO is basically stacked with youth, so the goal is to get everything Kingsbury needs to succeed in year 1 while they try to figure out things on their side. The NFL is hoping Arizona fails as most teams don't like the youth movement going on. Would rather see older guys with years of knowledge/experience, like Jim Caldwell, get opportunities.

49ers like Bosa but are concerned over the injuries.

49ers like Bosa but still want to trade down. So do the Jets, who think they can get Allen around 8-9. So do the Raiders, who like Oliver but doesn't think he makes it to 24. They may pull the trigger on Oliver at 4 if they can't work out a trade with the Jags. Giants-Montez Sweat isn't a secret. Jags want Haskins, but are trying to gauge where he goes (do they move up to 4 to get him? Stay at 7? Play it greedy and move down?). Denver-Drew Lock. Unsure where Quinnen Williams (somewhere in the top 10), Josh Allen (somewhere in the top 15), and Brian Burns (anywhere from right after Bosa to the 2nd round) go. While he's heard nothing has been decided, he feels as if Bosa is going to be the pick

Clemson guys don't get enough attention. Ferrell, Wilkins, and especially Lawrence.

Edited by typecast
  • Like 2

Curious to hear what you guys think...

So if we pick Q.Williams, he's not coming off the field right? so where would that leave Solomon Thomas? As we know Thomas plays the run great on the edge but just doesn't generate enough pressure there though.

However, if we pick Bosa, do we tell Thomas that he's playing interior full time? rotating with AA and Jones? 

Anyone oppose to trying to ship him out him?

13 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Sheesh, end of the 2nd? with the other prospects available I'd be surprised by that. He's going to have an Arden Key type fall at best. 6'2.5 and a pudgy 258lbs is not impressing anyone. 

Polite has top 10 talent, alot of what Key did was smoke and mirrors on the field. Polite is the classic high risk, high reward guy that someone will take a chance on I figure somewhere in the 2nd. 

14 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So if we pick Q.Williams, he's not coming off the field right? so where would that leave Solomon Thomas? As we know Thomas plays the run great on the edge but just doesn't generate enough pressure there though.

However, if we pick Bosa, do we tell Thomas that he's playing interior full time? rotating with AA and Jones? 

I'm pretty sure playing Thomas on the interior is exactly the plan. And there is no reason to try to ship him out, he isn't a bad player, just not an exceptional one at least not on the outside.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Figure QW has to be the 1 tech and can rotate if necessary at 3 tech, if Buck needs a breather. That's in base D, which is 1/3 of the snaps per game. This, to me, would mean Thomas would be the main backup at the 5 tech, and rotate in with AA, as needed. In base D. 

In the Nickel.. There would be a rotation of Buck, QW, and Thomas rotation INside at DT. Maybe they frequently have fun with it and kick Buck or QW to LDE so that the three can be on the field. ( Buck ----------- QW ----------- Thomas ----------- Ford ) They could give Blair some significant snaps in the Nickel, if he continues to progress. 

This could especially be possible if we don't do anything impress in adding more edge guys. 

Thomas can have a role on the team.. but it seems he will never amount to his draft spot. I think we all have accepted it by now.

If they get a good offer for him, sure, move him. We have enough others like him to fill the role.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

It depends really. I've always maintained Armstead is the odd man out, not Thomas. It's highly unlikely he gets re-signed. Definitely won't be back if Williams is the pick. My thinking has been if we go Williams, Armstead likely gets shipped in a draft day trade, likely for a lowly 6th or 7th. Maybe we could swing a 5th but I wouldn't hold my breath. That would put Thomas@big end in base, and both Thomas and Williams rotating next to DeFo in the nickel. That would give us three great, young DTs to push the interior. Mix in a guy like Taylor if he's active on gamedays and that's not a bad rotation. 

If Bosa is the pick, I'm not sure what that means for Ford in base. Bosa should be the Leo in base and they theoretically should move Ford to SAM. But from what Ford said at his presser it seems he will be the full-time Leo, regardless of personnel package. So that would put Bosa at the big end and would relagate both AA and Thomas to rotational DTs in the nickel.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Figure QW has to be the 1 tech and can rotate if necessary at 3 tech, if Buck needs a breather. That's in base D, which is 1/3 of the snaps per game. This, to me, would mean Thomas would be the main backup at the 5 tech, and rotate in with AA, as needed. In base D. 

In the Nickel.. There would be a rotation of Buck, QW, and Thomas rotation INside at DT. Maybe they frequently have fun with it and kick Buck or QW to LDE so that the three can be on the field. ( Buck ----------- QW ----------- Thomas ----------- Ford ) They could give Blair some significant snaps in the Nickel, if he continues to progress. 

This could especially be possible if we don't do anything impress in adding more edge guys. 

Thomas can have a role on the team.. but it seems he will never amount to his draft spot. I think we all have accepted it by now.

If they get a good offer for him, sure, move him. We have enough others like him to fill the role.

For me this is the part that gets me. 

18 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Polite has top 10 talent, alot of what Key did was smoke and mirrors on the field. Polite is the classic high risk, high reward guy that someone will take a chance on I figure somewhere in the 2nd. 

I dont see it. To me his "effort" and "motor" were always his biggest strengths when on the field. This draft process has been terrible for him, exposing he's a bit of a headcase, terrible measurables, out of shape. I thought he was a speed rusher but he's clearly not an elite athlete. I dont see a potential for any high reward for an undersized, unathletic, immature dude. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Some of you sure give up on drafted players quick. ¬¬ After 2 years of being played wrong, Solly will finally get to be where he should be and yet none think he can be special on the inside? Perhaps that's the QW fan in some coming out? I don't know. SMH, big time.

:/

I don't think anyone is saying that he can't be special. I think people just highly doubt that he will be or feel better that QW will be. Nothing wrong with that. I have no faith that Solly will ever be great, even on the interior, but I have enough trust in him being competent there that I am willing to bypass QW for Bosa / Allen or trade down. 

That being said, his value is so low that I don't know what you really gain by trading him. I'd rather just take a chance that he figures something out. But there would be a logical reason to trade him regardless of the return as well:  if you believe in Buck / QW that much, it's hard to see a reason for Solly ever getting on the field, so it would make sense to trade him now if only because his value isn't going to get higher in that scenario. So despite his trade value being as low as it likely is right now, that is the best we are going to do so you just make the trade.