2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I dont see it. To me his "effort" and "motor" were always his biggest strengths when on the field. This draft process has been terrible for him, exposing he's a bit of a headcase, terrible measurables, out of shape. I thought he was a speed rusher but he's clearly not an elite athlete. I dont see a potential for any high reward for an undersized, unathletic, immature dude. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jachai-polite?id=3219504f-4c11-3764-b3c6-cc83363f62fb

• Pass-rush attack is instinctive and diverse
  • Blazing get-off sets the table for success
  • Fluid movement with loose hips and fast feet
  • Bendy and flexible to flip his hips and trim the edge
  • Able to stack rush moves on top of each other to build momentum
  • Explosive burst to finish the quarterback

Those are high end uncoachable traits like the ones that just got Dee Ford paid

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

If Bosa is the pick, I'm not sure what that means for Ford in base. Bosa should be the Leo in base and they theoretically should move Ford to SAM. But from what Ford said at his presser it seems he will be the full-time Leo, regardless of personnel package. So that would put Bosa at the big end and would relagate both AA and Thomas to rotational DTs in the nickel.

I think it's more likely that Bosa has the Aldon Smith rookie role and just rushes from the edge in nickel (still 70% of snaps) until he gets even stronger. Armstead/Thomas would be the base 5-tech DE in 2019. In 2020, Bosa probably becomes an every down guy. 

Great way to "ease" the rookie in and take advantage of all our strengths. And then reevaluate in 2020. Assuming Ford plays through his contract (which would be great news as it means he played well enough to stick around at his price), I imagine he would be the guy removed from base downs in his post-age 30 years to limit wear and tear. That should leave a base where Thomas, Buckner and Bosa are all out there with a NT. DJ Jones hopefully is that guy for the 30% of snaps. This year is his big year 3 which is the pivotal one for DL (and same goes for Thomas).

• Like 2

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I think it's more likely that Bosa has the Aldon Smith rookie role and just rushes from the edge in nickel (still 70% of snaps) until he gets even stronger. Armstead/Thomas would be the base 5-tech DE in 2019. In 2020, Bosa probably becomes an every down guy. 

Great way to "ease" the rookie in and take advantage of all our strengths. And then reevaluate in 2020. Assuming Ford plays through his contract (which would be great news as it means he played well enough to stick around at his price), I imagine he would be the guy removed from base downs in his post-age 30 years to limit wear and tear. That should leave a base where Thomas, Buckner and Bosa are all out there with a NT. DJ Jones hopefully is that guy for the 30% of snaps. This year is his big year 3 which is the pivotal one for DL (and same goes for Thomas).

The thing is, Bosa is much more advanced in the run game coming out than Aldon was. It actually makes more sense to make Bosa an every down player over Ford, who still isn't great in the run game. I think the team is going to sacrifice a bit in the run game by trying to put out their best pass rush unit on most downs. Wouldn't be surprised even in the base you see Thomas/Buckner in the interior. 

So count Middlekauff in the list of thinking the team prefers Williams over Bosa. 

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

This is my feeling as well. He gives Ford a breather every now and again, and maybe the team will give Ford some reps at the SAM spot. But I don't much care if Bosa has a limited role his rookie season. I've said that before. Hell, I don't care if Ford has a limited role. Keep them to what they are good at. Bosa probably won't get 14 sacks like Aldon his rookie year, but if he grabs 7-8 in limited action, while Buck and Ford hit double digits and maybe Blair gets 3-4, that's going to be a pretty tenacious pass rushing line. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

The thing is, Bosa is much more advanced in the run game coming out than Aldon was. It actually makes more sense to make Bosa an every down player over Ford, who still isn't great in the run game. I think the team is going to sacrifice a bit in the run game by trying to put out their best pass rush unit on most downs. Wouldn't be surprised even in the base you see Thomas/Buckner in the interior. 

So count Middlekauff in the list of thinking the team prefers Williams over Bosa. 

Could see it. Kwon is good against  the run as well, super athletic to get around with that thinned out base line in a wide 9. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I agree that Bosa is more advanced in run defense, but he is still going to need NFL strength and conditioning, even if he is already a strong player coming out of college. It makes more sense to me to have Ford go full-time as he'll be the better initial pass rusher out of base. And Wide 9 is about funneling the run game to Warner and Alexander anyway, so Ford being out there on run plays doesn't bother me much.

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I agree that Bosa is more advanced in run defense, but he is still going to need NFL strength and conditioning, even if he is already a strong player coming out of college. It makes more sense to me to have Ford go full-time as he'll be the better initial pass rusher out of base. And Wide 9 is about funneling the run game to Warner and Alexander anyway, so Ford being out there on run plays doesn't bother me much.

I mean we could rotate those two, but Bosa from day one will likely be a better run defender than Ford. Eventually this will be the move to make in the base if we are that worried about the run game. But like I said, I'm not convinced we don't play Solly/Buckner in the interior even in the base defense to assure us having the best pass rush unit out there at all times. 

Will be interesting for sure. 

So do we think that it's basically Bosa / Williams? Or do we think that Allen still has a chance at being the selection. They have kept kind of unnaturally quiet about Allen thus far inthe process. Which is just a tad bit weird given he's largely considered to be a top 5 pick and plays a position of need for us. Are we trying to hide our love, or is he simply an after thought because of QW / Bosa? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think anyone is saying that he can't be special. I think people just highly doubt that he will be or feel better that QW will be. Nothing wrong with that. I have no faith that Solly will ever be great, even on the interior, but I have enough trust in him being competent there that I am willing to bypass QW for Bosa / Allen or trade down.

My perception of that in bold above? You just said Solly can't be special. You used the word "great", which is similar.

2 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Thomas can have a role on the team.. but it seems he will never amount to his draft spot. I think we all have accepted it by now.

Above, oldman did something similar. 

After 2 years and being used as a square peg in a round hole, IE misused, what was stated up there sure looks like giving up on Solly to me. o.O

Looking forward to Jon Delmark's 49ers Playbook about Solly. Hope it comes soon. Like his videos a lot. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

So do we think that it's basically Bosa / Williams? Or do we think that Allen still has a chance at being the selection. They have kept kind of unnaturally quiet about Allen thus far inthe process. Which is just a tad bit weird given he's largely considered to be a top 5 pick and plays a position of need for us. Are we trying to hide our love, or is he simply an after thought because of QW / Bosa? 

Hard to tell. If they see Dee Ford as base LEO (and think that precise scheme fit matters than most of us do), Josh Allen is the ideal player to fit the SAM role rotating down the line and playing wide 9 on passing downs. I'm not as sure of Allen as a 7 tech, but man, was he hard to block as a 9. I still think Bosa is the better player overall, but the chess player in me likes developing all of the pieces to where they are most effective at the same time. Sometimes just gotta have the better value, though. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

There is really no point of hiding the love of someone like Allen when you have the 2nd pick. If they trade down, then they won't get any of the big three regardless unless they trade down to like #4. 

I do think it is a two horse race between Bosa and Williams. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

My perception of that in bold above? You just said Solly can't be special. You used the word "great", which is similar.

Above, oldman did something similar. 

After 2 years and being used as a square peg in a round hole, IE misused, what was stated up there sure looks like giving up on Solly to me. o.O

Looking forward to Jon Delmark's 49ers Playbook about Solly. Hope it comes soon. Like his videos a lot. 

He's saying Solly can be special, but he has no faith of that happening. Two different things. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Perhaps. Still seems like giving up on Solly, to me.

Not at all...that's why my own action would still be adding an edge rusher over QW even though I do think that QW is going to be amazing. There's really not a sample size big enough of him on the interior to make a judgment call. I think he has limitations with how he plays on the field, however. I don't know that he'll ever be a great pass rusher, even from the interior...I just don't know that he has it all together in that regard, which is why I don't really have a lot of faith that he's going to be great or anything. 

How is there no interest in Allen? We have a private workout for him no? 

There’s not been enough info to go around to really make any conclusion about this teams plans. Other than that they’ll try and get a haul of draft capital for the #2 pick that still allows them to pick an elite talent, and if not they’ll select the most elite talent available at #2. It’s the same formula that they used with drafting Solomon Thomas.