2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

I believe Bosa was the pick they wanted when the season ended and some how have talked themselves out of him. Whether it's background work on Bosa they don't like or the signing of Dee Ford let's them feel more comfortable pushing Edge rusher back as far as need. Seeing as I don't have any confidence in Lynch I'm gonna guess it'll be QW.

37 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Agreed, I'd rank it like this if Murray goes #1:

1. Bosa 

2. Trade down

3. Williams

4. Allen

I'd put it similarly, but I think I would have sweat as more likely than Allen, believe it or not. And of course, I'm taking about how the team feels, not how I feel. Just one of those feelings I have nothing at all to support it lol

I think the lack of hype is a sign they want Allen, I have a feeling they’ve been intentionally tight lipped about their interest in him in an attempt to leave the possibility of a trade down is an option should a team like Oakland or Tampa wants to trade. 

That said...I also can see Bosa just being the pick no question. I don’t think QW is any more likely to be picked than Ed Oliver, Brian Burns, Clelin Ferrell, or Montez Sweat. He just doesn’t make sense to be at the top of their board. All those guys I listed have equally high potential to be an elite level player as him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think the lack of hype is a sign they want Allen, I have a feeling they’ve been intentionally tight lipped about their interest in him in an attempt to leave the possibility of a trade down is an option should a team like Oakland or Tampa wants to trade. 

Absolutely. There are some similarities to previous picks. Lynch didn't go to Thomas or mcg's pro day.  Nor Allen's. There was little talk of who the pick was. Thomas was seen as an obvious fit, but I don't remember a whole ton on actual chatter. The talk about mcg came out about a week before I think from Peter King

• Like 2

I also believe that Williams could be the pick. I think part of that reason is because we haven’t extended (or spoke to him) Buckner and I believe he was rumored to be part of the trade for OBJ, but who knows now. Yes, I know we would be stupid to let Buckner go even if we do draft Williams, but I just have that gut feeling. I personally want Bosa, like many others. I wonder if it will leak as we get closer or if this will be hush hush until draft day. 

Edited by StevenK

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Yeah, agree about Evans from above. I have him as my OT10 and about 20 spots above Howard. Tell me what u think of Scharping. 

Scharping is a fun watch. Watched all of Utah game and looked at his measurables. PFF had him as their number 1 pass blocking tackle and I can see why if he did this on a regular basis. He didn't get beat once...But he seems like he might be a guard at the next level (and could be great there). Given where i'm at in my own mock, he might just end up with SF as just "OL" because his frame  measurements as a tackle are god awful.

That said, he looks really light on his feet, gets to the second level fast, does a pretty good job mirroring but sometimes false steps and whiffs. But he could probably play every spot on the line if he had some time to learn. But i'm leaning IOL on him. 

I'd like to see him toss guys when they start to corner the arc on him. He didn't really allow pressure in that game. But in the NFL, if you're not riding guys out of that arc, then they will eventually get there if the QB is gun shy and I wonder if that's because of the lack of arm length, he has the athleticism to make up for it (a la Joe) but having that length helps when exploding out from arms to throw guys away. 

He lost some hand battles too in that game but he was really great about staying with it. Noticed it a couple times where his arms would get swept but he'd keep his pass kicks going while fighting. Some guys just straight can't do that coming out. 

edit; as an aside, Bobby Evans has legit fun tape to watch. He straight buries people;. 

Edited by John232
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's very intriguing in the later rounds in my opinion. If we double dip receiver (there's a part of me that hopes we do), I really like him at the end of the draft. 

Doss has a lot of Kenny Golladay to his game, I think Doss can go as early as the late 3rd but anything past that I'd be happy to have him. 

This receiver class is just ridiculously deep. There's probably like 20 guys who could come in right away and play at an above average level. Stanley Morgan Jr is another guy I think we'd be interested in. 

Also, on QW, not sure if anyone else has brought it up, but if we did sign him, I think it would be indicative of some insider plans. Most notably Ziggy, but there'd still be Nick Perry, Derrick Morgan and Benson Mayowa. Ziggy and Ford with QW and Buck in the middle isn't exactly a slouch group. But man..I really hope we'd trade Arik or Solly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John232 said:

This receiver class is just ridiculously deep. There's probably like 20 guys who could come in right away and play at an above average level. Stanley Morgan Jr is another guy I think we'd be interested in. 

Also, on QW, not sure if anyone else has brought it up, but if we did sign him, I think it would be indicative of some insider plans. Most notably Ziggy, but there'd still be Nick Perry, Derrick Morgan and Benson Mayowa. Ziggy and Ford with QW and Buck in the middle isn't exactly a slouch group. But man..I really hope we'd trade Arik or Solly. 

I'm pretty surprised Ziggy hasn't gotten any play. I know that he's hurt all the time, but out of that group. he's by far the actual best player. Also, he'd fit in really well at the SDE role in this defense (one I will add, he's very familiar with given our new d-line coach was his d-line coach for the majority of his career). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty surprised Ziggy hasn't gotten any play. I know that he's hurt all the time, but out of that group. he's by far the actual best player. Also, he'd fit in really well at the SDE role in this defense (one I will add, he's very familiar with given our new d-line coach was his d-line coach for the majority of his career). 

Yeah, I mean..he shouldn't be relied up on as "the guy" anymore, but I think as a complimentary rusher, It could yield pretty damn good results. Ziggy's reputation seems to be (besides the injuries) is that he doesn't go great against elite tackles, but works over everyone else. We haven't even had a guy like that for a while. But this is also why I want us to grab Bosa, putting all of our eggs into two glass baskets seems like a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 1