2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

5 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Mike Renner's most recent mock. With trades. Rounds 1 to 3. Love this guy's draft insight the most.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-lead-draft-analyst-mike-renner-2019-nfl-mock-draft-2-rounds-1-3

Nice draft for niners

If Ferrell fell that far I rather take him rather than brown but that’s just me. You can never have enough quality pass rushers.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

There's been a bit of scuttle about this. I know that Schefty mentioned that he could be moved. I wouldn't be surprised if we move off him for a 4th. 

Yeah I'd say about a 4th round pick. Not sure if they do it for that low of a pick. Such a bad look for lynch from his first draft.

Solomon Thomas can probably net a late 2nd to a team that rated him highly enough in 2017. I'd prefer we keep him and take Josh Allen. 

I like the idea of a trade with the Raiders (giving them bosa) and us netting Allen @4, Adderley @24 and Brown @36. 

Man that would be pretty sweet. 

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

Solomon Thomas can probably net a late 2nd to a team that rated him highly enough in 2017. I'd prefer we keep him and take Josh Allen. 

I don't think he'd net anything close to that high. He's been awful. He had the third lowest pressures off the edge last year for any defensive end with his number of snaps. Absolutely dreadful. He's burnt through 2 years of his rookie deal already. Anyone trading for him as a 3-tech is still doing it as a projection. Busts don't generate that kind of return in year three, and make no mistake, he's been just as bad as Laken Tomlinson was his first two years, or Corey Coleman, or Cam Irving, etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think it's possible (though unlikely), especially if another team thinks his best fit is the 3-Tech (I do). They can easily understand not playing him over Buckner. Even then, a late third seems a lot more likely. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I don't think he'd net anything close to that high. He's been awful. He had the third lowest pressures off the edge last year for any defensive end with his number of snaps. Absolutely dreadful. He's burnt through 2 years of his rookie deal already. Anyone trading for him as a 3-tech is still doing it as a projection. Busts don't generate that kind of return in year three, and make no mistake, he's been just as bad as Laken Tomlinson was his first two years, or Corey Coleman, or Cam Irving, etc. 

A few things - those were all late first round picks and he's only a bust for what we thought he could be, and that was playing him out of position. I'm not sure anyone thinks he isn't a starter inside. 

A 2nd isn't likely at all, but I think a late 3rd could. Unless we draft QW, because then everyone knows we're just trying to get rid of him. 

Man, I would not trade Solly, not yet. Let him play full time interior and see what you got in him. Losing out on both 2017 1st rounders and getting in return a ....4th rounder would be an epic failure. 

Makes more sense to try to see what we can get for Armstead who is a better player right now on a one year deal. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

A few things - those were all late first round picks and he's only a bust for what we thought he could be, and that was playing him out of position. I'm not sure anyone thinks he isn't a starter inside. 

A 2nd isn't likely at all, but I think a late 3rd could. Unless we draft QW, because then everyone knows we're just trying to get rid of him. 

I'd argue that his draft position has little and nothing to do with what he has done at the NFL level. He's been bad. Just as bad as those guys I mentioned. I'm not sure why his return would warrant more just because he was a top 3 pick. Top 3 picks bust out hard too. If I were a GM, I'd be putting more emphasis on what he has done at the NFL level more so than where he was drafted, which seems like a rather silly way to evaluate a player heading into year three of his career.  Greg Robinson was traded for a 6th after three years, and he was pretty awful as the second overall pick. So you get an extra year for Thomas which may bump up the compensation a little. Cooper was basically an throw in on the Chandler Jones trade after busting out after two years as the 7th overall pick. Barkevious Mingo was traded for a 5th after his third year. Corey Coleman was the 15th pick in the draft and shipped out after 2 years for a 7th, not really a late round pick. The fact that we are looking to potentially trade him after year 2 is pretty crazy as well - even the worst top three picks typically got 3 years (Robinson), so if I were another GM, that would send some pretty loud alarm bells out. 

I'm not sure how anything is for sure that he's a starter on the inside. He has a limited sample last year where it looked like he played better, but there's not a big enough sample size there at all. It's still a projection. Sure, you're hoping that he's a starter, but that question is still there. 

Could we net a late third? Yeah, I won't argue that possibility is there since an early 4 or a comp 3 is largely the same. But late second? No. No way in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Man, I would not trade Solly, not yet. Let him play full time interior and see what you got in him. Losing out on both 2017 1st rounders and getting in return a ....4th rounder would be an epic failure. 

Makes more sense to try to see what we can get for Armstead who is a better player right now on a one year deal. 

Generally speaking, I would agree. But if we want Armstead around long term and think he's the better player, then  I can see the case for trading Solly if they want to move on.