2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

I just can't see us going tackle this early again. Really we don't need to.....yet. As Forge mentioned, Staley could play at this level for another few years. Seriously, does it look like he is even slowing down a bit? 

I'd be good with any of the top edge rushers, Greedy or Thompson. Tough sell if it is someone else. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I just can't see us going tackle this early again. Really we don't need to.....yet. As Forge mentioned, Staley could play at this level for another few years. Seriously, does it look like he is even slowing down a bit? 

I'd be good with any of the top edge rushers, Greedy or Thompson. Tough sell if it is someone else. 

I agree, would be very disappointing to go T two years in a row considering the other holes we have. Staley is injured right now too, but still playing at a high level. Pretty obvious on Thursday he was limping around during commercial breaks (reason number 152 why I prefer going to games).

I do think we need to start planning ahead at that spot but not with a top 5 pick. 

23 hours ago, Forge said:

Torn on that. Obviously, Williams is a tremendous talent. But if you're fishing for the playoffs next year, it's hard to take a guy that's likely going to sit a year when the team itself has such glaring needs. Staley isn't going anywhere next year, and at 34 now, it's not impossible that he doesn't go anywhere for a couple of years (Andrew Whitworth is 36 and still chugging along as one of the better pass protecting tackles in the NFL). 

I suppose I'm more amenable to this if Staley were traded for say like a decent second round pick or something which could allow us to trade back into the first and grab the rusher we want, but yeah, still a hard thought to process in a draft so stacked at edge rusher which is such a glaring need. 

Obviously a bpa v need conversation, and given how glaring the need is for the outside rusher, it's really hard to admit that you just go bpa, which Williams could easily be. I have no idea how to approach that. 

Maybe if we signed someone in free agency on the edge and the need wasn't that dire, I'd be on board with that as well. But right now, I just can't do it. Plus, I won't lie, I do really like some of the tackle prospects who will be available in rounds 2-4 to groom. 

Interesting note, I have no idea how, but Walter has Williams going in the second round O.o

I agree. I should have mentioned that I thought we should lean on Williams only in the event Staley retired. 

If he’s still around, I’d move tackle to day 2 or 3.

but at that point, wirh no trade back allowed, I’d be going Greedy. I think if we go Greedy, he and Akhello can be a really good tandem for a while.

I haven’t watched any Thompson tape so he may be amazing, but I feel pretty confident that we’re going to get a new FS next year

8 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Funny thing is I wanted nothing to do with Adams or Hooker but hindsight we were probably better off with one of those two =(

Yeah, I was very pro Adams, I thought Adams, Ward and Tartt would be one of the most versatile safety tandems in the league. Loved the thought of it.

Edited by John232

20 hours ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I was very pro Adams, I thought Adams, Ward and Tartt would be one of the most versatile safety tandems in the league. Loved the thought of it.

I loved Adams as a prospect, but preferred Hooker as a scheme fit at a more important position and since we already possessed Tartt as one of our very few young defensive assets that made sense in the scheme. But Thomas was the choice of the team. 

8 hours ago, JIllg said:

I loved Adams as a prospect, but preferred Hooker as a scheme fit at a more important position and since we already possessed Tartt as one of our very few young defensive assets that made sense in the scheme. But Thomas was the choice of the team. 

Hooker made more sense at the time, I will agree. We still had Reid + Tartt. 

Personally, I wish we would have just drafted Tedric Thompson. I took him in almost every mock I had that year, including the smarter than a gm game. I really liked him coming out. Really nice ball hawking range. He's played very well for Seattle since taking over for Earl. He's not thomas, but he's been pretty good. 

We also could have taken Kazee, who I also took in my GM draft I believe. While I wanted him as a corner, I think Atlanta has converted him to a safety quite a bit. 

Big matchup this week that we should look forward to. Alabama v Miss St should feature Williams v Sweat for most of the game I would assume. Hoping someone will throw up a breakdown somewhere so I can really focus in on it after the game. 

10 hours ago, Geek said:

Just watched Brian Burns and man is he good. This draft class is real is loaded at EDGE. Sweat, Polite, Allen, Burns I don't care which one, all of them can be great. 

Yeah it'll be hard to screw this draft up...unless we don't go pass rusher in rd 1.

• Like 1