2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

Finally, there is some Jachai Polite tape on Youtube so I can make a semi-informed opinion of him. 

His pass rush skills are legit. He's explosive, has bend, and can convert his speed into power. He'll need to work on his hand usage though since it's not that great. I'm pretty curious to see what his arm length is since he doesn't seem very long. Despite that, he can still get some great leverage against offensive tackles or straight up get underneath their arms making it difficult to block him. He fits the profile of a LEO the best of any of the group of EDGE guys not named Bosa. I could see him excelling in Saleh's scheme.

On the flip side, his run defense is terrible. He's constantly getting washed out or playing undisciplined in his gap. The first game I watched of him I saw 3 big runs ripped off because he wasn't playing sound disciplined run defense. This is something he needs to get better at quickly if he wants to be a three-down player that'll be racking up sacks. If he doesn't figure it out quickly teams are just going to run directly at him every chance they get. Solomon Thomas can't pass-rush and Polite can run defend. What could go wrong? 

• Like 1

He certainly has some nice tools. 

I didn't like his first step, it wasn't consistent enough. There were times he would fire off but he would go too far upfield and run himself out of the play. There were also times he dipped under and converted speed to power as you say. There were other times he just kind of stood there as the ball was snapped and I didn't see that many inside moves. 

I agree his hands need work, but like I said, the kid has some tools. He could very well become a consistent player, but right now I'm somewhat skeptical in the top 5. Seems like lots of times it's splash plays or bust for him. 

I'd rather just take Ed Oliver? That guy seems like he will be Aaron Donald and Warren Sapp rolled into one. Holy hell. He's a surefire all pro on the inside. I don't see how you can pass on that if it's there. Thomas is a sunk cost, trade him to the raiders after a year if you have to, whatever. 

Oliver and Buckner would be an all time pairing. Theyd both compliment each other so well. Then trade up for an edge guy like we did with Ruben. Sign Earl Thomas and another veteran corner and suddenly we would have a defense. 

Oliver might be the one guy worth passing on the top edge rusher for. Theres also a strong chance the raiders and gruden see Warren Sapp and just draft Oliver #1 overall. He's that good. 

Maybe Oliver somehow nets us bosa? One can hope. 

12 hours ago, Geek said:

Finally, there is some Jachai Polite tape on Youtube so I can make a semi-informed opinion of him. 

His pass rush skills are legit. He's explosive, has bend, and can convert his speed into power. He'll need to work on his hand usage though since it's not that great. I'm pretty curious to see what his arm length is since he doesn't seem very long. Despite that, he can still get some great leverage against offensive tackles or straight up get underneath their arms making it difficult to block him. He fits the profile of a LEO the best of any of the group of EDGE guys not named Bosa. I could see him excelling in Saleh's scheme.

On the flip side, his run defense is terrible. He's constantly getting washed out or playing undisciplined in his gap. The first game I watched of him I saw 3 big runs ripped off because he wasn't playing sound disciplined run defense. This is something he needs to get better at quickly if he wants to be a three-down player that'll be racking up sacks. If he doesn't figure it out quickly teams are just going to run directly at him every chance they get. Solomon Thomas can't pass-rush and Polite can run defend. What could go wrong? 

Who the hell cares about his run stopping ability? Play him on passing downs until he improves that. This is a passing league through and through now. 

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Who the hell cares about his run stopping ability? Play him on passing downs until he improves that. This is a passing league through and through now. 

Because he is REALLY bad at it. Like if I was a QB on 3rd and 6 and saw him on the edge, I'd audible it and run the ball straight at him. More likely than not I think that is a first down. He needs major work in that department. 

1 hour ago, Geek said:

Josh Allen put up another monster game today. I'm really liking him if we can't get Bosa. Right now he might be my favorite EDGE guy for us.

Grab a seat...there's plenty of room on the bandwagon. 

3 hours ago, Geek said:

Josh Allen put up another monster game today. I'm really liking him if we can't get Bosa. Right now he might be my favorite EDGE guy for us.

They have completely turned him loose this year. It's great to see

And now we have the #1 pick! For at least one week........

What a terrible loss by the Chargers. Rivers completely lost the game by throwing the ball on the ground on 3rd down. All he had to do was take a sack and kill 40 seconds. If he does that, then game over.