2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

9 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Damn it, @Forge, if Sean McDermott can lead Tyrod Taylor and the Bills to 9 wins, then Kyle Shanahan and Jimmy Garoppolo can damn well get us to 11! Stop using your logic and reason and get on this damn bandwagon already. 

=(

Yeah, I don't want to be the party pooper. Obviously, I'm rooting for 16-0 lol. I'm also trying to just temper my expectations. I'm just a fan of larger sample sizes before clearly committing to one line of thought. I can definitely see that middle ground 7-9 / 8-8 / 9-7, and that's where my expectations lie. But a couple of guys progress, perform better than expected, and I wouldn't be super shocked if we finished 10-6 / 11-5, but it woudln't be expected for me, is all. 

I remember in 2011, people thought we were going to be terrible. Peter King infamously had us with the worst record and winning the suck for luck sweepstakes. There's a legitimate argument to be made that we were the best team in football that year, and obviously we finished as one of the top 4. I still believe that if we beat the giants in that game, we beat the Pats in the superbowl. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Well if we're talking about JG and Shanny this early then we might think about adding Goff and McVay.

I knew this was going to come up, and I think it's the absolute worst one yet. 2016 Jared Goff is more than enough for me to say this is far more likely an elite coach making the most out of a talented, but not elite QB. I'd be far more inclined to believe in Wentz/Pederson

30 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I knew this was going to come up, and I think it's the absolute worst one yet. 2016 Jared Goff is more than enough for me to say this is far more likely an elite coach making the most out of a talented, but not elite QB. I'd be far more inclined to believe in Wentz/Pederson

I'm of a similar mindset (Wentz > Goff with Pederson as a very good coach and potentially more), but for some reason, I do think that McVay is a rockstar as a head coach. I think he's going to be a great one (if you don't consider him there already). 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm of a similar mindset (Wentz > Goff with Pederson as a very good coach and potentially more), but for some reason, I do think that McVay is a rockstar as a head coach. I think he's going to be a great one (if you don't consider him there already). 

I do. I think he has every capability to be as elite as Shanahan does. I think that is what saved Goff, and it's why Goff will likely reach his full potential as a good to great QB.

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Forge said:

Lots of it in this draft.

Outside the first round will a true difference maker exist? I wonder. I feel all legitimate edge rushers will be gone in the first round. I'd like our first two picks to be edge rushers.

Edited by PapaShogun

49 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Matt Millers 1.0 mock draft. Using Vegas odds to slot the teams.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791109#slide1

He has us taking cornerback Michael Jackson from Miami at 24th. A lot will change from now until then, but at first glance I'm not thrilled with the suggestion. 

And the reasoning for that suggestion is downright ignorant. We're trying to figure out who our #2 CB will be? Suuuuure. And I wouldn't call us "light at receiver" either. We don't have top end talent (maybe... I'm not sure Pettis won't turn out to be an elite talent just yet), but we have a lot of good pieces there.

11 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Oh does he suck or something?

He's a bit of a running joke, yeah. To give him a little credit, he does seem a bit in tune with the niners in the past, but he is not overly well regarded, particularly by the draft forum. He's especially noted for having random change of hearts about a prospect after other draft evaluators publicize opinions (ie, he hated a prospect all season, Jeremiah posts the virtues of said player and why he will go really early,  and Miller suddenly does a 180 and the prospect is suddenly very good)

I strongly suspect the reason we didn't go all in on a pass rusher this year was because of the perception that this up and coming class is better. We won't know that for a while so I'm sort of biting my tongue on if it was a mistake this past draft..but i'm still leery of trading up for pettis vs landry.

That said, I've warmed up to Pettis quite a bit. He may not be an elite number 1, but he's so incredibly toolsy that he could do a lot of damage with a mind like Shanny. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

but i'm still leery of trading up for pettis vs landry.

This is my thing as well. I think Pettis has a chance to be very good, I will admit, but I have already stated my admonishment of making that trade up for him. I wasn't even a Landry fan (well, not as much as most were on this board - I had him a little earlier than where he went and was willing to take him in the first if we traded down), but given the tremendous upside I viewed him as having, and the positional importance, that absolutely would have been my move as opposed to trading up for Pettis. I think that definitely says something when I may have been the lowest out of anyone in the 49er forum.  I hope Pettis blows up, but man, Landry at that spot was just such incredible value.