2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I will say that I don't particularly hold this draft class as a whole in high esteem. There are certain positions that are pretty strong, obviously, but as a whole, I'm sort of meh on this draft. Maybe that's why I'm not so enamored with having more picks from this class. Open to it, as I said, but it doesn't get me super excited. 

THere are drafts you want multiple picks to take shots at a deep class, others, you multiple picks to move up and get the best of a weaker draft. Some years it's perfectly fine to come out of the process with only a handful of rookies. I wouldn't mind coming out of this draft having added only two starters, if they're high quality prospects.

I feel a little differently about the class as whole. In my opinion there’s a lot of IDL, EDGE, WR and TE from high end to depth. At other positions there may not be the big names and top 10 prospect but I really like some of the depth at RB, CB, S and even OL to an extent. A lot of these guys who played OT in college may switch to OG in the pros like Ford, Risner, Scharping, Cajuste and Dillard and that strengthens the IOL class. If they stay at OT then that means they’re succeeding there making it a successful OT class. The three positions that I’d say are weak is QB, C and LB. Not to say there won’t be a handful of guys from each position who does very well but as prospects right now it seems like you have your top guys and then a lot “meh”. This isn’t unlike any other class for me though, strengths, weaknesses and your in betweens. Every year people say the class is weak or not good at this position and every year players surprise, outperform and come out of no where.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

I feel a little differently about the class as whole. In my opinion there’s a lot of IDL, EDGE, WR and TE from high end to depth. At other positions there may not be the big names and top 10 prospect but I really like some of the depth at RB, CB, S and even OL to an extent. A lot of these guys who played OT in college may switch to OG in the pros like Ford, Risner, Scharping, Cajuste and Dillard and that strengthens the IOL class. If they stay at OT then that means they’re succeeding there making it a successful OT class. The three positions that I’d say are weak is QB, C and LB. Not to say there won’t be a handful of guys from each position who does very well but as prospects right now it seems like you have your top guys and then a lot “meh”. This isn’t unlike any other class for me though, strengths, weaknesses and your in betweens. Every year people say the class is weak or not good at this position and every year players surprise, outperform and come out of no where.

There's a lack of mid round crushes for me :(

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

There's a lack of mid round crushes for me :(

Well what’re ya looking for haha? Let’s see if I can’t play match maker. Nasir Adderley although not mid rounder is mine. A couple pass rushers and LBs I like in those rounds as well. At WR there’s everyone’s type and flavor. Even at C/OG there’s a couple guys I have my eye on and at CB there are those tall, lanky guys a plenty. Maxx Crosby, DE from Eastern Michigan is an intriguing guy, length, bend, quickness. Needs bulk and refinement for sure but there’s some tools to work with. 

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Okay, SAM is what I was thinking too. Not so sure that I love him on the edge in passing situations though. He's a short dude without much length and a little stiff who's never been tasked with playing with his hand in the dirt if I remember right. I think that's a lot of projecting there for a scenario that should solve our pass rush problem. Depending on who you ask, some may no longer view Ziggy as a LEO. I know that I have seen that mentioned before (and not by me lol). Maybe @757-NINER? I've projected Ziggy as the SDE pass rusher in the past though. Thomas cannot be viewed as a viable pass rushing end at this point in time. Neither can Armstead. I think we can all agree with that. Blair has been pretty solid in that regard, but I think it's always been from the SDE spot, right? I wouldn't mind giving him a crack at a leo spot from time to time though. Street is also viewed as a big end / 3 tech. 

If I could trust Ziggy, I'd have less of an issue here. But I'm pretty sure that the shoulder injury is chronic and not getting better. I know that Idog has mentioned that in the past. So I can't put any faith in that whatsoever. So in this scenario, there's just not enough here for me to think that we've really done anything to improve the pass rush as it exists on the field. It improves the depth, but not enough positive movement in the play in play out for me. 

Yes, I've made my stance on Ansah clear....dude is not a Leo IMO. And you can't trust him to stay healthy. We already have more than our share of players who are chronically injured. If you could get him on the cheap I'd consider it but I think that's very unlikely to happen. He'd be perfect in a place like Philly, with how Schwartz uses his D-Lineman. Just don't think he's a good fit for us. 

Edited by 757-NINER

A mid to late round LB to watch during the upcoming show case games is Tre Watson from Maryland. Reminds me a little of Borland in his style of play and has been supposedly killing it during the practice this week.

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Solid measurements for Blace Brown. He's a guy I like in those middle to late rounds. Obviously not the highest level of competition, but 11 interceptions in his first two years there shows that he has a knack for the football which is something we desperately need.  Seems like a very good fit in our zone coverage scheme as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Some people really, really love that guy. 

Reminds me far too much of that DL from Ole Miss that Arizona drafted, Robert Nkm...whatever it was. All the talent and physical gifts in the world but motivation or something is missing.