2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's a valid question. Right now, do I think that he could bull rush his way into the backfield? Probably not if you want to be completely honest. That being said, he's a fairly long dude, and if taught correct hand usage and technique, he'll have a good arsenal to get around opposing tackles to where they can't even really get a hold of him (inside and out). But as 757 indicates, the thing that works for Allen is that you can also stand him up at SAM, probably have him be a very effective blitzer from that spot, and utilize him in coverage some. There's some appealing notion to being versatile on the pass rush front on defense - maybe drop a leo like marsh into coverage in the flat while Allen blitzes from the SAM spot and overloads the strong side. 

Allen absolutely has questions about what he will end up being at the next level, no doubt about that, but the ceiling is very, very high. 

So I think one of the interesting things that doesn't get brought enough up in player assessment is how much a player improves year to year. Trying to find how "teachable" a player is should be damn near the top thing a team looks for. Now, not every team actually wants to develop guys, a la Harbaugh and to some extent, even BB, who likes to find (and does) guys who can contribute every year no matter where they were taken.

Tre White and Michael Thomas are great examples of players who didn't flash all the time in college but showed clear improvement every year and a clear advancement of game. Tre White was especially bland for a lot of people. But as soon as they get to the NFL, they're savants. The ability to learn and process new schemes, information and technique is probably the biggest factor in determining if a player will be good or not (assuming they meet the physical threshold to be in the NFL). McGlinchey is another guy who looked better this year than he did in any of his college tape. 

This is why I love Allen and Ferrell as prospects. Allen has showed so much improvement, it's hard not to get excited about what he could be.

Whereas Ferrell is sort of paradoxical in my opinion. He gets this physical freak moniker, but most people associate that with speed/burst and size. Whereas I think he's above average in that department (he can still tilt the corner with speed and has insane get off at times..) but where he looks freaky to me is he is his play strength. He's 260 and plays like a 290 pound edge when it comes to sealing off the run and stacking blockers He does that SOOOO well when he does do it. But he's also inconsistent in what he does well. I'd say he's a consistent player, but what he does that's actually good play to play  can be very different and also what he does bad. Sometimes he'll fly off the edge and just run past a tackle for the sack. next play he won't get the jump, but he'll stack and shed a tackle and get some pressure inside. in 2017 he'll have these moments where he diagnoses a playfake and immediately kills the play or creates chaos around it...then two plays later they'll do another play fake and he'll be completely lost. My biggest gripe with him as a prospect besides the speed around the edge factor (which is not necessary to be a great pass rusher I might add) is he needs to use his length better and he needs to just continue to refine his pass-rush attack. When he does use his length he's straight up Aldon Smith-esque. Violent hands and  the length that can shed a blocker clean off of him in a blink. If he doesn't use his length well, he gets locked up and then has to use his motor to win or tries to counter inside. 

I think your concerns about him being a finisher is understandable given his lack of burst. But I'd argue being heady about your approach (which he is) and taking the proper angles to a QB (which outside of the Masterful Bosa, he's the best at it in this class)is more important to closing the deal on a QB. If anything he could be a better tackler, I think that's sometimes an issue with long armed guys for whatever reason. They get the hands on a QB first but that gets them scrambling..where he's not connecting with both arms and wrapping up at once.

If I were to compare him to someone, a poor mans Smith may be a good start. Ryan Kerrigan was another comp that crossed my mind. potential to be hall of very good and super consistent. 

Allen though..I really do think he has a Mack level ceiling. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I know you need an outside pass-rush presence more than interior, so if Bosa is selected #1, do you think Allen would be the pick?

Of course a lot will change over the next couple months, but I am curious if Q Williams is more likely or an Allen/Ferrell.

Allen or trade back and grab Ferrell/Polite. Grabbing Williams is just stupid on so many levels for us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I know you need an outside pass-rush presence more than interior, so if Bosa is selected #1, do you think Allen would be the pick?

Of course a lot will change over the next couple months, but I am curious if Q Williams is more likely or an Allen/Ferrell.

Hard to say. Allen and Williams will both be in consideration despite Williams not necessarily being the highest need. Depends on his eval from the staff. If he's viewed as the clear #2 player in this draft by the FO, which wouldn't be all that surprising, I wouldn't be shocked by his selection. Daniel Jeremiah mocking us Gary at #2 is a little concerning (since his mocks typically are based off his sources in the nfl), but it's so early, I'm not going to put too much stock in it quite yet. That being said, I can't discount that he could be the selection if they really like him. I don't think that he fits what we need, per se, but who knows. We need finishers in the pass rush...he hasn't shown to be that at all. 

Just now, Forge said:

Hard to say. Allen and Williams will both be in consideration despite Williams not necessarily being the highest need. Depends on his eval from the staff. If he's viewed as the clear #2 player in this draft by the FO, which wouldn't be all that surprising, I wouldn't be shocked by his selection. Daniel Jeremiah mocking us Gary at #2 is a little concerning (since his mocks typically are based off his sources in the nfl), but it's so early, I'm not going to put too much stock in it quite yet. That being said, I can't discount that he could be the selection if they really like him. I don't think that he fits what we need, per se, but who knows. We need finishers in the pass rush...he hasn't shown to be that at all. 

i saw that. i will cry if we pick Geary.

Finally got to finish this Shrine game today. Some quick compliments to:

Jordan Brailford - OKSt DE

Nick Allegretti - Illinois C

Terry Godwin - Georgia WR

Justin Hollins - Oregon DE

Jamal Custis - Syracuse WR

Ka'dar Hollman - Toledo CB

Nick Brosette - LSU RB

Mazzi Wilkins - USF CB

Jesper Horsted - Princeton TE

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Doesn’t surprise me to see Burns that high. Dude can get after the passer. If he can put on some muscle and prove he can still be explosive by the time the combine comes around, I think he’ll be drafted very high.

22 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Doesn’t surprise me to see Burns that high. Dude can get after the passer. If he can put on some muscle and prove he can still be explosive by the time the combine comes around, I think he’ll be drafted very high.

Said it before and I'll say it again, best pure pass-rusher in the draft. His bend running the arc is insane. And his spin is very Freeney-esque. But he's a one trick pony until he can bulk up and add power. But man, would I love to have him and watch him develop. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

Allen’s number of pressures again is extremely effective being that, and yes I’ve said it before, he dropped into coverage so often. He’s extremely effective at getting after the QB and is still learning the nuances of doing so. Working his way from a “nobody 2 star recruit” or whatever he was to what he is today there’s no doubt in my mind that he is going to become a stud.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Thoughts on Oshane Ximines?

He'll need to sit and develop behind a quality starter. I don't think he's a guy that can hit the ground running to be honest. Doesn't play with enough functional strength on the edge for my liking but he definitely has tools and should test pretty well. I'd take a flier on him in the later rounds.  But it wouldn't surprised me if he was a priority UDFA.

• Like 1