2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

Granderson measured in well and I’ve read from multiple sources that he showed well at practice, very interesting. Haven’t watched very much tape or his at all either but box score scouting leaves something to be desired from him especially not playing top tier talent but he very well could have been game planned for exclusively from opposing offenses. I’ll have to dig more into his tape. 

Really like Sweat as an all around player but I think I’d still take Burns over him with that speed and bend around the edge. Sweat parallels a lot of my thoughts I have on Ferrell just not as refined and polished.

9 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Granderson measured in well and I’ve read from multiple sources that he showed well at practice, very interesting. Haven’t watched very much tape or his at all either but box score scouting leaves something to be desired from him especially not playing top tier talent but he very well could have been game planned for exclusively from opposing offenses. I’ll have to dig more into his tape. 

Really like Sweat as an all around player but I think I’d still take Burns over him with that speed and bend around the edge. Sweat parallels a lot of my thoughts I have on Ferrell just not as refined and polished.

If Burns is really in the 230s, i have to take sweat over him for us specifically, though Burns is the higher upside player and should be higher rated for wire a few other teams

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

If Burns is really in the 230s, i have to take sweat over him for us specifically, though Burns is the higher upside player and should be higher rated for wire a few other teams

I’d rank them about the same but personally would take speed over weight if I’m looking for strictly just a pass rusher. I wouldn’t be upset if either was our pick in a trade down scenario or a trade back into the 1st deal. A lot of long, lean, quick edge players have had great careers so I’m not too concerned about it as I think being in pro strength and conditioning program where his only responsibility is strictly football he’ll be able to add on weight. If I’m running the defense I’m thinking I have a handful of players capable of playing LEO on rushing downs, get me someone who can get after the QB on 3rd and long. As long as he can do that for a season or two while he adds weight I’m happy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Three things I took away from the weigh-ins today:

• Montez Sweat has amazing measurables. 6'6 250 with almost 36" arms is freakish. Apparently, he was dominating practice today with multiple moves, which he didn't really show throughout his college career. Daniel Jerimiah said he thinks Sweat sneaks into the top 10 if he continues to impress. Not sure I like Sweat enough for a trade-down scenario into the back half of the top 10, but he's very intriguing.
  • Rock Ya-Sin's weigh-in was a disappointment. I know this isn't the combine, but his weigh-in was awful. He was projected as this huge, long corner that's physical. He still could be plenty physical, but he went from a 6'3 190 lbs. corner to a 5'11 189 lbs. corner with 32" arms. I liked him as a 3rd round pick, but now, I'm not interested since he doesn't fit the physical body type the Niners like.
  • Chris Lindstrom is quickly becoming a favorite player of mine. I've read some good things about Lindstrom's athletic ability for a guard and his balance between pass protection and run blocking. He weighed in at 6'3 303 with 35" arms. This seems to support his athletism and the long arms are a plus. I'm really liking him as a plug-and-play second-round pick similar to Braden Smith for the Colts.
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I’d rank them about the same but personally would take speed over weight if I’m looking for strictly just a pass rusher. I wouldn’t be upset if either was our pick in a trade down scenario or a trade back into the 1st deal. A lot of long, lean, quick edge players have had great careers so I’m not too concerned about it as I think being in pro strength and conditioning program where his only responsibility is strictly football he’ll be able to add on weight. If I’m running the defense I’m thinking I have a handful of players capable of playing LEO on rushing downs, get me someone who can get after the QB on 3rd and long. As long as he can do that for a season or two while he adds weight I’m happy.

It really depends on the weight. I think we take it for granted that people will be the same when they add on 15-20 pounds, and I Don't always think that's the case. I mean, just look at polite. He was pretty pedestrian before this year. Then he blew up. One of the big differences? He dropped 20 pounds. If he's playing in the 230's, and he was not all that great beforehand in the 250's, that doesn't give me warm and fuzzies that we could just have him put on weight and still have his explosion and speed.  I can't ever think of someone weighing in the 230s who was a successful pass rusher at the next level. Even Dee Ford, who is a complete bean pole was 252 pounds. Von was 245, but he's always been a standup guy, but I think 245 - 250 is pretty much my cut off if I want their hand in the dirt.  Now, I don't know if Burns would actually weigh in at the 230-235 he's listed, and I would doubt that he does (I'm going to assume that he's going to be around 245 just because I think he will get info from his people that coming in lower than that could harm his stock), but until he gets measured at the combine, I don't really know. But I can't remember any successful pass rusher at the next level who was in the 230's. If someone can, throw it out there. Maybe I'm just forgetting someone. 

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Three things I took away from the weigh-ins today:

• Montez Sweat has amazing measurables. 6'6 250 with almost 36" arms is freakish. Apparently, he was dominating practice today with multiple moves, which he didn't really show throughout his college career. Daniel Jerimiah said he thinks Sweat sneaks into the top 10 if he continues to impress. Not sure I like Sweat enough for a trade-down scenario into the back half of the top 10, but he's very intriguing.
  • Rock Ya-Sin's weigh-in was a disappointment. I know this isn't the combine, but his weigh-in was awful. He was projected as this huge, long corner that's physical. He still could be plenty physical, but he went from a 6'3 190 lbs. corner to a 5'11 189 lbs. corner with 32" arms. I liked him as a 3rd round pick, but now, I'm not interested since he doesn't fit the physical body type the Niners like.
  • Chris Lindstrom is quickly becoming a favorite player of mine. I've read some good things about Lindstrom's athletic ability for a guard and his balance between pass protection and run blocking. He weighed in at 6'3 303 with 35" arms. This seems to support his athletism and the long arms are a plus. I'm really liking him as a plug-and-play second-round pick similar to Braden Smith for the Colts.

I wasn't super high on Rock Ya Sin, but yeah, that was a major disappointment there. I've always been a decent fan of Sweat. I've never been that guy yelling for the rafters for him, but I liked to bring him up because I just felt like he was the forgotten man out of this edge rusher class. Besides his length, I don't think that there's anything really elite about him or anything, and he's a little older than I prefer (I think he's already 23?), but he checks all the boxes. He just checks them as a B or B+ to me, very few A's in his range if you know what I mean. 

Haven't watched Lindstrom. I'll make sure to dig into him a little because I would potentially like to add an interior blocker in this draft (or a tackle; either or). 

Senior Bowl meetings in day 1 per Walter: 

San Francisco 49ers - Delaware safety Nasir Adderley, Arizona State defensive tackle Renell Wren 

Adderly most know about. I will admit that I was somewhat disappointed in his measurements. 

Here is a quick play from practice today from Wren

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wasn't super high on Rock Ya Sin, but yeah, that was a major disappointment there. I've always been a decent fan of Sweat. I've never been that guy yelling for the rafters for him, but I liked to bring him up because I just felt like he was the forgotten man out of this edge rusher class. Besides his length, I don't think that there's anything really elite about him or anything, and he's a little older than I prefer (I think he's already 23?), but he checks all the boxes. He just checks them as a B or B+ to me, very few A's in his range if you know what I mean. 

Haven't watched Lindstrom. I'll make sure to dig into him a little because I would potentially like to add an interior blocker in this draft (or a tackle; either or). 

I'm trying to learn more about the interior linemen for this draft as I think this could be the year we take one. I think this is Garnett's last year with the team unless he completely balls out. Person is a nice stop-gap for one more year, but I don't think he's a solution past 2019 and I'm not sold on Magnuson for much more than depth. We could use a guard that could sit behind Person for some or all of 2019 and step in and take his job. Lindstrom and Erik McCoy from Texas A&M are two that I like so far for the second round.

I watched all of the 1 on 1 reps. Really liked Amani Oruwariye's stack technique. Had a couple of inch perfect reps. Rock Ya-Sin does seem a touch limited in terms of top end speed, but those long arms really show more than the smaller than advertised height. He was trouble in man coverage and about the only dude all day to win a rep against Deebo Samuel (who was likewise very impressive). Sweat was dominant. Put a really talented dude on his butt with the speed to power. I think it was Tytus Howard or Andre Dillard, but I can't remember. Also, won even with bad ball get off and no bend against good technique just because his arms are so freaking long. His bend...is not what you'd like. Nor does he threaten the edge enough for my liking to set up those arms yet. And too often in the film (but less so in this practice), he tries to go with both arms rather than one arm is longer than two, thereby neutralizing his greatest asset. But man, those arms are weapons. Was interested to watch Sutton Smith's reps. He got washed out hard. Really liked Elgton Jenkins. Short set and then stoned some dudes. And his run blocking is even better, I expect. (Just ask my poor Auburn Tigers)

29 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Sweat was dominant. Put a really talented dude on his butt with the speed to power. I think it was Tytus Howard or Andre Dillard, but I can't remember.

Pretty sure I saw Sweat do it twice (put an OT on his arse with power). One on each side vs different OTs. 

2 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Pretty sure I saw Sweat do it twice (put an OT on his arse with power). One on each side vs different OTs. 

Yeah, I think so too. The second was a bit more vivid because he just ran through the guy in front of him. The first I think was the one I mentioned where he one the rep with the straight arm (hilariously so) after being in a pretty bad initial position. Forgot to mention Isaiah Johnson of Houston. Oruwariye for me had the cleanest footwork and overall technique (though could have done better with some of the good positions he put himself in, and doesn't have truly special quickness for his size). But Johnson was better in press, more handsy, and affected the ball better. Loved his explosion back to the ball on shorter routes and his long arms and overall size.