2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

14 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Agreed. At first, I was all about Allen at #2 but the more i watch him play I worry about him..especially after watching Brian Burns' highlights. Burns looks to have more pass rushing moves than Allen. I mean Allen could always develop but sometimes what you see is what youget. I was never on the Ferrell train but I think I'm slowly going to hop on. He doesn't have the elite burst but I could see Demarcus Lawrence 2.0 in him but again like you said if Bosa is gone, I want a trade down. 

That's actually the backward way to look at it though when looking at those two specifically. No doubt that Burns is more refined than Allen as a pass rusher - I think most of the edge guys in this class are, tbh. That's not something Allen has done on a full time basis - he spent massive amounts of time dropping into coverage, particularly before this year. But that's generally seen as a positive because pass rushing moves and things such as that are a coachable trait. It typically would mean that Allen isn't already maxed out. That's something that teams usually like. Burns has some really great traits as a pass rusher, and he's certainly more refined than Allen in that regard, yet one is considered a top 5 lock almost while the other isn't even seen as a guaranteed first round pick. There are certainly other things in play than just the refinement of their pass rushing prowess. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I actually like the D. Ware comparison. I see the Allen bus is emptying out...lol cool I'll ride it all the way to the draft. If he can go to a DC that can unleash him he's gonna be special. Sorta like a S I like last yr who just needed to be put in position to succeed. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sherm said:

I actually like the D. Ware comparison. I see the Allen bus is emptying out...lol cool I'll ride it all the way to the draft. If he can go to a DC that can unleash him he's gonna be special. Sorta like a S I like last yr who just needed to be put in position to succeed. 

This makes me feel slightly better. I'm sort of becoming terrified of picking Allen, Polite or Ferrell top 5. I'd still lean Allen, but there are legit concerns with each guy. Allen just epitomizes boom or bust to me. Feels very similar to Solly. 

11 hours ago, Forge said:

That's actually the backward way to look at it though when looking at those two specifically. No doubt that Burns is more refined than Allen as a pass rusher - I think most of the edge guys in this class are, tbh. That's not something Allen has done on a full time basis - he spent massive amounts of time dropping into coverage, particularly before this year. But that's generally seen as a positive because pass rushing moves and things such as that are a coachable trait. It typically would mean that Allen isn't already maxed out. That's something that teams usually like. Burns has some really great traits as a pass rusher, and he's certainly more refined than Allen in that regard, yet one is considered a top 5 lock almost while the other isn't even seen as a guaranteed first round pick. There are certainly other things in play than just the refinement of their pass rushing prowess. 

This is exactly why I want Allen over bosa. Bosa is already the best he's going to be. Plus the fact he wasn't an everydown player scares me a little bit. 

Allen has been a three down player and has gotten better every year. There is still room for him to grow and it sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.

Pass rushing is teachable, but not always learnable. Some of it is about feel and instinct

11 hours ago, N4L said:

This is exactly why I want Allen over bosa. Bosa is already the best he's going to be. Plus the fact he wasn't an everydown player scares me a little bit. 

Allen has been a three down player and has gotten better every year. There is still room for him to grow and it sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.

Pass rushing is teachable, but not always learnable. Some of it is about feel and instinct

I'm not going that far. Bosa is still my number 1 guy and I feel a lot safer with him. Yeah, he's more maxed out than Allen is as a pass rusher, but he's already an NFL caliber pass rusher, like his brother Joey was. And he can get better, even if it's not a ton. People did the same thing to Joey in his draft year (and some people even did it to MG). But if I think he's a double digit sack guy right from the jump, I'm probably not going to bypass that for Allen, who may still end up as the next Manny Lawson / Anthony Barr, which is a fine player, just not what we need at the #2 overall pick. I think that Allen is highly unlikely to bust out, given his versatility, but there's still a chance that he doesn't end up as a quality pass rusher in the league, and that's a risk. I don't have nearly the same amount of concerns regarding that with Bosa. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bu7VCs3ld5efCR3fDjj_vM09KjYbY_SBDkdJHRJPOew/edit?usp=sharing

2019 NFL Draft Database. Good draft resource. Updated all the combine players. All the video organized here. Have at it. 

Nice. Lil odd note from that info is the big 3 mostly being debated in here are all the same age. Seems with a So, Jr and Sr they would be a least a yr difference...only 5 months separating them. QW seems to get the So balled out early has the higher ceiling. Allen the Sr needed all 4 yrs to finally put it together...peaked late. Bosa the Jr who peaked and most pro ready but may have maxed out ceiling. 

8 hours ago, oldman9er said:

^ doesn't even look like a WR.

Hmmmm.... 

Good thing we don't have the #1 pick. If Bosa gets clean medical check at the combine and looks the part in the workout...all this noise will calm down.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Hello, Trent Baalke.

If he's there in the 3rd or 4th round and it is a clean tear I wouldn't mind taking him. As I said in this thread or another, he may have been the best player I saw in action in this draft.