2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

7 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Hollywood is so explosive and has shown good ability in route running and playing bigger than he is but he's not on my wish list, or lower down than where his talent maybe would lead someone to believe. As someone said earlier I really want a bigger bodied guy who can win jump balls and play physically. The added benefit of maybe being a bit more durable as well since all of our WRs are either small or slight. I like a lot of the WRs available in this years draft, Harry, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Harmon, Butler, Ridley, Samuel, Arcega-Whiteside, Jakobi Meyers, Tyre Brady, Keelan Doss, Preston Williams, Anthony Johnson, KeeSean Johnson, Antoine Wesley, Tyron Johnson, Stanley Morgan and Cody Thomspon are all guys who have height and/or size to them to play above the rim or physically that I've liked. There are other smaller guys I like as well but looking specifically for something different than what we have I like these guys. Rounds projected ranges anywhere from 1st to 7th really but my favorites for us at the top of the 2nd or 3rd (where I think we're likely to target one) is Harry, Brown, Harmon, Butler, Ridley, Samuel, Arcega-Whitesie, Doss. Preston Williams (if his background check and interviews check out) I think will be one hell of a steal and I really like KeeSean Johnson in those later rounds.

I just watched some of cody Thomspon... I thought he looked good. Nice size, decent speed, natural catcher. You have to watch his older stuff because it looked like his qb play this year was atrocious. At least it was in the Fresno game this year.

Lil Jordan Humphreys was impressive to me in the sugar bowl too. He was aggressive in wanting the ball, at least in that game. He is going to run slow though.

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

I just watched some of cody Thomspon... I thought he looked good. Nice size, decent speed, natural catcher. You have to watch his older stuff because it looked like his qb play this year was atrocious. At least it was in the Fresno game this year.

Lil Jordan Humphreys was impressive to me in the sugar bowl too. He was aggressive in wanting the ball, at least in that game. He is going to run slow though.

Honestly LJ Humphrey reminds me a lot of a WR who came out of USC a few years back, big framed WR who showed well and was productive but terribly slow and didn’t have the size or the type of game to convert to TE or even an H Back type. I believe his last name was Rogers. Humphrey is a tad bigger and more productive so maybe he can make the switch to Niles Paul role or something but I just don’t see him being able to produce in the NFL as he did in college with his pedestrian athleticism 

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Honestly LJ Humphrey reminds me a lot of a WR who came out of USC a few years back, big framed WR who showed well and was productive but terribly slow and didn’t have the size or the type of game to convert to TE or even an H Back type. I believe his last name was Rogers. Humphrey is a tad bigger and more productive so maybe he can make the switch to Niles Paul role or something but I just don’t see him being able to produce in the NFL as he did in college with his pedestrian athleticism 

Dwayne Jarrett maybe?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

On one of the scouting reports I viewed of him, it talked about they aren't sure which position he would play, which I assumed meant a possible switch to TE. He is big enough to do it. You're right though, very pedestrian athletically for a receiver and wouldn't be that great for a TE either. But he does have size and like I said, I like how aggressive he is at going after the ball.

Just watched three games of Chauncey Gardner from FLA and I really like this kid as a do it all safety. Has a really good feel for the game and is involved in a lot of plays typically found around the ball. I feel he can play single high safety effectively, be lined up in the slot as well as blitz and come down in run support. If he's there in the 2nd and we haven't addressed FS through FA I would not be upset in the least if he was our pick.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Just watched three games of Chauncey Gardner from FLA and I really like this kid as a do it all safety. Has a really good feel for the game and is involved in a lot of plays typically found around the ball. I feel he can play single high safety effectively, be lined up in the slot as well as blitz and come down in run support. If he's there in the 2nd and we haven't addressed FS through FA I would not be upset in the least if he was our pick.

I agree he wouldn't be a bad consolation prize if we lose out on Adderley. Hes been my 2nd ranked safety for us.

Yeah I'm a fan of CGJ...but looking at S that we can get in the mid rds. Came across Mike Bell of Fresno St(6'3 203 lbs). Dude has the length we look for and has decent ball skills. Want to see how athletic he test at the combine. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sherm said:

Yeah I'm a fan of CGJ...but looking at S that we can get in the mid rds. Came across Mike Bell of Fresno St(6'3 203 lbs). Dude has the length we look for and has decent ball skills. Want to see how athletic he test at the combine. 

Mike Bell is a guy I wouldn’t mind adding if we added a starter at FS via through FA but I’m not a fan of relying on a mid round FS to be our difference maker on the back end. He is a nice prospect though for sure. Him and Mike Edwards would be my middle round prospects at FS for sure. 

2 hours ago, sherm said:

Bell is nice for sure. I'm biased of course, but he was really solid all season. Him and Hughes were one of the best safety duos in all of NCAA last year. Wouldn't mind taking either in the mid-late rounds. 

This is actually looking like a good safety class. Not all that flashy but nice players to be had all across the draft. 

@Forge, may have found some LBs available in the middle to late rounds who may peak your interest, Cole Holcomb of UNC, Dakota Allen of TTU, Ryan Connelly of Wisconsin, Tyrell Dodson of Texas A&M, Terrill Hanks of NMSU, Gary Johnson of Texas, Ben Burr-Kirven of Washington, Blake Cashman of Minnesota, Nate Hall of Northwestern. I think all these guys could be had in the 4th or later and definitely have some warts to their game but have flashed for me either.

8 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

@Forge, may have found some LBs available in the middle to late rounds who may peak your interest, Cole Holcomb of UNC, Dakota Allen of TTU, Ryan Connelly of Wisconsin, Tyrell Dodson of Texas A&M, Terrill Hanks of NMSU, Gary Johnson of Texas, Ben Burr-Kirven of Washington, Blake Cashman of Minnesota, Nate Hall of Northwestern. I think all these guys could be had in the 4th or later and definitely have some warts to their game but have flashed for me either.

Dakota Allen is another Last Chance U guy (btw). He's definitely on my short list of mid round guys I'd be cool with. 

• Like 1

Found another intriguing LB prospect. Josiah Tauaefa out of UTSA. Bigger guy at 6’1 240ish but plays like a mad man almost to the point where he tires himself out. Has some plays where he flashes in pursuit, shedding blockers, run fits and the ability to get the ball carrier down where he meets em. Other times will be too out of control an either over run it, confuse himself or be to overzealous and not read his keys. But his flashes show me that something there and can make plays for sure. Shows decent awareness in zone coverage and chase down ability in man but definitely wouldn’t be asking him to lock any one down. Great blitzer. Overall those flashes he has make me believe there’s something to work with there, and I love the way he plays the game. Get him some NFL coaching and conditioning program and I think there’s a starter in there for sure.

Edited by Fureys49ers

I am completely enamored with David Montgomery. He just reminds me so much of Saquon Barkley. Its the way he dips his hips and explodes any direction. He has great feet and elite vision. He has good power and creates tough angles for defenders to get a clean shot on him. Hes tough to wrap up and bring down. He also has a lot of plays where he tries to do too much and gets a couple yards less than he might have, which was the only knock on Saquon coming out. 

Saquon's top end speed/power combination is what makes him truly special. Montgomery is not going to be as good as the #2 overall pick, but he is going to be a damn good runner in the NFL. He doesnt have the top end speed that Barkley has, despite being 20 pounds lighter and an inch shorter (5'11 216 vs 6'0 234), but Id bet he posts some good squat numbers and elite short area burst at the combine. Short area burst is more important than straightline speed for a RB.

We all know shanny needs his RBs to be able to catch passes, and Montgomery wasnt really asked to catch that many passes at Iowa St, but when he was, he looked natural at it. Shanny also seems to require his runners to be able to get the corner on the stretch run plays, and that is a play that Iowa St ran frequently. He was really good at finding the cut back lanes on these plays and wouldnt necessarily beat guys to the outside with pure speed all that often. Thats not to say he is slow, just that he isnt breida fast. Iowa State's OL left a lot to be desired. 

I think that Montgomery and Breida would be a great pairing. We need a between the tackles grind it out runner. We dont have one and we havent had one. Montgomery can fill that role while also fulfilling other duties within the playbook. If he can show he can catch passes, then I think he would be a slam dunk run to podium type of player for us.  

https://www.cover1.net/david-montgomery-running-back-iowa-state/ (I googled David Montgomery Saquon Barkley and this came up, so Im clearly not the only person to see this)

I just wonder if RB is even on our FO's list of needs and if they feel like they would even try to take him in the 2nd or trade into the late second in order to get him. Honestly, watching the tape I question if he will even make it out of the first round. Hes a better prospect in my eyes than Sonny Michel, who I really liked and who the pats took earlier than some expected in the end of the first round.Who knows where he will get drafted. All I know is that whoever gets him will be getting themselves a helluva football player who is also a great athlete. Hopefully that is us. Either way he is going to be on a lot of my fantasy football teams next year lol

I think our offense would dangerous with a three headed monster of McKinnon, Breida, Montgomery and would hedge against injuries. All three guys are well rounded but would bring a different skill set to the table. 

From a team building perspective, I think its better to spend resources on defense because Kyle has proven he can score points with anyone on offense. With that being said, I would be stoked if we could land Josh Allen, David Montgomery, and Hakeem Butler. Butler especially has HUGE upside. Then Id want another LB, a FS, and depth wherever they think is necessary. I also want to add another TE but I know I cant have it all lol

Butler brings the size we basically havent ever had. He is very quick for his size and has good body control. I dont see him extend his arms out that much when he catches passes, there are too many body catches for my taste, which sort of negates his size advantage, but Im hoping thats something he can work on. He is a good route runner and at 6'6, technician route runners are rare. I see AJ Green as the comp

I doubt we would ever spend a high pick on a runner because the shanahans have ALWAYS been able to find good runningbacks off the street, but David Montgomery would add a wrinkle to our offense we havent had... a true workhorse running back who can do literally everything. I also doubt we spend too many resources on offense, but it is clear to me that we need another WR (or another dynamic TE) and we cant just rely on McKinnon and Breida to be healthy if we want to make a deep playoff run. Imo we need one more RB. I said the same thing last offseason, but in a deep RB class we didnt take anyone... so who knows

We absolutely need a WR, and this is a deep WR class, so hopefully we can come away with someone who is ready to contribute right away who also has all-pro potential because they have the ball skills to be a monster in the redzone (deep WR class probably makes an AB trade less likely honestly)

It will be interesting to see what Kyle and Lynch want to do. Only TWO MORE MONTHS until the draft!

JOSH ALLEN

Edited by N4L

6 hours ago, N4L said:

I am completely enamored with David Montgomery. He just reminds me so much of Saquon Barkley. Its the way he dips his hips and explodes any direction. He has great feet and elite vision. He has good power and creates tough angles for defenders to get a clean shot on him. Hes tough to wrap up and bring down. He also has a lot of plays where he tries to do too much and gets a couple yards less than he might have, which was the only knock on Saquon coming out. 

Saquon's top end speed/power combination is what makes him truly special. Montgomery is not going to be as good as the #2 overall pick, but he is going to be a damn good runner in the NFL. He doesnt have the top end speed that Barkley has, despite being 20 pounds lighter and an inch shorter (5'11 216 vs 6'0 234), but Id bet he posts some good squat numbers and elite short area burst at the combine. Short area burst is more important than straightline speed for a RB.

We all know shanny needs his RBs to be able to catch passes, and Montgomery wasnt really asked to catch that many passes at Iowa St, but when he was, he looked natural at it. Shanny also seems to require his runners to be able to get the corner on the stretch run plays, and that is a play that Iowa St ran frequently. He was really good at finding the cut back lanes on these plays and wouldnt necessarily beat guys to the outside with pure speed all that often. Thats not to say he is slow, just that he isnt breida fast. Iowa State's OL left a lot to be desired. 

I think that Montgomery and Breida would be a great pairing. We need a between the tackles grind it out runner. We dont have one and we havent had one. Montgomery can fill that role while also fulfilling other duties within the playbook. If he can show he can catch passes, then I think he would be a slam dunk run to podium type of player for us.  

https://www.cover1.net/david-montgomery-running-back-iowa-state/ (I googled David Montgomery Saquon Barkley and this came up, so Im clearly not the only person to see this)

I just wonder if RB is even on our FO's list of needs and if they feel like they would even try to take him in the 2nd or trade into the late second in order to get him. Honestly, watching the tape I question if he will even make it out of the first round. Hes a better prospect in my eyes than Sonny Michel, who I really liked and who the pats took earlier than some expected in the end of the first round.Who knows where he will get drafted. All I know is that whoever gets him will be getting themselves a helluva football player who is also a great athlete. Hopefully that is us. Either way he is going to be on a lot of my fantasy football teams next year lol

I think our offense would dangerous with a three headed monster of McKinnon, Breida, Montgomery and would hedge against injuries. All three guys are well rounded but would bring a different skill set to the table. 

From a team building perspective, I think its better to spend resources on defense because Kyle has proven he can score points with anyone on offense. With that being said, I would be stoked if we could land Josh Allen, David Montgomery, and Hakeem Butler. Butler especially has HUGE upside. Then Id want another LB, a FS, and depth wherever they think is necessary. I also want to add another TE but I know I cant have it all lol

Butler brings the size we basically havent ever had. He is very quick for his size and has good body control. I dont see him extend his arms out that much when he catches passes, there are too many body catches for my taste, which sort of negates his size advantage, but Im hoping thats something he can work on. He is a good route runner and at 6'6, technician route runners are rare. I see AJ Green as the comp

I doubt we would ever spend a high pick on a runner because the shanahans have ALWAYS been able to find good runningbacks off the street, but David Montgomery would add a wrinkle to our offense we havent had... a true workhorse running back who can do literally everything. I also doubt we spend too many resources on offense, but it is clear to me that we need another WR (or another dynamic TE) and we cant just rely on McKinnon and Breida to be healthy if we want to make a deep playoff run. Imo we need one more RB. I said the same thing last offseason, but in a deep RB class we didnt take anyone... so who knows

We absolutely need a WR, and this is a deep WR class, so hopefully we can come away with someone who is ready to contribute right away who also has all-pro potential because they have the ball skills to be a monster in the redzone (deep WR class probably makes an AB trade less likely honestly)

It will be interesting to see what Kyle and Lynch want to do. Only TWO MORE MONTHS until the draft!

JOSH ALLEN

It's kind of nitpicking but when I watched him I saw more frank gore than saquon. Not quite the same amount of power that Frank had and possibly a little more elusive. Saquons whole combination to me makes him special. Not only top end speed but elite levels all the way around including short area quickness. He starts and stops on a dime. I saw it a couple of times with Montgomery but not near as much with saquon. I think he will be a nice player, I didnt see a must get. Like I said nitpicky. It's tough for me to compare Montgomery and Sony because I think they are very different backs. And I guess if we wanted a gritty back for short yardage my preference would be Bennie Snell. I do agree that is a need but I imagine you are also correct that it isn't a need from the front office perspective. 

Edited by Ftn49