2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

Will you guys be sad if the 49ers take Quinnen Williams with the 2nd overall pick? Assuming Bosa is taken, and a trade down doesn't materialize. It would be yet another interior defensive lineman, but apparently he may qualify as BPA. Personally, I'd like the 49ers to take a chance with the top pass rusher. If that's Josh Allen at number 2 overall, then so be. The team has to do something, even if it may come off as desperate. 

Edited by PapaShogun

9 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Will you guys be sad if the 49ers take Quinnen Williams with the 2nd overall pick? Assuming Bosa is taken, and a trade down doesn't materialize. It would be yet another interior defensive lineman, but apparently he may qualify as BPA. Personally, I'd like the 49ers to take a chance with the top pass rusher. If that's Josh Allen at number 2 overall, then so be. The team has to do something, even if it may come off as desperate. 

Would i like it? Probably not but i can understand it from a BPA perspective. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Would i like it? Probably not but i can understand it from a BPA perspective. 

My thoughts as well. I’d hope we could unload Armstead and maybe a mid round pick for some of these older, scheme mismatch guys if that were the case to help out at edge then like a Justin Houston or JPP just to clear some of the clutter on the depth chart at IDL. But Williams is definitely a special talent at DT and played all over the DL at Bama including NT where I think he’d play for us. Having our three IDL look like Buckner, Williams and Thomas would definitely be tempting but our edge positions would have to be addressed through trade and FA then. With depth like Jones, Day, Street, Taylor we’d have ourselves a very impressive, young DL and may even take some pressure off finding a real difference maker at LB next Warner. I’m sure Warner’s play would only get better even quicker with a DL like that in front of him. Again, would have to see edge, both LEO and SAM addresses through trade and FA (atleast two new additions) if I was going to feel really comfortable with Q being our pick at 2. But the talent is deserving of that pick in my mind.

Edited by Fureys49ers

I can live with Williams if we're aggressive in trading guys for mid round picks (namely Armstead/Thomas ) on top of trading back into the first to grab someone like Ferrell or Burns (one of which could drop to the early 20's. 

Edited by John232

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I'll be pissed. Not right after we make the pick or a month later. In early September when we're trying to win a close gm...yet our defense can't get off the field on 3rd downs. And we all start complaing about the lack of pass rush and look ahead towards 2020 draft asking who are the best pass rushers we can draft. 

Like last yr when I didn't get mad when we drafted McG to protect Jimmy G. I did get pissed we passed on Derwin James when Pat Mahomes was carving us up in KC cuz we don't have any playmakers in our secondary.

• Like 2

I would be absolutely livid. We have no reason to take Q. Wms AT ALL. We have sooooooo many capable players and at least one rising star at DL/DT. I would rather trade down and grab an EDGE than take Q Wms. I do not want another year of no pressure from the outside.

I was initially surprised and dismayed at the McG selection last year...it didn't take long for me to get over it. 

Q? I would be ticked for an awful long time. He just isn't what we need--yes, I do feel you go with your greatest need in a time like this. It's desperate out there at the EDGE, guys. We have no one any opposing Offense would respect on the outside. We have GOT to fix that and not just with FA or the Draft: BOTH.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I would be absolutely livid. We have no reason to take Q. Wms AT ALL. We have sooooooo many capable players and at least one rising star at DL/DT. I would rather trade down and grab an EDGE than take Q Wms. I do not want another year of no pressure from the outside.

I was initially surprised and dismayed at the McG selection last year...it didn't take long for me to get over it. 

Q? I would be ticked for an awful long time. He just isn't what we need--yes, I do feel you go with your greatest need in a time like this. It's desperate out there at the EDGE, guys. We have no one any opposing Offense would respect on the outside. We have GOT to fix that and not just with FA or the Draft: BOTH.

I will say this;.Williams and Buckner inside is probably 8 years of HOF level production inside (at least).. Q. Williams is pretty easily the best DT Prospect i've seen since Suh and I'd argue he's better. He's pretty much a perfect prospect. I would still prefer Bosa as I think he's pretty special in his own right, but I won't freak out over Wiliams. But if we do go with Williams, I just really hope we move Thomas or Armstead for some value. 

4 minutes ago, John232 said:

I will say this;.Williams and Buckner inside is probably 8 years of HOF level production inside (at least).. Q. Williams is pretty easily the best DT Prospect i've seen since Suh and I'd argue he's better. He's pretty much a perfect prospect. I would still prefer Bosa as I think he's pretty special in his own right, but I won't freak out over Wiliams. But if we do go with Williams, I just really hope we move Thomas or Armstead for some value

I think our team values them more than any other. Otherwise, one of them would be gone already.

5 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I think our team values them more than any other. Otherwise, one of them would be gone already.

Yeah and understandably so.They also basically play different positions.  I think they always looked at Thomas as a bit of a project..but he's just fallen way below even that standard. Artmead has legitimate value. Thing is..Quinnen can do what both of them do but better or at the very least replacement value.  

8 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah and understandably so.They also basically play different positions.  I think they always looked at Thomas as a bit of a project..but he's just fallen way below even that standard. Artmead has legitimate value. Thing is..Quinnen can do what both of them do but better or at the very least replacement value.  

And we would still be left with nothing on the outside. No thanks.

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still"-- I don't see us agreeing on this, ever. I don't want him. We don't need him.

No offense meant, but I'm moving on...

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

And we would still be left with nothing on the outside. No thanks.

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still"-- I don't see us agreeing on this, ever. I don't want him. We don't need him.

No offense meant, but I'm moving on...

No offense taken. Worth noting, I'm one of the other people that have adamantly argued against drafting Quinnen. I love him as a prospect so it's hard for me to hate us picking him, but totally agree with your sentiment. Anything less than a doubled down effort to address the edge position from multiple avenues is nothing short of an abject failure on the part of our FO. 

• Like 1

Not going BPA, especially at the top of the draft is a huge mistake; if it’s close, ok, but personally I’d be way more upset if we reached for a position of need and passed on a legit blue chip prospect. We could still ‘double down’ with our second pick. Luckily for us Bosa and Allen look like legit edge prospects. I want a legit edge player as much as anyone, but I feel like the attitude of passing on elite players just because they are ‘not needed’ is how bad teams stay bad. 

• Like 2