2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's been my guy (2nd behind Hollywood Brown of course) all along, but my wish of him dropping to the 2nd round doesn't seem likely now. Almost surely he goes in the first round right? Has the film and now the measurables to back up his freak status. 

Yeah, I think he has to be a lock for round 1 (sorry @Fureys49ers), particularly with some receiver needy teams at the bottom of round 1. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher than the end of round 1 either. But you're talking Indy, Seattle, New England, Raiders all having receiver issues, all having late first picks. Then a team like Tennessee a little higher up. His measurables with that kind of speed just isn't the most common thing.

His combine right now if very similar to Kenny Golloday's, and we have seen how strong he has come out of the box as a receiver, and when you consider that A) Butler has better tape than Golladay did coming out, B) Butler has arms 3 inches longer and much larger hands,  and C) is better with the ball in his hands, it's even better. 

Also, Josh Oliver performing well overall. Nothing that super stands out, but low key just having a nice combine. I'm not sure if he will be given the depth of the class, but he really should be a day 2 pick. 

4 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I'm good with so many WRs in rd 2, it be crazy, lmao. Add Boykin to the list!

Honestly, there will be quite a bit of options for us in the 2nd round at WR. Similar to last year. 

Butler opposite of Pettis would have been something else. Oh well..........

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Would you rather have Bosa and say Samuel/Brown/Harmon or Burns/Allen/Polite and OBJ? 

For me, even as a huge fan of Bosa, I'll take the latter. At least then I know I'm getting at least one superstar, even if I don't love the positional importance. 

To piggy back further on this, though, does it change if we have to give up our first round pick next year in this transaction? Lets say the deal is a swap of 6 and 2, our third round pick this year, and our first next year. Does that change the equation? 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, there will be quite a bit of options for us in the 2nd round at WR. Similar to last year. 

Butler opposite of Pettis would have been something else. Oh well..........

You're locked in on Butler being off the board at 36?  ( certainly possible, but I remain dubious )

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

For me, even as a huge fan of Bosa, I'll take the latter. At least then I know I'm getting at least one superstar, even if I don't love the positional importance. 

To piggy back further on this, though, does it change if we have to give up our first round pick next year in this transaction? Lets say the deal is a swap of 6 and 2, our third round pick this year, and our first next year. Does that change the equation? 

So a 2020 1st instead of 2019 2nd? Nah, I'm fine with that. Really, if we do well next season and make the playoffs, the value of a 2020 1st compared to a 2019 early 2nd are fairly even.

11 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

You're locked in on Butler being off the board at 36?  ( certainly possible, but I remain dubious )

Yeah, I think he will be a 1st rounder. Again, all the measurables aside, he has some really good tape out there. Put those two together, and you have a top 15-25 draft pick. 

9 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I don't see how he's not gone in the first. The combination of everything is just pretty rare. Guys at his size shouldn't be running 4.49 (and those that do are Megatron like special talents running sub 4.4's). You could have made a case for him at 36 before the combine, and a lot of people did (I would have been okay with the pick, though I've said it before, I don't love, love Butler). When you put these type of numbers together, with the teams that need receivers, I don't see how he's there through round 1. He may not be the first receiver off the board (that could still be Metcalf), but again, Butler's metrics are pretty rare, and his tape is good. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So a 2020 1st instead of 2020 2nd? Nah, I'm fine with that. Really, if we do well next season and make the playoffs, the value of a 2020 1st compared to a 2019 early 2nd are fairly even.

I would agree. I think optically, a 2020 first is just more appealing for the Giants as opposed to #36 this year. I don't know why, just do. 

The thing is, at 6, I think that does open us up to further trade down possibilities as well. So that is kind of nice. The scary thing though is that around #6, you are also getting to a point where a position other than Edge becomes a realistic target as well. If we trade down to 6, and draft White, I would totally understand it to be perfectly honest. So you do run some risk of making that move and then not take an Edge rusher with your first pick and then fall into a hole where you haven't satisfactorily addressed the EDGE position unless you did something in free agency. I don't know if Lynch and Shanny would do that, but I Think it's at least something that could potentially happen. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would agree. I think optically, a 2020 first is just more appealing for the Giants as opposed to #36 this year. I don't know why, just do. 

The thing is, at 6, I think that does open us up to further trade down possibilities as well. So that is kind of nice. The scary thing though is that around #6, you are also getting to a point where a position other than Edge becomes a realistic target as well. If we trade down to 6, and draft White, I would totally understand it to be perfectly honest. So you do run some risk of making that move and then not take an Edge rusher with your first pick and then fall into a hole where you haven't satisfactorily addressed the EDGE position unless you did something in free agency. I don't know if Lynch and Shanny would do that, but I Think it's at least something that could potentially happen. 

I mean 2019 2nd not 2020 2nd, but I think you caught that anyways lol.

The thing is, there may be a good chance Allen is available at #6. Let's say Card go Murray, Giants go Haskins, Jets go Bosa and the Raiders go Williams. You have the Bucs at #6, and not sure they go Allen, but I guess there is a possibility.

Wouldn't mind trading back some from #6 and accumulating some picks to be able to move up back in the 1st round. Or accumulate some picks to get a 2020 1st rounder that we lost in the OBJ hypothetical trade. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean 2019 2nd not 2020 2nd, but I think you caught that anyways lol.

The thing is, there may be a good chance Allen is available at #6. Let's say Card go Murray, Giants go Haskins, Jets go Bosa and the Raiders go Williams. You have the Bucs at #6, and not sure they go Allen, but I guess there is a possibility.

Wouldn't mind trading back some from #6 and accumulating some picks to be able to move up back in the 1st round. Or accumulate some picks to get a 2020 1st rounder that we lost in the OBJ hypothetical trade. 

The Bucs could certainly make the play Allen, as he'd slot in as an olb in their new 3-4, but the draft would be uber interesting at this point because you really don't know what in the world the Raiders are going to do. In this situation, I could see them take Allen because they need edge help so bad, or Williams based on a BPA analysis, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they did something super duper weird like take DK Metcalf lol. It's so hard to know where their headspace is at. If they went in some weird direction like Metcalf or offensive line, I could certainly see the Bucs preferring Q over Allen in a 3-4 on the defensive line, and that would leave Allen for us at 6. So I agree that there's a legit possibility that we could still get Allen at 6. I don't think I'd view it as likely, but I think the possibility is absolutely there. 

Archived