2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

18 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

What I'm saying is when I watched his tape, I saw him beating TEs and and a couple of OTs who will probably never play a down in the NFL. Alot of 5-man pressures, overload blitzes, which freed him up and caused breakdowns in blocking schemes. But when he was one-on-one against OTs with teams like Bama, Georgia, and Florida, teams that have legitimate NFL caliber O-Lineman on the edges, he was pretty much invisible. A couple pressures here and there when he got a good first step and caught a guy leaning. Think he did beat Jonah Williams with a speed rush for a sack. Might have been the kid from Florida...can't really recall but nothing that would make me believe he could be a difference maker, on the edge, at the next level. Maybe you saw different and that's fine...we can disagree.

The Georgia game in particular stood out to me. Don't know the TEs name but #89 block him one-on-one pretty much all game and I saw him give up maybe one pressure to Allen. That's was very concerning for me, when judging him as a pass-rusher. 

Understood. I follow your point on trying to weight reps against quality tackles in the hope that these reps are more indicitive of the NFL than the overall sample size, but lets be fair to Allen - none of these pass rushers had that many reps against quality tackles. Few had many good reps. It's difficult to know much from such small sample sizes. I remember the Georgia game you are referencing in particular. Allen did have a terrible day against their TE - but largely in the run game (as Georgia had little cause to throw the ball). Not that he was much better in the pass game against Georgia's tackles. He did make the two biggest plays of the game for Kentucky that kept them in the game on defense - bursting past a tackle twice to recover dropped snaps before the QB/RB could fall on them properly. Those two reps don't count as two wins against tackles, for sure, but they were also plays he made. I personally didn't see as many of the overload blitzes as you saw, but it is possible I am mistaken. Some stunts, certainly, and he torched a couple overmatched guards. The thing is, though. He did have the most pressures in the class on a per snap basis for edge defenders. This is verifiable information composed of play against both good and bad tackles but in a quality conference. 

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Ugh. I really don't like the 1st 3 rounds of that draft. I think I'm going to be sick....  

The 4th? Somewhat redeems a round or two previous with JJ Arcega-Whiteside (whom I think will be gone in Day 2) and David Long...but my those 1st 3 are horrid. Blech.

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Ugh. I really don't like the 1st 3 rounds of that draft. I think I'm going to be sick....  

The 4th? Somewhat redeems a round or two previous with JJ Arcega-Whiteside (whom I think will be gone in Day 2) and David Long...but my those 1st 3 are horrid. Blech.

Don't pay any attention to Reuter. Pretty sure he used to be one of those awful guys at CBS who never made any sense (CBS has long been my least favorite of any of the draft guys). Even the compensation is light to move from 2 to 4 if you think about it and he didn't do enough research.  We moved down 2 to 3 two years ago and acquired Current 3 & 4, future 3. But now we are goingn to move down one more spot but actually get less? A current 4 and a future 2nd (value 3rd, which oh btw, the Raiders don't have their second round pick next year - that belongs to the bears I'm pretty sure). We are a whole 3rd round pick short on that from moving down from 2 to 3 two years ago. 

I don't mind Adderly in round 2, but it's just not going to happen in my opinion. I am a firm believer that if we draft a safety in this draft, it comes post round 4. I think round 2 is all but a guarantee to be a receiver. Bunting in round 3 is not a pick I'm a fan of. Could we use more depth? Sure, always. I wouldn't trust Verrett to stay healthy. But addressing a depth piece before an absolute need at receiver seems self defeating. 

Also, I love that he calls an early round 4 pick "a premium pick" LOL. 

16 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

He has Drew Lock going #2 to the Raiders? lmao, that would be awesome!

QW is a eh, ok pick for me.. Adderley, I like enough... value's good, but leaving first rounders still on the board.

Bunting is a pure Combine star reach at 67, imo. Yer boy JJAW would be great there, but I agree.. suspect he should be off the board by the mid 3rd.

There are a lot of picks in there that surprise (as in seem poorly valued/eval), though the Draft will always have some puzzlers. 

46 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Ed Oliver had I'm self a day. Always thought he was being projected way to low. Happy for him.

Sure did.. and really, I doubt he ever really wavered from top 12 anyway. 

To a lesser Combine/Pro Day proven level.. I feel the same about Ferrell. He's been getting overlooked and disrespected out of the top half of the Draft, but he should also be a top 12 guy, imo. ( I have both top 5 )

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

Charlie Woerner is the TEs name, he's been kind of their blocking TE with Nauta there. There is a big gap at TE next year so we will see how that goes. I'm not familiar with Bama and Florida's Ts but UGA is built for the run and they ran it most of that game so its not like he had that much opportunity. And he did get two turnovers in that game. Btw, did you see D. Swift in that game? I had forgotten until I pulled up the highlights. Dude is going to be one of the next elite NFL backs. UGA might have 6 first round picks next year. Swift, Fromm, Isiah Wilson, Andrew Thomas, JR Reed and a number of others that could be pushing first round grades depending how the season goes. 

Very true, it's was mostly a run-oreinted game plan from UGA but he's going to see that at this level also. And it was more the fact that once the TE got ahold of him, he was neutralized. He couldn't get off blocks.

Archived